Questions For Brewster Supporters

What's not 100 percent true about my statement, not just with the Gophers but 99 percent of all the bowl eligible teams. It's 2010 MBAGuy, a time when everyones a winner.

SouthMetro

One last point MBAGuy, as a long time U of M supporter, I for one am sick up to my sphincter of hearing about our tough schedules and using them as one of a myriad of excuses every single year. It's DI football, ALL THE SCHEDULES ARE TOUGH, FOR ALL THE TEAMS.

SouthMetro

One last point MBAGuy, as a long time U of M supporter, I for one am sick up to my sphincter of hearing about our tough schedules and using them as one of a myriad of excuses every single year. It's DI football, ALL THE SCHEDULES ARE TOUGH, FOR ALL THE TEAMS.

SouthMetro

Oh I apologize, you were obviously including the wins against the high school teams that are played to disguise horrific conference records and get the young lads to toilet bowls.

What's not 100 percent true about my statement, not just with the Gophers but 99 percent of all the bowl eligible teams. It's 2010 MBAGuy, a time when everyones a winner.

So much logical consistency. You're drunk, right?

If he is then he has been since post #1. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I wish I were too.

OK, D-bag

Yeah, I'm the d-bag. You really do get it!

FYI: With about 50 more keystrokes, you could have done all the research that Bob and I did for you. Keep up the valued contributions. You're what makes this community great.

I asked you what's not true about my statement and the best reply you come up with is - "So much logical consistency. You're drunk, right? "

I've only posted on this forum for a short time but one thing is clear. If one is not a Brewster / Maturi booster 100 percent, very few will have a legitimate, friendly and civil debate here. I don't put posters down until they strike at me first. I do like the posters that can have the friendly debate instead of replying to a post with insults and names. Debate can be a good thing.

SouthMetro

I asked you what's not true about my statement and the best reply you come up with is - "So much logical consistency. You're drunk, right? "

I've only posted on this forum for a short time but one thing is clear. If one is not a Brewster / Maturi booster 100 percent, very few will have a legitimate, friendly and civil debate here. I don't put posters down until they strike at me first. I do like the posters that can have the friendly debate instead of replying to a post with insults and names. Debate can be a good thing.

SouthMetro

Sorry, you followed up your question with something that totally contradicted it, so I was confused.

I'm not 100% behind Brewster, dude, so don't use that as a cop out for my problem with your statements. At this point, I'd say I'm about 50% behind Brewster. As I've said on several other threads, I need to see something in 2010 to indicate the talent we've heard so much about is actually coming to something. I support the program so I refuse to sit here and disparage it or the recruits that have been brought in.

If you want to debate, then let's debate.

SouthMetro

What ever you say.

MBAGuy thanks for the decent response. My wish would be for them to dismiss Maturi, bring in an excellent AD that can quickly evaluate the entire program and make the changes that are necessary. If that means giving the coach another year or two so be it. I think things need to change from the top down as far as having an administration that demands excellence and will stand for nothing less. I think this has been the Gopher programs biggest monkey for many years. I know many (myself included) have been quick to blame the head coach as many fans are finally at their wits end. As I said in another thread, my Dad wanted to see a Big10 championship before he died, and sadly it didn't happen. I guess i'm at that age now where i'm thinking the same thing. I know that this program can be successful, and after many years observing from the outside looking in, the programs problems seem to go much deeper than what's on the field. Sorry for the long winded reply, and forgive my GEDGuy comment.

SouthMetro

Yeah, I'm the d-bag. You really do get it!

FYI: With about 50 more keystrokes, you could have done all the research that Bob and I did for you. Keep up the valued contributions. You're what makes this community great.

And you and Bronko are really what make this place so pleasant.

There is this fantastic website called Rivals in which you could look this stuff up yourself...

This year:
Lamonte Edwards chose MN (had offers from Iowa and Wisconsin)
Jimmy Gjere chose MN (had offer from Wisconsin)

Last year:
Ra'shede Hageman chose MN (had offers from Iowa and Wisconsin)

Two Years ago:
Sam Maresh chose MN (had offers from Iowa and Wisconsin)

While Brewster hasn't been able to "shut down the borders", I don't think there can be much argument that these kids likely wouldn't have played for the U under Mason.

