Radio Broadcast

nevisgopher

Reaction score
Circumstances have dictated that I have yet to see a televised Gopher football game this fall, though I've listened to every game via radio broadcast. The same happened last year and what a difference a year makes. I can now comprehend/visualize what's happening during each play. Kudos to this broadcast team/station. Obviously what happens on/off the field is far more important but a professional broadcast is a small part in building a top-notch program. For those of us who aren't able to see the action with our own eyes, it's huge.

Go Gophers.

And while we are at it we all should acknowledge and give thanks for another good decision by Joel Maturi for the U's athletics program. Joel has had some misses during his Gopher's career but overall he will be leaving the Athletics Department in much better shape then he found it. Nice job, Joel. We are going to miss you.

"...Out damned spot...out..."

"...I come here not to praise macturi...but to bury him..."

Willie S and the walrus!

"...under the bus and into the ditch... the time is...LONG past..."

i. m. THE walrus

; 0 )

Circumstances have dictated that I have yet to see a televised Gopher football game this fall, though I've listened to every game via radio broadcast. The same happened last year and what a difference a year makes. I can now comprehend/visualize what's happening during each play. Kudos to this broadcast team/station. Obviously what happens on/off the field is far more important but a professional broadcast is a small part in building a top-notch program. For those of us who aren't able to see the action with our own eyes, it's huge.

Go Gophers.

Couldn't agree more. KFAN has done an excellent job. And it sure doesn't hurt to have Darrell in the booth.

This reminds me of something. I was traveling by car a few weeks ago and picked up CCO's broadcast of a St. Thomas game. Though still far from perfect, Dave Lee was much better calling plays than he was during Gopher games. I'm guessing it's because he's much closer to the action, its not as noisy and the speed of the game is a bit slower.

While attending the game is my preference, maybe I'm old school...there's something about listening to a Gopher football game on the radio that I actually prefer to television. I have great memories of road hunting pheasants in SW Minnesota with my dad in the 60's on Saturday afternoons in the fall. The radio was always tuned to the Gopher game. Something magical about those times that stuck with me and it made me a life-long Gopher fan. These days I listen while splitting wood or doing odd jobs around the house or cabin...doesn't get much better than that. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

While attending the game is my preference, maybe I'm old school...there's something about listening to a Gopher football game on the radio that I actually prefer to television. I have great memories of road hunting pheasants in SW Minnesota with my dad in the 60's on Saturday afternoons in the fall. The radio was always tuned to the Gopher game. Something magical about those times that stuck with me and it made me a life-long Gopher fan. These days I listen while splitting wood or doing odd jobs around the house or cabin...doesn't get much better than that. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

I remember some of those times with my father as well!! I can still picture Dad next to me with one eye on the road and one eye on the ditch looking for pheasants. He did not have a lazy eye btw, he was very a gifted driver!! He would have his ears locked on Ray Christensen's descriptions of the game!!

I grew up listening to Ray on the radio. You got so much more detail with radio than with the TV announcers, who have only a minimal knowledge of team. A lot of people used to turn the sound down on the TV, and listen to the radio. I tried doing that, but the video was several seconds behind the radio. I suppose you could make a lot of money on bets hearing what happens before you see it.

Top Bottom