QB pronunciation confirmation

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
A lot of people new to college football struggle with QB pronunciation. It is K-A-L-I-A-K-M-A-N-I-S, which is pronounced “Mertz” rhyming with “Hertz”. This reminds me: let’s rent a new QB through the portal and win some games next year.

Or, please, someone make me feel better and tell me about a college QB that threw for under 60% for this long and actually became an elite passer. I’d love to be wrong and look back at my current opinion some day and declare how wrong I was. I badly want to be wrong.

All I know is Fleck better not be blindly loyal to him next 2 years. We have to legit hit the Portal.

All I know is Fleck better not be blindly loyal to him next 2 years. We have to legit hit the Portal.
its interesting (your second part). this is actually an offense that appears to be made to have an upper classman guy walk in and have a ready made group to lead (a la Wilson for the BADgers) but we were silent there. i get wanting a leader and a voice, but i hope we don't choose to sacrifice games for that in the future if AK doesn't figure his shit out

A lot of people new to college football struggle with QB pronunciation. It is K-A-L-I-A-K-M-A-N-I-S, which is pronounced “Mertz” rhyming with “Hertz”. This reminds me: let’s rent a new QB through the portal and win some games next year.

Or, please, someone make me feel better and tell me about a college QB that threw for under 60% for this long and actually became an elite passer. I’d love to be wrong and look back at my current opinion some day and declare how wrong I was. I badly want to be wrong.

Russell Wilson was pretty good eventually. Under 60% for 3 full seasons. Was over 70% as a senior. 33/4 TD/INT. Over 3k yards.

Lamar Jackson an elite runner so I excluded him because Athan isn’t that.

Does AK look like he is throwing more side arm this year? Last year it seemed like he set his feet more. This year it seems like his feet are messed up, not set, and he's throwing off balance.

Is that just me?

AK looks like someone playing Counterstrike running around shooting the AWP with the scope off

I'm with you on being concerned as posted elsewhere, but I'll try to take the glass half full approach. Counting last year, AK only has 7 complete games under his belt full (plus a half vs Nebraska and about a quarter each vs Syracuse and Illinois last year). He has some time to figure it out, but it's been brutal so far this year. As of now, he has the worst passer rating for starting QBs in the conference now that Sims (NE) and Sorsby (IU) are riding the pine.

I don't know the answer to that question, but AK was brutal today. Brutal. There is no sugar coating it. His play was the key to our season. Not saying that he can't turn it up, but man... I am not encouraged.

Russell Wilson was pretty good eventually. Under 60% for 3 full seasons. Was over 70% as a senior. 33/4 TD/INT. Over 3k yards.

Lamar Jackson an elite runner so I excluded him because Athan isn’t that.
Josh Allen was 56% in college and has gotten much better in his pro career.

Give Cole a real shot in one of the next two games. See what he's got. He was sharper passing in the Spring game than Athan and he's been around long enough to know the system.

I had high hopes for Athan, like many here. Maybe he'll get there. But, for 2023, the Gophers have a bad quarterback.

This is how I see it. He comes out incredibly hyped up so his passes are bullets and high, off target. His short throws are zingers, too. He probably needs to learn to control his emotions More. Plus, the game is probably too fast for him right now and he over reacts with his throws, and his mechanics suffer. In time, he should improve. I’d like to see him work with a quarterback guru in season and out of season. PJ talks about poise. Athan is not poised right now but I think he can get there. Look at the throws of Maye. Those come from a position of talent and poise.

Top Bottom