Recruiting

Am I correct in remembering that Lauren is the one who wants to play both volleyball and basketball? If so, I can't imagine that she could get a better pair of head coaches than Whalen and Hugh. I am an avid Gopher volleyball fan, but don't know much about the volleyball programs outside the BIG (which is THE conference for college volleyball), but are all of the schools in her final five volleyball powers also? I was a bit surprised to see that Nebraska was not in her final five, as they are close to home and they, like the Gophers, are volleyball powers. If the Gophers can get her, this would be a very good get.

Am I correct in remembering that Lauren is the one who wants to play both volleyball and basketball? If so, I can't imagine that she could get a better pair of head coaches than Whalen and Hugh. I am an avid Gopher volleyball fan, but don't know much about the volleyball programs outside the BIG (which is THE conference for college volleyball), but are all of the schools in her final five volleyball powers also? I was a bit surprised to see that Nebraska was not in her final five, as they are close to home and they, like the Gophers, are volleyball powers. If the Gophers can get her, this would be a very good get.
As noted earlier, the top volleyball schools among those five would be Texas, Minnesota and UCLA, probably in that order (UCLA has had retention issues and seems to be fading). Tennessee has had some good years but is still recovering from a coaching change and the SEC isn't super-relevant in volleyball (although Florida and Kentucky are usually good). Arizona has good seasons when they snag a top talent or two but has trouble being a consistent force in the PAC.

Class of 2021 offered/Ranked top 60:
-Greta Kampschroeder, 6’0 G, Naperville (IL) ESPN Ranked #14 (visited under Stollings so not sure if still offered or being looked at by gophers)
-Ariana Wiggins, 5’8 G, Heritage Christian (IN) ESPN Ranked #26
-Sophie Hart-Farmington-6’4 Center ESPN Ranked #46
-Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward
-Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward
-Kendall Coley-St.Louis Park-6’1 Guard
-Ellie Dague-Henning-5’9 Guard

Who do the gophers have offered for 2021?

the #1 rated Player in the state for class of 2021. Very nice get. Will be coming in as Pitts and Hubbard depart.

I wonder if she was the commit whalen tweeted about a couple weeks ago and also when we will see the announcement of the commit for her. Lets hope Whalen and staff can turn it into a trend getting the top ranked MN kid to stay home in 2022 and 2023 and so on.

It's McKenzie.

ESPN Hoopgurlz updated rankings for 2020 through 2023. I figured instead of posting each list under each headline, I would do one big post. As always, this is simply what I know does or at least at one point had a gopher offer and has not publicly removed them from contention. If you know of someone I missed of any class, please feel free to add.

Gopher 2020 Commit Eric Hedman is Ranked #75 in ESPN Top 100 of 2020.

Class of 2020: (3 available scholarships)

Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #17
Aaliyah Edwards, 6’2 W, Canada, ESPN Ranked #26
Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #30
Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #42
Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #46
Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #59
Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL)
Sarah Te-Biasu , 5’3 PG, Canada
Alyssa Ustby-Rochester Lourdes-6’2 Guard/Forward

Class of 2021:

Greta Kampschroeder, 6’0 G, Naperville (IL) ESPN Ranked #12
Jersey Wolfenbarger, 6’1 PG, Northside HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #19
Ariana Wiggins, 5’8 G, Heritage Christian (IN) ESPN Ranked #29
Sophie Hart-Farmington MN-6’4 Center ESPN Ranked #43
Sydney Affolter, 5’11 G/F, Marist HS (IL)
Kendall Coley-St.Louis Park-6’1 Guard
Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward
Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward
Ellie Dague-Henning-5’9 Guard

2022:

Maya Nnaji-Hopkins-6’3 Forward ESPN Ranked #8
KK Branford, 5’10 G, Mount Notre Dame HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #9
Aaliyah Smith, 5’5 PG, Verona HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #11
Mallory Heyer-Chaska-6’2 Forward
Amaya Battle-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’10 Guard
Mara Braun-Wayzata-5’9 Guard
Nia Holloway-Eden Prairie-6’1 Forward
Ellie Buzzelle-Rogers-5’9 Guard

2023:

Kamorea Arnold-5’6 PG, Germantown (WI) ESPN Watch List
Taylor Woodson-Hopkins-5’11 Forward
Nunu Agara-Hopkins-5’11 Forward

The Gophers appeared to have a big recruiting weekend by having 5 players on campus together from the classes of 2022 and 2023 this weekend. (per Maya Nnaji's twitter)

They had:

2022:
Maya Nnaji-Hopkins-6’3 Forward ESPN Ranked #8
Amaya Battle-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’10 Guard

2023:
Taylor Woodson-Hopkins-5’11 Forward
Nunu Agara-Hopkins-6’1 Forward
Tessa Johnson-St. Michael/Albertville-5’9 Guard

60's Guy

Prior to HS practice officially starting it is a great way to get a fun team outing accomplished. Visit practice...Gopher coaches always introduce themselves. Kids talk about it non stop. Usually shoot on the court in socks after practice. Fun, productive day for high school teams.

They also offer free tickets for teams to come as a group to games. Not too sure why more high school coaches don’t utilize both.