Ralph Sampson settled in with some big help

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this blog update from Marcus:

Sampson settled in with some big help
By Marcus Fuller on October 22

There isn't another player on Minnesota's basketball team with more potential than Ralph Sampson III, but it's tough trying to predict what kind of jump the sophomore big man will make this season.

One thing is for sure, Sampson is definitely a lot more comfortable being in college.

And a good indication of that was when he welcomed his famous father, former college and NBA standout Ralph Sampson Jr., to campus before school started this fall.

Imagine my surprise when I walked into a bathroom at the Bierman athletic complex and saw a man standing 7-foot-4 washing his hands. Knowing who he was immediately, I asked how his son was doing.

"He's doing great," the elder Sampson said. "He's looking good, too. He put on some weight this summer."

The restroom isn't a great place for a length conversation, so our talk ended there. It wasn't until the Gophers began practice last week that I got to ask the younger Sampson about his father being around more.

"Him coming back with me just made me more comfortable here," he said. "He helped me get my room situated again, moved in. While he was here, he put me through a workout. He wanted to see how I did my workouts here."

Sampson's father was only in town for a day, but they got a lot accomplished.

"We were busy running around and getting my room put together," Sampson said. "We got my schedule down and a workout plan set up."

Being a three-time NCAA player of the year at Virginia, the elder Sampson had one of the most successful college careers ever. Getting a glimpse of what his son's life was like at Minnesota made him have flashbacks, Sampson said.

"He said this was the most fun he's had," Sampson said. "But he had to move me in and turn around and move my sister in at Stanford. He kept saying that was a headache. But he had fun seeing his kids off to college."

-- On the basketball side, the 6-11 Sampson said he feels much stronger weighing 240 pounds. He still considers himself a power forward though. And he looks forward to showcasing an improved jump shot out to 10-12 feet.

That was something surely missing from his game last year, because he wasn't a great post up threat. Sampson could score 9-11 points a game this year if he can hit that mid-range shot and crash the offensive boards consistently. Imagine how much that would open things up inside for sophomore Colton Iverson, freshman Royce White and junior Trevor Mbakwe. All three players should get a chance to play with Sampson in the frontcourt at some point this year.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/10/sampson-settled-in-with-his-fa.html

Go Gophers!!

"There isn't another player on Minnesota's basketball team with more potential than Ralph Sampson III." That sounds like a Myron statement. How exactly does he come to that conclusion? Just because of his father? Does that mean that Jordan's sons have the most potential on their teams?

"There isn't another player on Minnesota's basketball team with more potential than Ralph Sampson III." That sounds like a Myron statement. How exactly does he come to that conclusion? Just because of his father? Does that mean that Jordan's sons have the most potential on their teams?

Maybe its because he's 6'11" with decent athleticism and is really just now learning how to be a big man? Really the only other guys you'd put in his class would be Rodney and Royce

Top Bottom