Rallis Enjoying New Workout Regiman.

1)Technically, what is a sports hernia?
2) What did they used to call them? I don't think I remember them before about 5 years ago.

1)Technically, what is a sports hernia?
2) What did they used to call them? I don't think I remember them before about 5 years ago.

A hernia literally means rupture and it usually includes protrusion by an organ through the abdominal wall.

A "sports hernia" derives its name from being similar in both symptoms and effect as a regular hernia. Also, it is most common in Athletes or those in superior physical shape.

Technically, it is not a hernia though. Instead, it is a tear in the muscle that an organ is pushing through. The sport modifier is thought to be because athletes have stronger abdominal (more mass) and thus it's usually is too thick to rupture...they simply tear. There is probably some truth as athletes rarely suffer a hernia.

I think they used to call them Hernias. The problem is that sports hernias are hard to diagnose because there is no hole. They can only be clinically diagnosed by someone with experience. That is likely the reason they have become more prominent in the last couple decades. Before, it was just severe stomach pain with diagnosis lasting for long periods before the Doc finally finds the tear.

Top Bottom