Recap of Jerry Kill's interview on KFAN. Kill talked WR/LB depth, QB competition, etc

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Earlier today Coach Kill was on KFAN with Justin Gaard. These notes are not verbatim, but close:

Kill on Date Night with Jerry and Rebecca Kill...It's an event we tried last yea rand we had a great turnout. It's a fun event. Each couple will go through a game day experience. Unique things that a normal fan wouldn't be able to experience. Going in the locker room, music, name on the score board, on the head set talking to a coordinator, eating good, fellowship with the coaches, coaches lives. At the end of the day life is about relationships. It's a fun event.

Kill on words of wisdom for Gaard's Saturday wedding...
You better get used to saying "I do" all the time. I appreciate my wife putting up with me for 30 years. My wife is my best friend and that's the most important thing to have in a marriage.

Kill on Phillip Nelson...Getting the opportunity to play, experience a bowl game, the extra practices, it's a whole different situation when you are playing in games versus practice. He's still growing in his leadership. His spring ball, we brought the group in that are involved in Special Forces and Phillip was part of that. He's in a totally different situation than where he was a year ago. We'll know more when we get to Camp, but there is a different feel with our football team with maturity and Phillip's maturity.

Kill on Mitch Leidner...The competition is healthy and good. During the Spring scrimmage everyone who was there got to see both quarterback's got to do some great things. We'll need both of them. I think it will be very important that both Phillip and Mitch progress, push each other and be the best they can be. Teams need two quarterbacks in this day in age. It's important to have depth in that position and we feel very good about that right now.

Kill on LB and WR competition...I think that at WR we've got people there that can do it. I think that the whole football team will be better, I don't know what that means, but we'll be better. At LB we have guys back, and guys that can step in and do the job and we've recruited well. Until you get the chance to work with the kids you don't know, but the athleticism is there. We've improved ourselves athletically at both positions.

Kill on Andre McDonald...
Andre is doing what we asked. He's in summer school and making progress. We're excited about his progress and hope he continues to do well. I can say that about every play that they do what we ask them to do.

Kill on philosophy of getting the young athletes in the secondary...
It's important and in special teams. You can never have enough depth in football. IF you have a young player who is mature enough, and to get him out on special teams, that helps him. When you take over programs like we have, sometimes you have to ask kids to go early.

Kill on redshirting on the two lines...
I think from a physical nature, most kids aren't physically strong enough to play early, especially in the Big Ten. That's what impacted us in the first few years we had to have guys play who weren't ready. Last year we redshirted and those guys now have four years left.

Kill on having conversations with the guys about social media...We educate them all the time. We spend time during two-a-day camps. We probably spend more time on how to act and do the right thing as we do coaching football.

http://www.kfan.com/player/?station...ast&program_id=KFAN_Barreiro.xml&mid=23464692

Go Gophers!!

Thnx so much Bleed. I was listening in my car to the first few minutes but had to leave.

it will be interesting to see if nelson struggles at all if leidner gets a shot, or if nelson has positioned himself already as the starter from here on out. it's hard to overtake a starter with experience, even if the qb is struggling.

It's going to be interesting how they handle the QB rotation. The last couple of years, they've had to shuffle because of injuries, but this season, they should have two healthy QB's available. I know Kill has said in the past that they like to use more than 1 QB to give the defense different looks, and to keep people healthy, so I really expect to see both Nelson and Leidner getting playing time this season.

It's going to be interesting how they handle the QB rotation. The last couple of years, they've had to shuffle because of injuries, but this season, they should have two healthy QB's available. I know Kill has said in the past that they like to use more than 1 QB to give the defense different looks, and to keep people healthy, so I really expect to see both Nelson and Leidner getting playing time this season.

It's also good to get the backup some reps so that he has some experience when his turn comes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I kinda think we are overlooking D. Jones and his potential to contribute in various roles on the team, including QB. He's likely one of the most athletic kids on the team already, and can simply do things others cannot. Whether mentally he's ready will be the test, but I think he may be unleashed in certain situations if he doesn't RS

You could have said last year they should have two healthy qbs. You just never know.

I really like streveler. He throws a real nice ball and he's athletic. Huge to have him in spring camp. I would not be surprised to see his shirt pulled this year.

You could have said last year they should have two healthy qbs. You just never know.

I really like streveler. He throws a real nice ball and he's athletic. Huge to have him in spring camp. I would not be surprised to see his shirt pulled this year.

Curious - Why would they pull his red shirt if Philip Nelson and Mitch Leidner remain healthy? If they do remain healthy the chances of them pulling it are slim and none and slim just left the building. The QB position is probably the most difficult position to learn and that requires time. It was clear during spring ball that he has talent but also that he has a long ways to go before he ready to play at this level. One of the positives Kill said about him is that he faster than they thought. The best thing they we could do for him is give him a year to learn and gain experience.

