Recruiting Social?

minnyrules11

Reaction score
Anybody have a recap?

I was planning on going and then someone cancelled last minute. I know some of you are disappointed we didn't get Chris Hawkins but give Brew his due nobody works harder at recruiting then he does. We got some solid players and depth in this class.

Good Time

Went tonight as a walk-up. The $20 were well spent.

The GLC did a good job. This was my first signing day event (under any regime) and I'll probably do it again. I'll probably go ahead and join GLC too before the Spring Game.

Certainly not a high energy event but still a good time. They had both a silent and real auction...items were as you would see with any fundraiser...Winter weekend at Craguns...prime single-game TCF seats for next season...Gopher baskets, signed helmet, etc.

The food was very acceptable...selection of cheeses, crackers, and fruit, smoked salmon, pasta salad, BBQ pork sandwich by Moes, and cookies. Not tailgate fare but fine. You could also get brews, coolers, and wine too for the price of admission.

The main event itself started off with Darrell Thompson recounting his recruitment. He had offers from Nebraska, Iowa, Wisky, and UM. Someone told him to think about what if football DIDN'T work out...what would be best. Minnesota won hands down on that.

Coach started his part by introducing the ENTIRE football staff and their wives. He then went kid by kid...showing their bios and stats...along with some film. He emphasized the size...especially height and reach of the kids coming in...along with the QBs. Seeing the film was a nice touch.

I guess there were 200+ in attendance. Hard core Gopher fans to be sure.

We also learned the Spring Game is on April 24th. No location was mentioned.

That's it. Like I said, a good time.

Go Gophers! Beat USC!

thanks for the recap hope I can make it again next year.

Overall I thought the event was good. I have been to all three of these signing events and this one appeared to me to have the lowest attendance (but still a decent crowd). There was not quite as much of a buzz as in previous years (but maybe the oohs and aahs of the stadium renditions were a primary driver in excitement -obviously the new stadium was mentioned tonight, but it's no longer has the focus that it had the last two years) However, had Henderson become a Gopher that place would have been rocking

Unlike last year there was no long lines for food, and there was plenty of it. (They ran out last year). And I was very glad that Mike Max did not do a live interview this time - while there are those who feel that (almost) any coverage is good, it seemed to make the event drag last year.

One question I always have though is why can't some of the current players attend? Must be some NCAA rule is my guess. Having players such as Bennett or Weber work the crowd a bit, sign a few autographs for the younger kids, could be a lot of fun.

There were some current players that were there, they were in the lobby eating as we walked in. I recognized a few players and it was good to see them attend. MG was there for a portion of it for sure.

I went and I got to talk to Brewster. In person he is actually very genuine. For the dumbsh!ts who call him a 'sleaze' you're making these assumptions based on your impression of him in the media. All the coaches were very accessible and glad to talk to you. Tim Davis is a pretty funny guy. Marquise and Moses were there and both seemed to be enjoying themselves. Brewster mentioned more than once he liked the size of the players in the class, using the word 'long' to describe some things. He was especially excited about Herschell Thornton.

Top Bottom