Will respectfully disagree on Gjere ... have been told he has always wanted to be a Gopher; truly one of those hometown kids who wants to play for his hometown school. The head coach was not a large factor when he decided to give a verbal.

I'll be honest, the Insight Bowl caused me to lose my last little bit of faith in Brewster. I was really hoping the team would show some meaningful improvement after 15 extra practices (other than fewer penalties), and that would be reason enough to believe in a brighter future. Now, I'm grasping for reasons to be optimistic, and I need be be educated on what exactly I'm not seeing.

Question #1: I agree with those who say Brewster is a good recruiter. I can also see merit in the argument that he needs more time to coach his own recruits. But, what exactly do you see to make you believe that Brewster is a good coach?

I don't see anything that says he's a good coach, but I have yet to see any coaching decisions that have lost a game! I have seen some failures in execution but it appeared that if the plays were executed properly we had guys in good spots to make plays!

Question #2: If so many here believe that Brewster is such a good coach, why are so many posters already predicting such a poor record for next year? I know it's a tough schedule, but Brewster says it will be his best team yet. Good Coach + Best Team Yet + Fourth Year of Program = More Victories? Seems like every year posters keep pushing back their timetable for the team being good. Aren't most of the reasons for the low expectations ultimately the lack of improvement under Brewster so far? Wouldn't most posters have predicted 5 wins with that schedule four years ago?

I would say Brewster's best team talent wise is probably still not up to par with the likes of tOSU, USC, Penn St-if you can argue that differently I would love to hear that!

Question #3: I know some anti-Brewster "haters" can be obnoxious (can't we all?), but why do so many posters insist that being anti-Brewster means that you are not a true Gopher fan? If Brewster is 3-9 in 2011, would you support his firing then? Would this then mean that you're not a true fan?

I think the majority who say someone isn't a "true" gopher fan are those who read additional posts where many have decided to be angry and bitter in the majority of their posts. When people make posts that say they won't be a gopher fan until Rose Bowl, Big Ten Champ, National Title etc the shoe fits. No one from Iowa or Wisky are making those comments. Look at what Wisky used to be until Alvarez, then no matter what Camp Randal was filled-win or loss. In Minny I truly believe we have one of the worst fan bases in the country. If Minny fans don't think the Gophers are going to be successful they go watch the Vikings etc. Not many states with one major division 1 college, have all the professional sports teams together in one city. When things look grim many go somewhere else.

I cheer for the Gophers, not whoever the head coach may be, so I'll still be hoping for the best next year. I just can't find much of a factual basis for believing in Brewster's abilities. Maybe if the talent level overrides his shortcomings... maybe if he stops being blindly optimistic and critically evaluates the job he's done so far (or Maturi forces him to do so) ... maybe there's hope.

Here is my question to you, When has Brew made a coaching decision(Im talking X's and O's not the same "he played weber all year") that has lost us a game? Next question is: How many games this year did we appear to have made good to great halftime adjustments to make us have a more successful game?

Last comment-Just because our offense went sour as the season progressed, it doesn't mean we didn't see improvement. I thought there were a lot of positives we can take out of this season. None of this means I don't expect more next season, because I do! I just think Brew has done enough to deserve to stick around one more year for sure, maybe 2!

Will respectfully disagree on Gjere ... have been told he has always wanted to be a Gopher; truly one of those hometown kids who wants to play for his hometown school. The head coach was not a large factor when he decided to give a verbal.

Opinion! Can't be proven or disproven! But it's kind of a childish arguement!

Sure it could be proven ... those who know Jimmy and his family will verify that, probably never on the record though. By the way, agree with Bob on all the other guys he pointed out ... and yes, it could be viewed as childish.

Sure it could be proven ... those who know Jimmy and his family will verify that, probably never on the record though. By the way, agree with Bob on all the other guys he pointed out ... and yes, it could be viewed as childish.

what if i give you someone that says otherwise in the same boat?

Top Bottom