Q&A With Abdoulaye Thiam

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Can you tell us the process on how you came to Minnesota?
The process as a whole is a little overwhelming, but once I had the offer, I felt good about it. I knew that Minnesota was building this team and I really wanted to be a part of that and jump on that journey with them.

What was it about Minnesota that you liked and as you began looking at this school?
I really liked the culture and the look of what they trying to do. I knew that it was family-oriented based and that was something I really liked about it.

You're one of the younger players on the team. Who are some of the older players that have mentored you already this year and what advice have you gotten from them?
All of the seniors have really helped me out in this transition. The older guys keep me motivated and tell me to be confident all the time. Keep shooting my shot. That even comes from the coaches. Just go out and play and play with confidence.

With a lot of new team members, how or what has the team done to already gain some chemistry on and off the court?
As a team, we hang out every day. We see each other every day, we hang out, play video games and we just communicate on and off the court.

You came to Minnesota pretty much sight unseen. Have you been able to go to many places or what are some of your favorite places here so far?
I think this place is cool and great. I'm not a big weather guy, but it's been a great experience. I've been to Mall of America, I went to the State Fair. I've also been to Parker's (Fox) bunk and rode jet skis. That was really fun.

What do you like to do when you're not playing basketball?
I like to play video games like GTA and 2K. I also watch film and study a lot and hang out with the guys.

Go Gophers!!

The intro for context:

Abdoulaye Thiam came to Minnesota without seeing campus, but knew Minnesota was where he wanted to be. Played his first year at Indian River State College (JUCO), the Orlando, Fla., native was named a First Team All-Southern Conference selection as he helped the Pioneers to a Southern Conference Championship. Thiam was also a part of the team that qualified for the Junior College National Tournament where he was named to the FCSAA/NJCAA Region VIII All-Tournament Team. That year, he averaged 15 points per game, was 56 percent from the field and 48.6 three-point shooting percentage. He saw action in all 24 games and scored double figures in 20 of them. Prior to his time at Indian River State College, Thiam played at Dr. Phillips High School where he averaged 17.6 ppg and most notably had 34 points en route to a Class 7A, District 3 title.

Top Bottom