RandBall: The 5-7 Gophers are going to a bowl game. What should we call it?

Per RandBall:

Here are five other options after a long Monday morning of pondering such things:

The Readjustment Bowl: Per Fleck's description of this season after Saturday's 28-14 loss to Wisconsin. "I named it the readjustment year," Fleck said of the 2023 season. "There are a lot of things to adjust moving forward."

College Knowledge Bowl: If you haven't been paying attention and are wondering how on earth a 5-7 team will even get a bowl game invite, Randy Johnson has a good recap.

Culture Bowl: That 2015 team was coached first by Jerry Kill and then Tracy Claeys. Fleck and Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle talked about changing the culture of the program when Fleck took over in 2017, a sentiment that did not sit well with Kill. It's far-fetched to imagine Fleck's Gophers and Kill's New Mexico State team meeting in a bowl game given current projections, but if they do let's get the popcorn ready and call it the Culture Bowl.

Aloha Bowl: This used to be an actual bowl game before it became the Hawaii Bowl a couple decades ago, but I'm hoping they'll let us have it.

(Un)fair Catch Bowl: Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is still mad about the invalid fair catch signal that upon further review nullified a punt return touchdown and gave the Gophers a 12-10 win over the Hawkeyes. But If not for that play and win in Iowa, the Gophers would be stuck on four wins and not even their college knowledge could save them.

Go Gophers!!
The flaccid 🍲

@Crosby very interesting hypothesis which seems reasonable to me.

But then why is the Air Force APR so high??

My hypothesis is that there was extra “wash out” or whatever you want to call it at Navy (football team) during Covid times. Guessing the numbers are over a rolling period so the 2021-22 would still reflect the ugliness of 2020 and somewhat 2021.

As for this thread, I don’t think Navy’s potential to be eligible after the usual bowl selection day can prevent another school from becoming eligible, and so there would be nothing to prevent Detroit from selecting the Gophers.

In general, I see nothing in the rules that will force the Hawaii Bowl to take JSU and prevent them from waiting to see if Navy makes it. They would vastly prefer Navy over JSU.

Most generally, there is no language in the actual rules about any date. Nothing about “the official bowl selection day/date” or anything like that. There’s nothing about meeting criteria by a date.

It’s written only for the context that all teams have scheduled 12 or 13 games and those games have all been completed at the time of reading.

And so all arguments that “you have to meet [criteria] by [specific date]” are not at all supported by the actual language of the rules.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery
Congrats Kiddo!
Improved mental health is right around the corner
I like how this is your response to me. And then in your next post you agreed with what I said 😂

As for this thread, I don’t think Navy’s potential to be eligible after the usual bowl selection day can prevent another school from becoming eligible, and so there would be nothing to prevent Detroit from selecting the Gophers.

In general, I see nothing in the rules that will force the Hawaii Bowl to take JSU and prevent them from waiting to see if Navy makes it. They would vastly prefer Navy over JSU.

Most generally, there is no language in the actual rules about any date. Nothing about “the official bowl selection day/date” or anything like that. There’s nothing about meeting criteria by a date.

It’s written only for the context that all teams have scheduled 12 or 13 games and those games have all been completed at the time of reading.

And so all arguments that “you have to meet [criteria] by [specific date]” are not at all supported by the actual language of the rules.
lol

First of all, you haven’t read a rule book

Second of all, there is a specific date. They have to be eligible on the day they are selected otherwise they are ineligible to be selected.
So if all the bowls are selecting on Sunday. They have to be eligible on Sunday.

Go ahead and cite the specific language in the post-season handbook that you posted (in another thread) that supports your claim.

I don’t think it’s there.

Go ahead and cite the specific language in the post-season handbook that you posted (in another thread) that supports your claim.

I don’t think it’s there.
It is. Read it again.
You have to meet criteria to be bowl eligible.
If you don’t meet the criteria, you aren’t eligible. They currently don’t meet the criteria.

