RandBall: What if John Wooden had taken the Gophers basketball job in 1948?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

So would the Gophers have become a national power with Wooden? Would that have been their history? It’s possible. But there are other things to consider.

*When they failed to land Wooden, the Gophers had a pretty good consolation prize: Ozzie Cowles, a Minnesota native who was pried away after just two seasons as Michigan’s head coach – the second of which ended with a trip to the NCAA tournament (which had a field of just eight teams at the time).

Cowles actually had a really good run with the Gophers. In his first seven seasons after being hired in 1948, Cowles led the Gophers to a .686 winning percentage – pretty similar to Wooden’s .713 mark in his first seven years at UCLA after taking that job.

*Wooden was tempted in 1950 to take the vacant job at Purdue – his alma mater. But he decided to stay at UCLA to fulfill a three-year commitment and in reality stayed much longer of course. Maybe if he had taken the Minnesota job, it would have been easier for him to slide back over and take the Purdue job, depending on what the terms were here and how things were going. Then we might be talking about a different kind of regret.

*Wooden had strong seasons from the start with UCLA, but he didn’t win his first national championship until 15 years after taking the job – the 1963-64 season. Would Wooden have lasted that long, to realize ultimate success, in Minnesota considering no coach in Gophers history from 1948-present has lasted more than 11 seasons?

*All that said: It’s entirely possible that the stars might have aligned. Cowles had a lot of talent to work with on those Gophers teams – including Jim McIntyre, Whitey Skoog, Chuck Mencel and Bud Grant.

The Gophers never won a Big Ten title nor did they qualify for the hard-to-crack NCAA tournament field under Cowles, a defensive-minded coach. Perhaps the combination of their talent and Wooden’s coaching acumen would have put Minnesota on a path to greatness and multiple championships.

Go Gophers!!

Wow ! More if's , could have's might haves. Why not just hire Bob Knight, Coach K, hell Bo ryan was just down the road and would have taken the job !

Wow ! More if's , could have's might haves. Why not just hire Bob Knight, Coach K, hell Bo ryan was just down the road and would have taken the job !
I don’t understand what you’re complaining about. What do you have against historical perspective pieces like this?

Wooden would have been nothing here. Just an average coach. Cruits went to UCLA because of the school and the $$$ and the Chicks.

Now, had we hired Bobby Knight after Indiana fired him! That would have been a roller coaster ride I would have paid my fare for over and over! The Bobby Knight revenge tour would have been fan-freaking-tastic! Would have made our Maroon and Gold make all the other teams bleed red, Hoosier red!!! And the best part, aside from some politically incorrect coach moves, he would have done it clean.

That would have been awesome! Just ask Sid.

Wooden would have been nothing here. Just an average coach. Cruits went to UCLA because of the school and the $$$ and the Chicks.

Now, had we hired Bobby Knight after Indiana fired him! That would have been a roller coaster ride I would have paid my fare for over and over! The Bobby Knight revenge tour would have been fan-freaking-tastic! Would have made our Maroon and Gold make all the other teams bleed red, Hoosier red!!! And the best part, aside from some politically incorrect coach moves, he would have done it clean.

That would have been awesome! Just ask Sid.
The key was hiring Knight before Indiana.

Top Bottom