Rankings

ncgo4

Reaction score
We got beaten badly by MSU (#10) and beat OSU (#24) pretty easily so where does this take our rankings on Monday? MY guess about the same.

Based on our weak strength of schedule in the non conf. I wouldn't be surprised to see us fall out of the top 25.

We lost to a great MSU team, we beat another ranked team. My guess is that we will stay at our current, or maybe climb 1 spot. Way to go Gophers!!!!! On top of that, we got a double today.....LadyGophers win at IL by 4. It's a great day to be a Gopher BB FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind, Gopher fans, some ranked teams lost to unranked teams, and some ranked teams lost to lower ranked teams, and some ranked teams beat unranked teams, and some ranked teams beat lower ranked teams. Gotta LOVE NCAA basketball. I pick Gophers to be ranked about #20 in the upcoming, updated polls. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!

Its been a long time since I have paid much attention to rankings - its sorta fun.

A few teams ahead of us in top 25 from last week have seen some troubles

Baylor just had their 2nd loss this week

Villanova just had their 2nd loss this week

Tennessee just lost for the 3rd time this week

Louisville just lost for the 3rd time this week

Gonzaga has lost 4 I believe

Purdue has lost a couple

I say we move up from 22

I don't think a loss to Mich St drops your out of the Top25 when you follow it up w/ a win over another Top25 team...we may lose a spot but we should easily stay in the rankings.

More on the rankings

There are 5 only teams in the top 25 with a better record than the Gophers - remember we are 13-1 (SOS or not). They are:

North Carolina 13-0
Pittsburgh 13-0
Wake Forest 12-0
Syracuse 14-1 and,
Clemson 13-0

If we win the next 2 - at IOWA & home to PSU do we make the top 10 the following week?

Sorry if I'm getting too far ahead but just speculating for the heck of it.

The question here is how much stock is taken into Ohio State barely squeeking by an Iowa team at home that's not very good, and then getting beat by a ranked Minnesota team. There's no question that tOSU falls out of the Top 25, but do we get dragged out with them, simply based on the fact that they're not maybe as good as people thought at the outset.

Not a chance, alltime. Maybe, just maybe, the Gophers are better than some people give them credit for. And match the Gophers' improvement, with Tubby Smith...we have a really good TEAM. Tubby is already planning for IOWA.....

Not a chance, alltime. Maybe, just maybe, the Gophers are better than some people give them credit for. And match the Gophers' improvement, with Tubby Smith...we have a really good TEAM. Tubby is already planning for IOWA.....

My point exactly. Maybe they are, but that doesn't mean the voters will automatically base their votes on that. My point stays the same...is a win vs. an Ohio State team that will surely drop out of the rankings enough of a justification to keep the Gophers in the Top 25?

Also, my guess is that Tubby would be planning for Iowa regardless of whether they're in the top 25, or whether they won or lost today.

In any case, I think they will stay in the rankings, but drop a spot or two.

In any case, I think they will stay in the rankings, but drop a spot or two.

I'll try to make my case again for why they will move up slightly. I must admit to not following RPI or SOS all that much (I do appreciate Selection Sundays stuff though).

As for the Gophers ranking (and it is fun to talk about this) I see little chance of somebody ranked lower than us leapfrogging over us after we go 1-1 against top 10 and top 25 teams.

As for the teams ranked ahead of us

Tennessee 3 losses (Albeit Temple, Gonzaga, Kansas)
Villanova 2 losses (Just lost to Marquette - also lost to Texas earlier)
Gonzaga - 4 losses - lost 4 of last 5 games
Louisville - 3 losses - lost to WstnKy MN & UNLV
Baylor - 2 losses ranked 19 & 20 - just lost to So Carolina

I'm not saying we leapfrog over all those teams but I would think a couple at least. I'll say 19 ranking --- JMO

rr....you did a great job of posting the comment I made about teams ahead of us in the rankings and their losses. I will agree with your justification of a #19 ranking, but I will still hold at my position that it is difficult to move up much until you beat one of them yourselves. I will hold on a move from #21 up to #20, but would not be surprised if we go up to your projection of #19. I do not see any rhyme or reason why we would drop down any, do you????

My own personal opinion is that we will remain ranked, and that we will stay around 20th. Either way, as much as I am loving my vacation in New York, I can't wait to get back to The Barn and cheer on the Maroon and Gold.

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't move at all. We did exactly what a #21 team should do. Illinois should take Michigan's spot.

Top Bottom