Recruits from the Air Force weekend

stcgopher

Reaction score
I am surprised that the festivities from last weekend were not enough to push at least one recruit over the edge right after the visit, from what I saw on TV and read on here the place was electric. Granted many of these guys probably have the U at the tops of their list now, I am just surprised. Any thoughts welcomed..........

** Can anyone give an update on Josh Huff, I was curious to see how he compared the U to Utah after being up here? Regardless, I think we changed a lot of minds that night (of recruits who were softs elsewhere).

I think that with Brewster we go after higher profile recruits who have multiple high-quality Division I offers. Because of that they have a lot more options that they have to look at. We are probably high on a lot of recruits but 3 and 4* guys have the option to take longer to make a decision.

It is a little odd to me as well. I agree with the previous poster that possibly these guys have big options and need to take more time. But the feedback was better than it has ever been and we've had committments out of these weekends in the past two years. I guess I expected to see a couple, maybe just hopefulness.

It was the first official visit for most of these young men. They are probably doing, what I would advise them to do, make at least three official visits then decide. As it is most of them left with real positive impressions.

Considering the fact that it was the first game of the year in a brand new stadium, I'm "banking" on their other visits not being as awesome.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I am surprised that the festivities from last weekend were not enough to push at least one recruit over the edge right after the visit, from what I saw on TV and read on here the place was electric. Granted many of these guys probably have the U at the tops of their list now, I am just surprised. Any thoughts welcomed.
Well for one, most of these guys are committed elsewhere, so they would probably want to depart with the other team first, then commit to us. Also, some guys have only had one visit, so they'll likely check out another school or two before deciding - to be sure.

Can anyone give an update on Josh Huff, I was curious to see how he compared the U to Utah after being up here? Regardless, I think we changed a lot of minds that night (of recruits who were softs elsewhere).
Huff is a good example of what I said above. He is committed to Utah, but has yet to visit their campus. He did say "my interest level with Minnesota is really big. I just don't want to make a final decision until I visit Utah. It will be very hard for Utah to hold off Minnesota. They offer a great football environment, great football and academic facilities and fans love the Gophers."

Hey we did get one... a basketball recruit.

Well for one, most of these guys are committed elsewhere, so they would probably want to depart with the other team first, then commit to us. Also, some guys have only had one visit, so they'll likely check out another school or two before deciding - to be sure.

Huff is a good example of what I said above. He is committed to Utah, but has yet to visit their campus. He did say "my interest level with Minnesota is really big. I just don't want to make a final decision until I visit Utah. It will be very hard for Utah to hold off Minnesota. They offer a great football environment, great football and academic facilities and fans love the Gophers."

1) I totally agree, there was just a little part of me that thought we'd see one, but with the group that was brought in it makes a ton of sense that unless one just over-reacted, they'd soak it all in and validate it by taking another visit and seeing that the MN situation is pretty unique.

2) Good to hear about Huff. That leaves three 4* backs that came in that weekend, and said in interviews that MN blew them away (and if they didn't say we were in the lead they implied it). Obviously a great problem to have, but when it comes down to it, if all 3 would want to come here would we turn a 4* RB away? Let me preface this with this: I understand because we are in the lead for them in Sept, it doesn't mean things won't change, but after them being at that AF, I feel pretty confident.

I think some of it will depend on the Gophers ability to maintain a solid level of play.

Yes, but most 4* players want to come in and start as a Frosh -- which could potentially happen considering our backfield. Keep in mind too, that we can red-shirt one if needed.

One more point I'd like to make that I overlooked before is that these are our preferred recruits. It's not some 2* with a couple offers. These guys are getting a dozen offers, so it's hard to jump at the first visit. The fact that a couple guys know players already on the team or committed to us, and that they were quoted saying they need to sit down with family, really shows we have a good shot. Still, injuries, grades, and other last minute visits can always get in the way.

Maybe they weren't as impressed as everyone thinks. Granted, I think they were happy and loved the atmosphere but I don't know if it can blow away most football atmospheres. There is no doubt the atmosphere was great but so are many other places.

Top Bottom