Question for Fleck Critics

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
I always love a skeptic. Thats sincere and not sarcasm. When Fleck got hired I remember alot of people upset that Flecks RTB was on team uniforms. Wondering how critics and skeptics feel about that now?

Someday when Fleck is no longer coaching at Minnesota we will look back at these games with RTB and oars on uniforms. Has it been worth it?

In your opinion how much longer (or how many wins if performance based) will Fleck have to coach at Minnesota for you to feel his schtick and RTB was "worth it" or "a good hire"?

It was worth it the second he stepped to the podium and gave his opening speech. I wanted to put a helmet on and do some hittin' at that moment...and I'm no spring chicken.

I always love a skeptic. Thats sincere and not sarcasm. When Fleck got hired I remember alot of people upset that Flecks RTB was on team uniforms. Wondering how critics and skeptics feel about that now?

Someday when Fleck is no longer coaching at Minnesota we will look back at these games with RTB and oars on uniforms. Has it been worth it?

In your opinion how much longer (or how many wins if performance based) will Fleck have to coach at Minnesota for you to feel his schtick and RTB was "worth it" or "a good hire"?

He may end up being a good hire, but the jury is still out on that for a number of reasons.

As for putting the coach’s personal brand on the University of Minnesota uniforms. It was never worth it. Not for Fleck or any other coach.

My feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a skeptic but just a critic. I still am annoyed by things like the rtb on the unis and oars on the helmets(I think non critics even agree on that one). The fleckisms still annoy as well but winning eases the annoying for me a little but still find reasons to cringe every now and then.

I would also consider myself a critic - not a skeptic.

I have said from day 1 that he was the right hire and I think he could be successful here. I still feel that way.

I have also said from day 1 that I didn’t like his shtick, found it annoying, and in some cases insincere and/or dishonest, and therefore offensive. I still feel that way.

I really like the direction of the Gophers. I already think it was “worth it” to hire PJ - but I am also unlikely to ever change my view on either of the day 1 statements mentioned above.

I still find the RTB, HYPPER, FAMILY, and ELITE acronyms to be hokie. Get the beaver tail off the helmet and enough with the anthracite. These things will not impress me. They are unnecessary for public consumption.
That being said. I appreciate winning so if Fleck keeps winning I will appreciate the results. I won't become a lover of silly acronyms, however.

The oar/bevaer tail was so annoying to you two that you haven't noticed it's gone?

FYI....I thought it was a maxipad and hated it more than you two! I noticed it was gone game 1 of this year.

I know the handle still exists, but it's like a normal helmet stripe.

Fleckisms are just fine. They may appear awkward to some, but as he says, he isn't for everyone. But, as a player, you buy into it before you go to the U. So, I am okay with it. Winning is everything and we are on our way.

I don’t like that stuff on the uniforms, and I’m not big on slogans. However, I want a winning football program, so I’m willing to put up with it if as long as he delivers results.

I still find the RTB, HYPPER, FAMILY, and ELITE acronyms to be hokie. Get the beaver tail off the helmet and enough with the anthracite. These things will not impress me. They are unnecessary for public consumption.
That being said. I appreciate winning so if Fleck keeps winning I will appreciate the results. I won't become a lover of silly acronyms, however.

The beaver tail (which was pretty universally hated by all of us is already gone, and Anthracite pre-dates Fleck's arrival as an alternate color.

Minnesotans don’t like showy. They also don’t like people who talk fast. They also don’t like to hear your opinion, unless it’s exactly the same as theirs. They also don’t like catch phrases, unless it’s “Skol Vikings,” “Win Twins,” “Let’s go Wild,” or “Hey, borrow me that hotdish”.

They apparently don’t like winners, either. That’s just too braggy.

I’ll take him as is.

I appreciate everyones comments.

My own take: I'm a big Fleck fan. I love the Anthacrite (think Its a separate issue).
If the players like the uniforms and if they hrlp recruiting I have no problem with it.
Myself personally I prefer maroon and gold unis

I liked Fleck from day one.

The Fleckisms I think are generally good. There aren't any where what he's trying to accomplish goes against a moral compass of mine or anything. Generally they come with solid advice.
The decals on the helmet don't bother me much. For my little bit of not liking the oar, I love what he's done with Goldy and other helmet options like the numbers on the helmets tonight.

I actually liked the Anthracite before Fleck came for an alternate. I seriously think it's a good look.

1. The unis don’t “help recruiting”. Dumb.
2. RTB is not comparable to “win Twins”. Super dumb.

I'm not a skeptic but just a critic. I still am annoyed by things like the rtb on the unis and oars on the helmets(I think non critics even agree on that one). The fleckisms still annoy as well but winning eases the annoying for me a little but still find reasons to cringe every now and then.

