Q&A: Thomas Barber Enjoying Senior Season, Excited to Build on Family Legacy at Minn

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Thomas Barber Enjoying Senior Season, Excited to Build on Family Legacy at Minn

Q&A: Thomas Barber Enjoying Senior Season, Excited to Build on Family Legacy at Minnesota
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/561598?referrer_id=

Thomas Barber, a 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker from Robbinsdale (MN) Armstrong, committed to Minnesota in the spring, following in the footsteps of his football family. Barber is the son of former Gopher standout Marion Barber II and the younger brother of ex-Minnesota stars Marion III and Dom.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Barber to learn the latest about his senior season.

Gopher Hole: A big win for you. How pleased are you with how well you are playing so far this season?

Thomas Barber: We are pretty satisfied with how the season has gone so far. It is a really big improvement from last year's season (3-6) and we just want to keep moving forward and doing the right things.

Gopher Hole: To be honest, Armstrong has not had a ton of success recently. Is that something that you have made a focal point being a senior to have some success and have a winning record?

Thomas Barber: Yes, it is a big deal. My first year, playing varsity, we went 0-9, then 3-5 and this year, we have already got the three wins (now four) and we are trying to keep moving forward and that will be big to be the first team to finish above .500 in a while and get that first playoff win in sections.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that winning builds some confidence and maybe in the past you didn't maybe believe that you could win and now you guys seem to have a little more belief and have some more success?

Thomas Barber: We bonded with all our teammates since we were little kids and we have known that we can do something special with this program and that was our goal. The confidence with our team is great and we are pumped to get out there every day practice and play.

Gopher Hole: Are you planning at being at most of the Gopher home games this season?

Thomas Barber: Yes, I plan on being at those games. I am really excited to watch them play.

Gopher Hole: Now that you are finally a senior, is it weird to be a senior?

Thomas Barber: Yes, it is. I'm seeing the last few senior classes leave and it is like "Wow, it is already here." Try to make the most of it this year with my friends and just enjoy it and have a fun ride.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to the Gopher coaches much about what position you would play in college? I assume that you are going to stay at linebacker, but are you going to play inside?

Thomas Barber: I think right now inside. That is where they want me to play. They say that I am kind of a bowling ball that will go in there and blast with the fullbacks. That is where I think that they are comfortable with me playing.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about what you are going to major in at college yet? Have you given that much thought?

Thomas Barber: Kind of. I am trying to do something in business. That is my goal.

Gopher Hole: I know that when we talked right after you committed you talked about how important it was to be part of the Gopher family. Is that something that you always thought about following in the footsteps of your family members in being a Gopher?

Thomas Barber: Yes. I knew that if I got that offer, I was going to commit right away really fast and I did within a week. I have always been excited. I knew that there was really no place else I wanted to go and I am just excited.

Gopher Hole: Is it good to have that off your back and you can just focus on your senior year then?

Thomas Barber: Yes. It makes things a lot easier. Enjoy the senior year and help make this team successful throughout the year.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about when you are going to make your official visit? Have you talked to the coaches about that? Would it be after your high school season?

Thomas Barber: Yes, probably sometime in November.

the barber's are the first family of gopher football.

I remember seeing a mini Barber at tailgates.

All grown up.

Barber has had some big games this year. I'm excited to see another Barber in maroon and gold!

Go Gophers!!

I remember -

I remember seeing a mini Barber at tailgates.

All grown up.

If I remember correctly, when Marion was running wild for the Gophers, his Dad said "The best athlete of the four boys was his younger son who if I am correct was in 7th grade at that time. If this is the case, we are going to have one H--- of a linebacker.

Will we have two All-American Linebackers in a couple years?

Doesn't Darrell Thompson's sons play for Armstrong, the same team as Barber. Are either of them D1 prospects or have the Gophers attention? Having a varsity level Dad and Mom has to mean they have the bloodlines to be considered.

Top Bottom