Question for Shipley at Strib: Is this biggest revenue game ever at TCF?

swingman

Reaction score
Be interesting for Star Tribune's Shipley to find out if this will be the biggest revenue game ever at TCF.

He is a big time reporter who likes to dig deep and get to the core of the big economic issues in sports.

The big ticket price hikes started in 2015 and were phased in (2017 hike was cancelled, iirc)...I think this may be biggest crowd with the fully priced tickets so far. Iowa game in 2016 was announced 49,000, that was 11 a.m...night game, 6:30 p.m. start prbly means better booze and dinner concession sales?

This might be the highest surcharge game for a premium opponent so far as well; can't remember what that 2016 game surcharge was....i know this one has a lot of $200-plus tickets in effort to soak up some of the Big Red dollars.

Trick is getting the U Athletic Department to help with the info on dollars and to have them correctly factor in the "scholarship" donations for season ticket holders as part of the revenue and getting the full parking revenue factored in.

I would think PJ would encourage Coyle to get some positive news out showing the great economic support and economic impact the team has to dispel some of earlier coverage about how bad support is and to get some love from area businesses.

Lot of sold out sections. Looks like only non-singles left are in the $160 and up sections...mainly the $200 and up options...maybe 2,000 of those available if gophersports seat chart is accurate.

Last edited:

Be interesting for Star Tribune's Shipley to find out if this will be the biggest revenue game ever at TCF.

He is a big time reporter who likes to dig deep and get to the core of the big economic issues in sports.

The big ticket price hikes started in 2015 and were phased in (2017 hike was cancelled, iirc)...I think this may be biggest crowd with the fully priced tickets so far. Iowa game in 2016 was announced 49,000, that was 11 a.m...night game, 6:30 start mean better booze and dinner concession sales?

This might be the highest surcharge game for a premium opponent so far as well....lot of $200-plus tickets in effort to soak up some of the Big Red dollars.

Trick is getting the U Athletic Department to help with the dollars and correctly factor in the donatiions for season ticket holders as part of the revenue and the full parking revenue.

I would think PJ would encourage Coyle to get some positive news out showing the great economic support the team has to dispel some of earlier coverage about how bad support is.

Looks like only non-singles left are in the $160 and up sections...mainly the $200 and up options...maybe 2,000 of those available if gophersports seat chart is accurate.

Is he related to the Pioneer Press' John Shipley?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Shipley works for the Pioneer Press. This may be the first time in his life he's been referred to as a "big time reporter." I don't even think he'd label himself as such.

Go Gophers!!

Thinking this will be a sellout, no? And, although it will be cold I am also expecting the gap between sold seats and butts in seats to be a lower rate than what we have become used to. This has the possibility to be a great atmosphere Saturday night.

My concern, and I am a season ticket holder in the area where the cost is the most (excluding suites and club). With the chilly weather, I have a feeling some fans may look at the prices and have some sticker shock. I get it, it is big time football and this is a HUGE game. But this is my concern. The get in isn't terrible up top, but I hope we can fill all the seats. This isn't a new issue and not looking to debate at all. It is just what I fear. This is our TIME, I hope we can pack the house and move to 6-0. Have to enjoy each moment for what it is, an opportunity. I don't see many schedules in the future where the path is any cleaner than this year to get to a high number without a loss. I hope we can all show up on Saturday and do the best we can.

PS: If the weather terrorists can help too that would be appreciated....HA Don't scare us with snow accumulation talk when temps are upper 30's :)

I’m making a trip in from out of town so bought my tickets thru the U of M ticket office the day single game seats went on sale for the premium games. I was a bit surprised by the cost. Second row, upper deck at mid field for $190 a seat.

If it sells out it should bring in the most revenue out of any game at TCF with tickets being the most expensive now. I'm guessing they don't track that though. They don't choose their conference games so there's no point in spending money to track revenue by game.

It could also end up being one of the most important in terms of recruiting and getting donations. Even if we've been favored in all of these games it's still impressive to win them all and it makes the team look really good.

I’m making a trip in from out of town so bought my tickets thru the U of M ticket office the day single game seats went on sale for the premium games. I was a bit surprised by the cost. Second row, upper deck at mid field for $190 a seat.

What section?

I think this will be very interesting to see the fan breakdown inside. I agree with many of you if the temps dip down, there may be fewer people in the seats, though I remember the Wisconsin game a few years ago was pretty chilly and it was still quite full. The price point will also be interesting to see if you do scoop up the casual fan with an undefeated team (let's face it, the U got massively lucky with the timing of this game) or if now you'll see people trying to hawk their tickets to make money and we end up with more Huskers filling in the gaps. I picked up my tickets. Can't wait to see what the atmosphere is like. Hope its rowdy.

Top Bottom