I’m sure you are right and every major sports media publication is wrong.

Link to 2022-23 version:
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch.../d1/PBA/2022-23PBA_PostseasonBowlHandbook.pdf

They show dates that bowl games can be played.

They give the criteria for a team being bowl eligible.

But I don’t see anywhere that it says something like “these criteria must be met by bowl selection day”.

I also don’t see anywhere that even defines a bowl selection day or when such a day must occur (by).

Sure.

And the Hawaii Bowl will make its selection on Dec 9. Show me where that is forbidden by the rules.

Navy could meet the criteria then.

Link to 2022-23 version:
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch.../d1/PBA/2022-23PBA_PostseasonBowlHandbook.pdf

They show dates that bowl games can be played.

They give the criteria for a team being bowl eligible.

But I don’t see anywhere that it says something like “these criteria must be met by bowl selection day”.

I also don’t see anywhere that even defines a bowl selection day or when such a day must occur (by).
True. I guess any team can be still eligible. They could get their 6th win by next October! As long as the bowl doesn’t select before then!

😂😂

Or one week later, far less hyperbolic.

But that’s what you do when you admit defeat. :)

It’s easily possible that no bowls will choose to take on the delay. Also just as possible ESPN could come down from above and say “no you don’t, we don’t give a S about selling tickets or hotel rooms. You aren’t eating into our ad time.”

But neither prove that NCAA rules forbid them from doing it, even if they had wanted to.

This has been discussed in another thread. As usual, you are going to be wrong.

Go ahead @disco, I posted the handbook. Find the language.

It’s not there

I like how this is your response to me. And then in your next post you agreed with what I said 😂
Just like me kiddo, you get some right and some wrong = the human condition ( so we’re in good company😃).

This is 💩 & giggles for me, not a competition😃, so I try not to have an issue agreeing or good naturally ribbing anyone ( my middle age towel snap).

Last edited:

I have zero doubt that you’ll dishonestly claim victory if no bowl chooses to wait or make a contingent selection.

That does not prove that they were disallowed by NCAA rules from doing so. They may simply have chosen not to.

I have zero doubt that you’ll dishonestly claim victory if no bowl chooses to wait or make a contingent selection.

That does not prove that they were disallowed by NCAA rules from doing so. They may simply have chosen not to.
A bowl can do whatever they want.
In 2020 some bowls canceled! They don’t ever have to select anyone.

However, the team they select has to be bowl eligible.

It can’t do whatever it wants. It has to be played in a very specific timeframe, for example. There are a whole host of rules it must abide by, all spelled out in the handbook.

We agree that to select a team, the team has to be eligible.

We agree that the Gophers will be eligible on Dec 3. We agree that some bowl will select the Gophers, likely a Big Ten bowl, on that day.

I personally think the handbook should be updated to define a “bowl selection day”, define when this occurs, and to explicitly spell out that if there are not sufficient number of “deserving teams” on bowl selection day, then an ordered list of teams can make up the difference and be selected in that order by any bowl that wishes to select them, according to [section on how additional teams can become eligible]. Then finally, allowing a bowl to select after bowl selection day if it chooses, but spelling out a deadline for when it must make its selection (such as 18 days prior to the game date, etc.).

Last edited:

I personally think the handbook should be updated to define a “bowl selection day”, define when this occurs, and to explicitly spell out that if there are not sufficient number of “deserving teams” on bowl selection day, then an ordered list of teams can make up the difference and be selected in that order by any bowl that wishes to select them, according to [section on how additional teams can become eligible]. Then finally, allowing a bowl to select after bowl selection day if it chooses, but spelling out a deadline for when it must make its selection (such as 18 days prior to the game date, etc.).
I actually agree with everything you wrote here. The written policy is ambiguous.

Bowls are allowed to start on Dec 15 this year, only 12 days after the defacto selection day. Several are starting on the 16th.

Can’t even get all the allotted extra practices in.

Top Bottom