Q&A: Eden Prairie TE Zach Hovey Has PWO Offer From Gophers, Badgers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Eden Prairie TE Zach Hovey Has PWO Offer From Gophers, Badgers
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/321484?referrer_id=388419

Zach Hovey, a 6-5, 230-pound senior tight end from Eden Prairie (MN) High, helped lead the Eagles to the Prep Bowl title for the third straight year with a 28-7 win over Rosemount. The two-sport athlete also helped Eden Prairie to a fourth place finish in March’s Class AAAA boys’ basketball tournament. Hovey talked to Gopher Hole to talk about the latest on his recruitment and his senior season.

Gopher Hole: What was the feeling when Minnesota offered you a preferred walk-on opportunity?

Zach Hovey: I am excited. It is obviously a great opportunity for me. It is something that I would definitely have to consider.

Gopher Hole: What offers do you have right now?

Zach Hovey: Army, Air Force, Wyoming, Montana State, UND, Illinois State and then a few Ivy Leagues, Wofford, Bucknell. Of the Ivys, I have Yale, Cornell, Penn and Columbia.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any other preferred walk-on opportunities? I know that Wisconsin has been looking at you hard.

Zach Hovey: Yes. Wisconsin and Minnesota are my two preferred walk-ons. .

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor in trying to decide on a scholarship or walk-on opportunity.

Zach Hovey: That is a good question. It is something that I have to talk to about with my parents and whether I would have a chance to earn a scholarship later in the future, down the road.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers have had a lot of former walk-ons who earned scholarships and Wisconsin has too. I’m sure that they have brought up some names of some players to you. Does that get you more excited about it when you look at certain players who are on those teams who started out as walk-ons, but are now scholarship players and starters?

Zach Hovey: Yes, definitely. One particular comes to mind, which is J.J. Watt out of Wisconsin. Obviously, he was a great player, earned a scholarship and went to the NFL. Yes, there is definitely a chance and I get super excited when I talk about it.

Gopher Hole: It is a little bit of a tough turnaround since you are focused on recruitment, but you have basketball starting quick. How are you going to get everything you want to do done?

Zach Hovey: My weight training coach gave me an article that he found and it was about keys to success and it said get up early and another one was stay up late.

Gopher Hole: I have seen you at several Gopher games this fall. Have you had a chance to get to many games?

Zach Hovey: Yes. I have been to quite a few.

Gopher Hole: How many Gopher games have you been to?

Zach Hovey: Maybe four.

Gopher Hole: What other college games did you make?

Zach Hovey: I went to Wisconsin. I went to Wyoming.

Gopher Hole: I know that you would like to visit some schools, but it is tough with your schedule with basketball starting. Have you thought about making some visits?

Zach Hovey: Definitely. I talked to my basketball coach and he understands that football is the route I want to go with my future. I think that he definitely understands that there are going to be some weekends where I won’t be available.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor that is going to make you pick School A over School B and C?

Zach Hovey: I have to go through it and I have to fall in love with it and I have to fall in love with the coaches and fall in love with the teammates and the facilities. I have to fall in love with the school itself, the academics.

Gopher Hole: Do you have a favorite school yet or is it still too early for that?

Zach Hovey: It is still up in the air right now, but we’ll see. I am hoping to take some visits before the end of the year.

Gopher Hole: Another state title for you. How does this compare to the first two?

Zach Hovey: I have been playing with my senior buddies who I have grown up with since third or fourth grade. Nothing beats this feeling. It is just the greatest feeling in the world. The student section, the seniors up in front cheer you on. It’s great.

Gopher Hole: No big school has ever won three straight state titles. Does that make even more special knowing that you are the first team to ever do that?

Zach Hovey: Yes. Definitely. It is something my teammates have been talking about with “Road To Three,” RT3. The coaches have been hollering at us, so it is pretty great.

Is this interview from a while ago? 247 has him taking visits to Bucknell and New Mexico in the last two weeks with offers from both.

It is hard to see any place for this guy with 3 TE recruits already for 2104, Maxx only a freshman and Wozniak who will be a redshirt freshman. I would go to a school where I would have a chance to play and get a scholarship.

Or just take one of the scholarships and go with that. He has offers from New Mexico and Wyoming, which, while not exactly powerhouses, are still FBS schools in a decent conference.

Somebody tell Zach that JJ Watt was not a walk on.

Top Bottom