Rankings after this week

cjbfbp

Gophers will be stuck on 5-10 votes again this week, even though most of the shaky undefeateds like Wake Forest have made the polls by now. If the Gophers continue to win by small margins against the teams on the coming schedule, it's possible this team could go 6-0 or 7-0 and not even be ranked.
I agree with your theme, but 6-0 would include a victory against Nebraska who may not be so great but still has some national cred because they are Nebraska. I'm guessing we would sneak in under those circumstances at 6-0. Now, if we lose to Nebraska or, God forbid, Illinois, we have hardly any chance of being ranked until we're 8-1 with a victory against PSU or 8-2 with a victory against Iowa.

Some guy

Not worthy yet for votes. If we keep rolling for Penn State we may crack it. Penn State is going to be a huge test for us. Did I say HUGE?
IF the team 7-0 it will be top 15 maybe top 10
Usually about week 6 or 7 unbeaten power 5s start sliding up. That’s how USF was ranked number 2 once in the old big east days

Some guy

If Ohio State were 4-0 against our opponents with the same scores in those games, they would be top 10.
Agreed. And if the gophers were preseason 10th they’d probably be like 12th right now even with playing the exact same games.
So much confirmation bias makes polls basically ridiculous

mjfelton15

ESPN FPI predictor has us only losing 3 games now. Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. We get two of those three games at home. I think we win one of the three for sure, and have a good shot at upsetting Penn State and Wisconsin here at home. But if we can even get the one win of 3 predicted losses, that’s a 10-2 record. I would be more than okay with that record

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hello-world

Agreed. If the final was 38-17 I think the gophers would’ve cracked the top 25
Sure, but we can't just ignore their two touchdown drives at the end of the game that made the Minnesota defense look pretty bad.
If Minnesota beats Illinois by 7ish then they will crack the top 25 next week... because then ESPN can talk about Nebraska "getting back on track" all week long.

Last edited:

Some guy

Sure, but we can't just ignore their two touchdown drives at the end of the game that made the Minnesota defense look pretty bad.
If Minnesota wins by double digits against Illinois then they will crack the top 25 next week... because then ESPN can talk about Nebraska "getting back on track" all week long.
When did I say you could ignore them?

Honestly rankings before mid October are dumb and purely for speculation purposes.

Going into the year I thought Minnesota was probably between 16-40 in the country. I still think that. Still too early to tell. If we win our next two, it’s closer to 16. If we lose one of the next two it is probably closer to 40. Still don’t know.

Otis

If this were College Basketball, The Gophers would probably be #1 due to our efficiency.

But significantly handicaped for our 3 and 4 quadrant games.

Latest profile posts