Curious - Why would they pull his red shirt if Philip Nelson and Mitch Leidner remain healthy? If they do remain healthy the chances of them pulling it are slim and none and slim just left the building. The QB position is probably the most difficult position to learn and that requires time. It was clear during spring ball that he has talent but also that he has a long ways to go before he ready to play at this level. One of the positives Kill said about him is that he faster than they thought. The best thing they we could do for him is give him a year to learn and gain experience.

If Nelson and Leider stay healthy, maybe not. That's a big if. Nelson didn't show much early either, and was struggling in fall camp. Then the light bulb went off. Streveler is a player, and we are thin at qb, and kill doesn't hesitate pulling a shirt. That's all I'm saying. I wouldn't be surprised.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Kill has alluded to the possibility of Streveler lining up as a WR if need be. That said, I'd rather he redshirts and focuses on learning the offense as a QB.

If Nelson and Leider stay healthy, maybe not. That's a big if. Nelson didn't show much early either, and was struggling in fall camp. Then the light bulb went off. Streveler is a player, and we are thin at qb, and kill doesn't hesitate pulling a shirt. That's all I'm saying. I wouldn't be surprised.

We all see and interpret things differently so I am curious to know what your point is with the first bold sentence. It seems to me that you are making my point that to become a Big Ten QB it takes time. I doubt very much that Nelson would have played last year if the first and second string QB's hadn't been both hurt at the same time. If that happens this fall, sure Streveler could very well play but only then.

As far as your second bolded sentence "Then the light bulb went off.", I am not exactly sure what you are referring to. To me that was the bowl game but you maybe thinking of something else. But I am sure the coaches are not about to gamble on a very inexperienced QB like Streveler when it so important that this team continues to improve this season. Therefore it would be Kill's worst nightmare if he had to play Streveler. So it seems to me that you are again making my case that Streveler should and will redshirt this fall.

Actually, the last bolded statement contains the most probable scenario for Streveler playing this fall. Positively4thstreet quote "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Kill has alluded to the possibility of Streveler lining up as a WR if need be. That said, I'd rather he redshirts and focuses on learning the offense as a QB." is that scenario. Kill has always that he want to get the best athletes on the field and if Streveler is one of the best WR he very well could play at that position. I have nothing against Streveler but he needs time and the coaches know that.

We all see and interpret things differently so I am curious to know what your point is with the first bold sentence. It seems to me that you are making my point that to become a Big Ten QB it takes time. I doubt very much that Nelson would have played last year if the first and second string QB's hadn't been both hurt at the same time. If that happens this fall, sure Streveler could very well play but only then.

As far as your second bolded sentence "Then the light bulb went off.", I am not exactly sure what you are referring to. To me that was the bowl game but you maybe thinking of something else. But I am sure the coaches are not about to gamble on a very inexperienced QB like Streveler when it so important that this team continues to improve this season. Therefore it would be Kill's worst nightmare if he had to play Streveler. So it seems to me that you are again making my case that Streveler should and will redshirt this fall.

Actually, the last bolded statement contains the most probable scenario for Streveler playing this fall. Positively4thstreet quote "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Kill has alluded to the possibility of Streveler lining up as a WR if need be. That said, I'd rather he redshirts and focuses on learning the offense as a QB." is that scenario. Kill has always that he want to get the best athletes on the field and if Streveler is one of the best WR he very well could play at that position. I have nothing against Streveler but he needs time and the coaches know that.

My point is that streveler looked raw in spring ball and he should have. Hopefully things slow down for him in fall camp, as they did for Phil. If Nelson OR Leidner were to get dinged, I wouldn't be surprised to see CS get some reps and have his shirt pulled. I don't think this is that outlandish of a prediction. It doesn't have to be a nightmare scenario. Suppose against w ill, Leidner is playing in garbage time and gets hurt, a 3-4 week injury. It wouldn't shock me to see Streveler get reps in a game setting, knowing he's 1 snap away from playing in Big 10 competition.
If Phil and Mitch both stay healthy, then he probably won't have his redshirt pulled. I never said CS would play regardless of the health of Mitch and Phil. Those were your words not mine.

Kill said Phil's light bulb went off mid season and that led to the decision to play him in Madison. He didn't need to play. It was important that the team do well last year.

It's my opinion that he won't play WR this year or at all.

Everyone needs time. We are young and thin and don't have that luxury. We need to be prepared if injuries strike, and we are an offense that runs the QB.

Section2

Thanks for the clarification. It was helpful to understand how you arrived at your conclusion and I appreciated it. You stated your case and I can understand why you are excited about Streveler. But for me it boils down to not wasting his redshirt if he is only going to play a few plays this fall. We did that to Gray and I would hate to do it to Streveler. Because of lack of depth Kill, has had to do that way too many already. From my perspective it is now time to start saving some of those fifth year. When we are able to do that it probably means that Kill and the coaches has reached the depth and talent level to do the things that they want to do. In the long term, having that 5th year should make us a better football team and that is the ultimate goal. I think we both are understand what the goal is and the challenges to reaching that goal are. Thanks.

Top Bottom