Projected B1G Tournament Pairings (projecting remaining games)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
This Big Ten Tournament bracket projects out the remainder of the season with the following results:

Illinois over Indiana
Indiana over Rutgers
Iowa over Nebraska
Maryland over Minnesota
Michigan over Michigan State
Michigan State over Nebraska (tonight)
Minnesota over Purdue (tonight)

Ohio State over Northwestern
Penn State over Illinois
Penn State over Rutgers
Purdue over Northwestern
Wisconsin over Iowa
Wisconsin over Ohio State

Wednesday, March 13 (Weakling Wednesday)
#12 Rutgers (7-13) vs. #13 Nebraska (5-15), 5:30 CT (BTN)
#11 Penn State (7-13) vs. #14 Northwestern (3-17), 8 (BTN)

Thursday, March 14 (2nd Round)
#8 GOPHERS (9-11) vs. #9 Illinois (8-12), 11:30 (BTN)
#5 Maryland (13-7) vs. Rutgers/Nebraska winner, 2 (BTN)
#7 Ohio State (9-11) vs. #10 Indiana (7-13), 6 (BTN)
#6 Iowa (11-9) vs. Penn State/Northwestern winner, 8:30 (BTN)

Friday, March 15 (Quarterfinals)
#1 Michigan (16-4) vs. GOPHERS/Illinois winner, 11:30 (BTN)
#4 Wisconsin (14-6) vs. Maryland/Rutgers/Nebraska winner, 2 (BTN)
#2 Purdue (16-4) vs. Ohio State/Indiana winner, 6 (BTN)
#3 Michigan State (15-5) vs. Iowa/Penn State/Northwestern winner, 8:30 (BTN)

Man, I'd really like another run at Indiana. They are bubbly right now so could be a them or us type of game. Plus I just like that matchup better.

Man, I'd really like another run at Indiana. They are bubbly right now so could be a them or us type of game. Plus I just like that matchup better.

I'm hoping somehow we get Ohio State. Need Buckeyes to lose last two (that includes game @ awful Northwestern), and it'd be mandatory Gophers win 1 of the last 2. Probably not likely, but I'd like our chances of beating OSU for the 1st time than beating IU for the second time.

Sure seems like it's going to be Illinois, though.

I'm hoping somehow we get Ohio State. Need Buckeyes to lose last two (that includes game @ awful Northwestern), and it'd be mandatory Gophers win 1 of the last 2. Probably not likely, but I'd like our chances of beating OSU for the 1st time than beating IU for the second time.

Sure seems like it's going to be Illinois, though.

Fair. I'd like that also. Just don't see Northwestern beating them, or anyone. Isn't Wesson suspended?

I have done numerous generations of the big ten tournament bracket. Basically to avoid Illinois we would need, Indiana to beat them this Thursday. If that happens we have a very good chance at playing Rutgers (would love to get another shot at them) or Indiana (also a good match up).

Yes. As far as I know they haven't announced when he'll return.

Probably when they decide they really need him. My guess is if they wet the bed against the Cats, he will have a major conversion experience from his transgressions and be ready for the game against Wisconsin. Otherwise, he'll wait for the B1G tournament. The Coach K model of suspension.

B1G Tournament Projection (updated with Tuesday results)

Nothing changes after last night's results, as both Gophers and MSU were projected winners. Will update with each day's results.

This Big Ten Tournament bracket projects out the remainder of the season with the following results:

Penn State over Rutgers (tonight)
Ohio State over Northwestern (tonight)
Illinois over Indiana
Indiana over Rutgers
Iowa over Nebraska
Maryland over Minnesota
Michigan over Michigan State
Penn State over Illinois
Purdue over Northwestern
Wisconsin over Iowa

#12 Rutgers (7-13) vs. #13 Nebraska (5-15), 5:30 CT (BTN)
#11 Penn State (7-13) vs. #14 Northwestern (3-17), 8 (BTN)

#8 GOPHERS (9-11) vs. #9 Illinois (8-12), 11:30 (BTN)
#5 Maryland (13-7) vs. Rutgers/Nebraska winner, 2 (BTN)
#7 Ohio State (9-11) vs. #10 Indiana (7-13), 6 (BTN)
#6 Iowa (11-9) vs. Penn State/Northwestern winner, 8:30 (BTN)

#1 Michigan (16-4) vs. GOPHERS/Illinois winner, 11:30 (BTN)
#4 Wisconsin (14-6) vs. Maryland/Rutgers/Nebraska winner, 2 (BTN)
#2 Purdue (16-4) vs. Ohio State/Indiana winner, 6 (BTN)
#3 Michigan State (15-5) vs. