Rank the 2010 Big 10 QBs

Biff Tannen

Reaction score
What say you? This is not the deepest group of quarterbacks yet some solid players.

1A. Pryor- Which Pryor will show up for 2010? The one that finished the season is a darn good qb
1B. Stanzi- The interceptions hurt Stanzi. Hard to argue with his W-L and clutch play.
3. Tolzien- weak #3 here. He will manage the game well.
4. Weber- I expect big things in 2010. He is going to have a huge year and will be a top 3 big 10 QB by the end of the season.
5. Forcier- Hard to rank him this low, yet he might not even be the starter by mid season.
6. Cousins- Not sold on him.
7-11- a wash, none will have big seasons.

What say you? This is not the deepest group of quarterbacks yet some solid players.

1A. Pryor- Which Pryor will show up for 2010? The one that finished the season is a darn good qb
1B. Stanzi- The interceptions hurt Stanzi. Hard to argue with his W-L and clutch play.
4. Weber- I expect big things in 2010. He is going to have a huge year and will be a top 3 big 10 QB by the end of the season.
5. Forcier- Hard to rank him this low, yet he might not even be the starter by mid season.

Stanzi is just as bad as Weber if not worse, the only difference is he had a running game and a defense behind him.

I'd agree that Stanzi had a better defense to rely on, but Weber's problems can't be blamed on our D. OTOH, Weber's flaws were exposed by our OL and particularly the running game in a big way. The biggest difference is that for the most part, Stanzi wasn't asked to win games for the Hawkeyes, only not to lose them.

I read these rankings with interest, as I'm in a BT fantasy football league with some friends. It is indeed slim pickings at QB. I agree that after Pryor there's a huge dropoff (Pryor is great from a fantasy standpoint as he runs a bunch in, too). Like Biff said, Forcier is a risk, as our fantasy league doesn't award points for carrying a clipboard. I think Cousins will put up big numbers. I'd draft him before Weber (again, the likelihood of Cousins starting in November may be higher). There's also the new QB that PSU will be breaking in, but I can't remember his name.

Stanzi is just as bad as Weber if not worse, the only difference is he had a running game and a defense behind him.

In 2009 Iowa's rushing attack ranked 99th in the country. Stanzi has his flaws but I would take him over Weber. Stanzi forgets mistakes quickly and has been clutch in the 4th quarter during his entire career at Iowa.

1) Pryor
2) Stanzi
3) Tolzien
4) Cousins
5) Weber
6) Forcier/Robinson
7-11- Charest, Marve, Persa, Chappell, Newsome in no particular order.

Pryor #1 All the tools and 2 years of experience + an impressive Rose Bowl. Could be a breakout year. 8 home games...
Tolzien #2. Big and experienced O-Line with B10's best running game. WR corps as good as any in conference (Hendricks, Toon, Anderson and Gilreath) manages game very well. Arm strength a concern.
Stanzi #3 - erratic and interception prone. loses all B10 TE. A winner, though.
4-11 wash.

I just looked at their numbers, for how awful their offense was, they had a great season, I wish we could have done the same.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-A_BIG10&year=2009&sort=524

Iowa would have most likely had a stronger offense if Jewel Hampton had not gotten injured before the season started. Two freshman running backs carried the load and the passing offense put just enough points on the board to win games. The Iowa defense was clutch as always.

big 10 best quarterbacks

1)Tolzien 2)Cousins 3)Pryor 4)Forcier 5)Stanzi; the rest a wash.

1. James Vandenberg
2. Pryor
3. Tolzien
4. Forcier
5. Stanzi

1. James Vandenberg
2. Pryor
3. Tolzien
4. Forcier
5. Stanzi

Thats Funny..........I don't care who you are, thats funny.

In about 2 or 3 years we'll know how accurate that is. But a kid who gets his first collegiate start in the shoe at night and doesn't fill his pants and takes osu to OT.........well.........he's got something.

Thats Funny..........I don't care who you are, thats funny.

In about 2 or 3 years we'll know how accurate that is. But a kid who gets his first collegiate start in the shoe at night and doesn't fill his pants and takes osu to OT.........well.........he's got something.

My favorite part about him was what he did at C-Bus that game, but the next week against Minnesota and only getting 12 points, it was only close because "our starting QB wasn't playing." :)

Just giving it to ya a little.....I was impressed by him in Columbus, which is why I still feel the Gophers didn't play a poor game in Iowa City.

1) Pryor
2) Stanzi
3) Cousins
4) Tolzein
5) Weber (by default)

1. Pryor: can hurt you with his legs or arm. Seems to be growing in mental side of the game. Did he grow up with Rose Bowl preformance?

2. Cousins: best arm in the conference. If he gets the mental part of the game watch out. Was forced to do too much last year due to poor running game and leaky D.

3. Tolzien/Stanzi: Both should benefit from having a year of experience under their belt. Stanzi makes mistakes in crucial times while Tolzien lacks big time arm strength.

5. Robinson (Michigan): Looks to unseat Forcier as the starter.

6. Chappell: Does everything pretty well. Has some receivers but suffers from lack of run game, lack of mobility, and pourous D that may be worse this year.

7. Weber: Hard to see him getting better without Decker. Also suffers from poor run game to keep defenese honest.

8. Others: insufficent data

Is it bad that I don't want to rank any QB first? Every QB has his drawbacks.

I personally think Cousins has the best pro potential of any returning starter in the conference. Cousins has a strong arm with good accuracy and he seems like a good leader. Pryor may very well be the best college QB in the conference because of what he can do with his feet and he did look impressive in the Rose Bowl (but it was against a Pac 10 defense). To me those are the top two.

The next group in any order:
Tolzien manages a game well but by no means is he a high level QB or someone that has shown he can go out and win a game when the running game struggles. Stanzi shows flashes of brilliance but he makes way too many mistakes. Weber is actually decent out of the shotgun and he is a good midrange passer but he is wildly inaccurate underneath and doesn't have the arm strength to avoid underthrowing the deep ball. I just don't think Ben Chappell is very good. He has decent arm strength but he lets it sail on him on occassion and doesn't make good decisions. I'm not sure what to think of Michigan's QB situation but I'd be willing to guess Forcier starts and the Robinson stuff is just to push him.

As far as the new guys go:
I was really impressed with Newsome from PSU at the Army AA game a couple years ago but he didn't look very good in the PSU spring game. The walk-on they have in front of him didn't do much for me. I really like Paul Jones (early enrollee) but it seems doubtful he'll get the nod.

The best QB at Michigan is actually Devin Gardner but he is a true freshman (early enrollee) and who knows whether he gets the chance to start. Gardner reminds me a lot of Vince Young and that scares me down the road.

I don't expect much out of Northwestern this year because Kafka was so much of their offense and Persa is no Kafka. Persa doesn't have much of an arm and I don't like his mechanics.

IMO Scheelhaase is the best QB at Illinois. I haven't paid attention to know if they've named a starter yet but Charest has too long of a release, too weak of an arm, and isn't all that accurate. Scheelhaase is a threat with his arm or legs and could be a 4 year starter for the Illini.

I wasn't impressed by Marve when he was at Miami so it will be interesting to see if he has matured and the change of scenery has helped. He has a strong arm--which made him a great prospect out of HS--but I'm not sold on what he has between the ears. I don't really like Caleb Terbush either. He has a strong arm but I hate his delivery.

Persa

grunkiejr:

I think I agree with you on Cousins being maybe the best QB in the league.

I don't expect much out of Northwestern this year because Kafka was so much of their offense and Persa is no Kafka. Persa doesn't have much of an arm and I don't like his mechanics.

I wouldn't bet against Persa, though. You're right that he's not Kafka, but might be better in certain ways. I've always liked his arm better than Kafka's. He's not as good a scrambler but is still pretty mobile. Plus, after wandering in the wilderness for a while after Steve Schnur graduated in '97, the Wildcats really have had only four regular starting QBs since late in the 1999 season, and while each has had slumps they've each had pretty spectacular seasons too: Zak Kustok, Brett Basanez, C.J. Bacher, and Mike Kafka. I think the real question mark for NU is whether, having lost a lot of experienced receivers to graduation, there will be enough good talent on the receiving end.

-Joe :)

7-11- a wash, none will have big seasons.[/QU

I like Stanzi over Pryor. Stanzi is consistent and Pryor seems to not be sure of himself at times and gets ratlted. I think both have very good defenses, so neither one gets a benefit over the other in that department. Like someone said, Stanzi gets things done. Stanzi is a winner, Pryor is an athlete.

7. Weber: Hard to see him getting better without Decker. Also suffers from poor run game to keep defenese honest.

It is very hard to see him getting better without Decker, but it could go the other way as well. Maybe Weber will actually look at two or three receivers in a given pass play now?

Also, I'm looking for our OLine to be a bit better. If it is, Weber will be a top three or four QB in the league. If our OLine takes a step back it will be a loooooong season.

At the signing social Coach Brewster mentioned that we have the best group of QB's in the country. I am not sure I would go that far but Brewster seems to think he has assembled an awesome group of QBs.

At the signing social Coach Brewster mentioned that we have the best group of QB's in the country. I am not sure I would go that far but Brewster seems to think he has assembled an awesome group of QBs.

I bet he thinks they are tremendous as well as awesome.

I am not sure Iowa's OL is going to get the running game going right away, so Stanzi might have a tough start.

Pryor
Stanzi
Weber on his 3 good days
The rest
Weber on his 9 bad days

Top Bottom