Recruiting experts, what are the final recruiting ratings?

nemosgold

Reaction score
Where did we end up amongst the major recruiting services?

The most favorable one, Rivals, has us at 50th...ouch

Brewster is going to live and die this season by the progress made in his first 2 full recruiting classes. If the Gophers show progression, he'll be safe and the next class should be better. If the Gophers show regression then he'll be shown the door and we'll be back to starting over.

Conference Rank

Rivals - 6 (50 nationally)
Scout - 11 (68)
ESPN - Not sure

we fell way below expectations and only the biggest homers can say thats not true.

we fell way below expectations and only the biggest homers can say thats not true.

very true we lost alot of good guys :( Thats not to say the guys we got arn't any good and won't pan out to be great players for the U.

for a coach that was brought in with the reputation of being a "top-notch recruiter" in his 3rd season full recruiting season this is disappointing. the classes per their national ranking of have been worse each of the past 2 years and the latest class is rather Mason like.

maybe this isn't all on Brewster based on the revolving door of coaches and lack of a timely extension but he is the HC and this probably all should fall on him espeically since recruiting was his big selling point.

I agree

for a coach that was brought in with the reputation of being a "top-notch recruiter" in his 3rd season full recruiting season this is disappointing. the classes per their national ranking of have been worse each of the past 2 years and the latest class is rather Mason like.

maybe this isn't all on Brewster based on the revolving door of coaches and lack of a timely extension but he is the HC and this probably all should fall on him espeically since recruiting was his big selling point.

I agree, PLUS the fact that this is really the first class to be recruited with the aid of a finished new stadium..this should've been Brewster's BEST recruiting class, and instead it was his worst.

Scools, I implore you, look at the evidence given in rivals and you will see that this class blows Mason's classes out of the water. 2003 is the only one that really comes close, and even still, this one is much better overall.

I think it's easy to forget just how bad it was before Brew got here and expect regular four star commits. Fact is, Mase brought in 3 four star recruits in his tenure, 4 if you count Anthony Jacobs in 07. Brew just got 2 in the same class, not to mention getting three stars instead of two stars to round it out. The rest of Mase's classes were about 50/50 three stars to two stars. Brew is about 80/20 this year.

ESPN Rating

Conference Rank

Rivals - 6 (50 nationally)
Scout - 11 (68)
ESPN - Not sure

Here's ESPN's "final say" on Gopher Recruiting. Closer to Rivals in stars and a step closer to Scout in Big Ten ranking.

9. Minnesota Golden Gophers
The Golden Gophers did not end up in the top-25 like in recent years, but the big surprise is how low they finished in the Big Ten. The class is deep with solid three-star talent, led by top-25 RB Devon Wright (Coral Springs, Fla./J.P. Taravella) who has the size and speed to help bolster a lackluster rushing attack in 2009. Top-20 guard Jimmy Gjere (New Brighton, Minn./Irondale) is technically sound and has a great reach which could help him also play tackle. The Golden Gophers went into the state of Florida, signing several prospects including sleeper DB Tyrone Bouie (Sanford, Fla./Seminole), a savvy corner who could play early as a nickel back. "

Apparently I am the only one here who likes this class. We needed Offensive and Defensive lineman. This class has a bunch of big guys on both sides of the ball. Now we just need to coach them up.

Guess we'll see.

Apparently I am the only one here who likes this class. We needed Offensive and Defensive lineman. This class has a bunch of big guys on both sides of the ball. Now we just need to coach them up.

Guess we'll see.

RaT; I have no idea how this class will end-up, but if you read the ESPN description, they like the class but think that compared to the rest of the Big Ten, it's not that good.

RaT; I have no idea how this class will end-up, but if you read the ESPN description, they like the class but think that compared to the rest of the Big Ten, it's not that good.

No I get it. Unless you have a Top 15....maybe Top 20 class, I think everything else just kinda gets muddled. People can argue whether the 38th ranked class is really better than the 54th ranked class. Know what I mean? I guess what I am saying is unless you have a unreal class like Florida or USC just got this year, it all really comes down to who develops and who doesn't. Some kids might have already tapped out on their physical limitations, thereby dominating a little more in high school and recieving a higher ranking. Some kids might not develop for a few more years and then have great college careers. Would anyone be suprised if that DT Ferguson, with some dedication to the weight room and sound coaching on technique, turned into a All Big 10 player? And he was basically unranked.

The only people who bought that "top-notch recruiter" were Gopher homers, and Maturi.

Top Bottom