Question for Hodger: what does each BT team need to do make The Dance?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hodger, I hate to ask you to do any more work than you already do for your weekly college hoops posts which are so well done, but now that the non-conference season is done (save a few late season NC games for a few BT teams), how would you break down the chances that each team has to make The Dance? Who needs to do what?

Thanks for any insight.

Go Gophers!!

Big 10 guesstimate

Bleed, obviously a lot can happen and there's a long way to go to March 15th, but here's how I'd assess each of the Big 10 teams' chances to get a NCAA at-large bid (in the event they don't win the BTT). For now, despite its #10 RPI ranking, I'm keeping Northwestern out of the conversation. Until NW pulls off a surprise or two in the Big 10, I'm not considering the Wildcats a legitimate NCAA candidate.

In addition, I'm making an assumption for 2 teams. ... Michigan State & Purdue will make the NCAA Tournament. Those are the only teams in the Big 10 I'm 100% confident will be nowhere near the bubble on Selection Sunday.

Michigan #1, then Ohio State
Leading the way, I think, are Michigan and Ohio State. Odds are 9-9 during the regular season will be enough get them into the NCAA. Both have multiple out-of-conference wins that in all likelihood will be considered "quality" at the end of the season. Michigan beat Duke and UCLA, while OSU has wins over Butler, Miami-Florida and Notre Dame. Lighty's injury, obviously, is something to watch.

Illinois & the Gophers the next tier
A 10-8 finish by Illinois or the Gophers should put them in good shape, but I'd put the Illini slightly ahead of the Gophers to this point. The Gophers have a much better "signature win" than the Illini (Louisville vs. Mizzou), but Illinois has played a significantly better nonconference schedule. The Illini have a lot of solid-but-not-great wins, while the Gophers have feasted mostly on marshmallows. Collectively Illinois' wins over Georgia (BCS), Mizzou (BCS), Tulsa (perhaps 2nd best team in C-USA) and Vandy (BCS) could look pretty good in March. It would help the Gophers immensely if Cornell (Ivy favorite), Virginia (BCS) and to a lesser extent NDSU (one of Summit favorites) put together good seasons.

Badgers have work to do
Heading into the Big 10 season I think UW (for a change) has reason to be nervous. The Badgers don't really have a signature win. The win at Virginia Tech is a good win, but the Badgers have lost every other significant nonconference game they've played (Marquette, Texas, UConn). 10-8 might be good enough for the Badgers, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Penn State needs to kick a*s in the Big 10
I'd have Penn State clearly at the bottom of the Big 10 totem pole with regards to possible at-large teams. The Nitts' win at Georgia Tech was nice, but Tech has been a major bust this season. The Nitts are 11-2, but all they've done is beat a bunch of creampuffs. Hence, the #149 RPI ranking. Penn State needs to go at least 11-7, and 3-4 of those wins better be against the upper-tier of the Big 10, not just the middle & bottom.

Thanks! I appreciate the analysis.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom