PTI Today

gopherfrommt

Reaction score
Not sure if this was already posted or not. Minnesota made it on Pardon The Interruption today. They both thought that Indiana storming the court was ridiculous. They said Indiana has 5 banners hanging over their court and they storm the court over an unranked opponent. Glad to hear them comment on this.

Good - the IU student section should be called out and shamed for their ridiculous behavior.

If you storm the court when you beat an unranked opponent, when DON'T you storm the court. There has to be at least some discretion here.

Next time the gophs should just win and this wont happen...

Take the Gophers out of the equation. Its ridiculous to rush the court when beating any unranked opponent, especially when you are a school that has multiple national championship banners hanging in the roster.

I'm not irritated that they rushed the floor against us, I'm irritated that they felt the need to do it given the situation.

Good - the IU student section should be called out and shamed for their ridiculous behavior.

If you storm the court when you beat an unranked opponent, when DON'T you storm the court. There has to be at least some discretion here.

It is called supporting your team. I see nothing wrong with this. They have a sh&tty team that plays hard. The fans get it.

Their team played hard start to finish and dominated an above average conference opponent for most of the game. Then they overcame and overtime deficit to grab hold of the win.

I can see both sides to this.

Storming the court ranks right up there in ridiculous behavior along with booing a pre-conference opponent who:
• we haven't played for years (decades) and
• are either not competitive or just barely so.

Yet our student section lustily booed Brown, St Joe's, Northern Illinois, etc and justify it on the basis of showing their "team loyalty."

I posted this on the other thread. Meant to post it here.

We could always go back to the 'old days'.

"1929 It has become common practice to surround the court with a suspended wire basket or cage to keep the ball and players inbound - players often come off after a game with chain-link marks on their skin. Naismith's original rules stated that the first player to get to the out-of-bounds ball gained possession. This had led to mayhem and the first answer was the cage. In 1929 this is abandoned and replaced with the simple side-line throw, although basketball players will still be called "cagers" for many years".

"Cager
A basketball player; derived from the days when a wire mesh barrier surrounded the court to protect the fans from the players and vice versa".

Storming the court ranks right up there in ridiculous behavior along with booing a pre-conference opponent who:
• we haven't played for years (decades) and
• are either not competitive or just barely so.

Yet our student section lustily booed Brown, St Joe's, Northern Illinois, etc and justify it on the basis of showing their "team loyalty."

I disagree - its not even close. Booing from your seat and making a cognizant decision to pick up your feet and run past security are completely different actions. Booing of the opposing team (just because they are the opposing team) happens at basketball games happens from HS up to the NBA. Floor-rushing can even become dangerous. Booing? Pretty harmless.

Save the floor rush for a truly special moment in your season. Beating a top 5 team (provided your own team is not ranked that high) or clinching a conference championship come to mind for me. Obviously there are no hard and fast rules on this, its a judgement call, and I certainly don't make the rules. Just my opinion.

Do the students remember the 5 championships?

I am guessing that it is the students that are rushing the court? Indiana's last NCAA title came in 1987 - before most of the students were even born. They don't remember Keith Smart or Steve Alford.

Those students that have been there 4+ years (Seniors, if you will) have endured the ugly end of the Mike Davis era, good success and then a massive scandal under Kelvin Sampson, and then a one win conference season under Coach Crean last year. I can see how they are getting excited over victories against unranked opponents, championship banners in the rafters be damned.

Another way to look at it, as Gopher fans, is as a sign of respect. Would they have stormed the court after beating IUPUI? Probably not. Will they storm the court after beating Iowa this year? My guess is no as well. Minnesota is viewed around the conference as one of the best teams in the Big Ten with one of the best coaches in the Big Ten. In an odd way, it might just be a compliment.

I am guessing that it is the students that are rushing the court? Indiana's last NCAA title came in 1987 - before most of the students were even born. They don't remember Keith Smart or Steve Alford.

Those students that have been there 4+ years (Seniors, if you will) have endured the ugly end of the Mike Davis era, good success and then a massive scandal under Kelvin Sampson, and then a one win conference season under Coach Crean last year. I can see how they are getting excited over victories against unranked opponents, championship banners in the rafters be damned.

Another way to look at it, as Gopher fans, is as a sign of respect. Would they have stormed the court after beating IUPUI? Probably not. Will they storm the court after beating Iowa this year? My guess is no as well. Minnesota is viewed around the conference as one of the best teams in the Big Ten with one of the best coaches in the Big Ten. In an odd way, it might just be a compliment.
It doesn't matter if they were around when IU won championships. Every single one of them knows the history of IU basketball, and rushing the floor against an unranked opponent is an insult to that history. Sure, they haven't had much to cheer about for the last few years, and they can certainly get excited...in their seats.

Way too much court storming has gone on this year, but this is easily the worst of them. I gained a lot of respect for Kansas State when they didn't rush the court after beating #1 Texas. They believe that their team belongs in the top ten and believe that their team will go on to accomplish more than just beating #1 in January. There is something to be said for acting like you've been there before.

There is something to be said for acting like you've been there before.

You are right and I do see your side. I actually agree in large part with your comments.
I was not defending the "mob mentality" decision to storm the court, just offering some potential reasons as to why they would. The crux of the biscuit is that, while they should act like they have been there before, they haven't.

Top Bottom