You wrote my answer for me. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Minnesotans don’t like showy. They also don’t like people who talk fast. They also don’t like to hear your opinion, unless it’s exactly the same as theirs. They also don’t like catch phrases, unless it’s “Skol Vikings,” “Win Twins,” “Let’s go Wild,” or “Hey, borrow me that hotdish”.

I’ll take him as is.

Wow, self hate.

I hate adding a coaches personal slogans to the uniforms. I barely even notice them but it's a matter of principle.

Any other uniform changes, I don't care about.

I personally find some of his mannerisms a tad annoying, but I don't care either. I thought Jerry Kill's "aww shucks" stuff was annoying and Tracy Claeys was boring. I don't really care about that stuff either.

Part of this conversation is an inability to separate the sound from the noise. Most of the people on here who have been labeled Fleck "skeptics", like Fleck as our coach and always have. They don't like certain things (the way the admin described the hiring and stuff on the uniforms), but it'd be hard to find many people who weren't excited about him as a coach.

I’ll take him as is.

That's so cool.

I guess the question is, does Fleck need the slogans, the catch phrases, the repetition to coach?

I just don't see any of that as "coaching." to me, coaching is X's and O's - teaching the players how to execute the offensive and defensive game plan. Yes, there is a motivational aspect, but it involves motivating the players - not the public.

I don't care what Fleck says to the players at practice or in the locker room, because I don't have to listen to it. I don't care what he says to recruits in their home or his office, because I don't have to listen to it. But, as a follower of the Gophers, it's hard to avoid listening to the head coach.

bottom line, if the team wins, I'll grit my teeth and live with it. But I just don't ever foresee a day when I'm happy with it. It grates on me like fingernails on a blackboard.

It was worth it the second he stepped to the podium and gave his opening speech. I wanted to put a helmet on and do some hittin' at that moment...and I'm no spring chicken.

You're a skeptic?

I like PJF and think he is a great recruiter. I don't care for all the slogans but will happily get over it to have a winning FB program.

I guess the question is, does Fleck need the slogans, the catch phrases, the repetition to coach?

I just don't see any of that as "coaching." to me, coaching is X's and O's - teaching the players how to execute the offensive and defensive game plan. Yes, there is a motivational aspect, but it involves motivating the players - not the public.

I don't care what Fleck says to the players at practice or in the locker room, because I don't have to listen to it. I don't care what he says to recruits in their home or his office, because I don't have to listen to it. But, as a follower of the Gophers, it's hard to avoid listening to the head coach.

bottom line, if the team wins, I'll grit my teeth and live with it. But I just don't ever foresee a day when I'm happy with it. It grates on me like fingernails on a blackboard.

SON. Seriously, you need to really try to get over it. It works. I once thought, "Oh, god, its Jim Wacker on dope." I actually enjoy it now. The way he whips up the naysayers is just as effective as how Bud Grant did the same. They virtually used the same methodology, different directions on the circle. I seriously think this is no schtick. Its Tony Robbins, its Norman Vincent Peale, its Stephen Covey. It works.

He's looking better and better. I hope he stays at least ten years. 6-0 is much better than I expected - I thought we'd lose to Fresno, maybe Purdue, probably Nebraska.

You clearly have never built a team or managed a group of people successfully. It is all about that group's buy-in. By whatever means you decide to try. Clearly it is working with our players. That. Is. All. That. Matters.

I would also consider myself a critic - not a skeptic.

I have said from day 1 that he was the right hire and I think he could be successful here. I still feel that way.

I have also said from day 1 that I didn’t like his shtick, found it annoying, and in some cases insincere and/or dishonest, and therefore offensive. I still feel that way.

I really like the direction of the Gophers. I already think it was “worth it” to hire PJ - but I am also unlikely to ever change my view on either of the day 1 statements mentioned above.

You’re offended by his positive culture? Offended??? Toughen up snowflake.

You clearly have never built a team or managed a group of people successfully. It is all about that group's buy-in. By whatever means you decide to try. Clearly it is working with our players. That. Is. All. That. Matters.

RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers!

I don't care one way or the other.

I got the Brick by Brick of the predecessors, and I understand the Row the Boat mantra of the current regime.

If the team buys into the mantra, WE, on the outside do not matter.

Things are trending positive. Ride the wave.

You're Missing The Point

You think he's just trying to get the players to "execute the offensive and defensive game plan!!! What he's trying to do is build a culture. Build character in all aspects of their lives. You may think it's hokey but he isn't trying to win the minds of 50 to 70 year old fans, he's trying to win the minds of 17 to 22 year olds. Building a "player-led team" rather than a "coach-led team". Instead of gritting your teeth, why not open your mind to fresh new ideas and enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom