RandBall: U men's assistant Dave Thorson brings instant in-state recruiting credibility

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per RandBall:

Among the many interesting story lines that followed Dave Thorson to Minnesota when he took an assistant coaching job under his former player and new Gophers head coach Ben Johnson is the unique position he will have as a builder of relationships and evaluator of talent in Minnesota.

Thorson was an assistant coach with the Gophers in the early 1990s under Clem Haskins, then spent 23 years at DeLaSalle from 1994-2017 before becoming a college assistant again and eventually winding up back with the Gophers.

The thing that stands out most to me is that Thorson ran one of the best programs in the state during an era that spanned at least parts of the careers of four different Gophers coaches: Haskins, Dan Monson, Tubby Smith and Richard Pitino.

He knows what strengths or weaknesses those coaches brought to the table in recruiting because he experienced it and talked with peers about it. On the podcast I asked Thorson how he and Johnson can solidify relationships with in-state coaches and recruits.

Go Gophers!!

I love the addition to Thorson. I am really curious when it will start to improve in-state recruiting. What's the chicken and what's the egg?

I love the addition to Thorson. I am really curious when it will start to improve in-state recruiting. What's the chicken and what's the egg?
Dave will help influence evaluations that may be different, will be different then the internet services. He will have some 3's and 4's that better serve the program and out perform high 4's. Plus he has great respect from so many AAU,high school coaches and parents. He believes in high character kids that are mature and disciplined. Love everything about this hire. Have spent many hours over the years talking basketball with him and his influences are right on.

Top Bottom