RandBall: For Wolves and Gophers, three-point math doesn't add up

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per RandBall:

A common thread between the two teams, aside from those dismal records over the last two months? An extreme lack of efficiency stemming in large part from an over-reliance on and under-performance from beyond the three-point line.

The Gophers have attempted 634 three-pointers this season. Only 19 teams (entering play Monday) have tried more this season, and only two of those teams are in major conferences. Minnesota has made just 28.9% of those attempts. Only 11 of the 347 teams playing Division I men's college basketball this season have shot worse from long distance.

The Timberwolves are slightly better from deep: They make 35% of their tries, which is No. 24 out of 30 NBA teams. They attempt 36.2 threes per game, the 12th-most in the league.

Go Gophers!!

per RandBall:

A common thread between the two teams, aside from those dismal records over the last two months? An extreme lack of efficiency stemming in large part from an over-reliance on and under-performance from beyond the three-point line.

The Gophers have attempted 634 three-pointers this season. Only 19 teams (entering play Monday) have tried more this season, and only two of those teams are in major conferences. Minnesota has made just 28.9% of those attempts. Only 11 of the 347 teams playing Division I men's college basketball this season have shot worse from long distance.

The Timberwolves are slightly better from deep: They make 35% of their tries, which is No. 24 out of 30 NBA teams. They attempt 36.2 threes per game, the 12th-most in the league.

Go Gophers!!
Is this the worst year in Mn Hoops history?

This has to go somewhere so might as well put it here:
With last night's loss to the Phoenix Suns, the Minnesota Timberwolves have officially surpassed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the worst winning percentage in the history of American sports! (Active franchises)

With last night's loss to the Phoenix Suns, the Minnesota Timberwolves have officially surpassed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the worst winning percentage in the history of American sports! (Active franchises)
We're number 1, we're number 1!!!

And Tampa is just sitting at home while the Wolves will put some serious distance between us and them. By the time fall camp starts for the Bucs they will just be a speck in Glen Taylor's rear-view mirror.

Worst franchise in american pro sports. Twins have longest playoff losing streak in MLB history. Vikings are disappointing at best. Wild are ??? and the Gophers aren't exactly tearing it up. Brutal.
2017 Vikings, 2019 Gophers football. At least something.

Worst franchise in american pro sports. Twins have longest playoff losing streak in MLB history. Vikings are disappointing at best. Wild are ??? and the Gophers aren't exactly tearing it up. Brutal.

Yeah, the pro landscape has been frustrating for a while to say the least. I mean the Twins aren't bad but they fall apart in the playoffs. The Wild are actually playing really well right now but the collapse is probably right around the corner for them as well. Vikings toy with our emotions but figure out a way to come up short most years and the Wolves....yeah moving on.

If someone made a sitcom about being MN sports fans and having to go through what we go through I'd watch it and laugh my ass off. Big bucks to be made in that idea!

If someone made a sitcom about being MN sports fans and having to go through what we go through I'd watch it and laugh my ass off. Big bucks to be made in that idea!

How I Met Your Mother had a classic bit about Minnesota Sports fans living in New York.

How I Met Your Mother had a classic bit about Minnesota Sports fans living in New York.

I totally forgot about that...Marshall was from St. Cloud I think. Still one game doesn't even do justice. This is a lifetime spanned out across multiple sports.

Lynx
Twins
Minneapolis Lakers

Only MN pro teams to win championships.

If not for the Lynx the drought would be really depressing since it has been almost 30 years since the Twins won their last world series. I know winning championships is hard but would be awesome if at least one of the Big 4 could find a way to do it say once every 10 years or so.

And the Bucs have 2 Super Bowl wins to soften the blow.

Hey now! The Wild have been on fire since the COVID pause 6-0 until last night's OT loss to Vegas. They still picked up a point!

The common thread between the Gophers and the Timberwolves is that they play like moderately talented AAU teams whose parents have clubbed the coach into submission.

Top Bottom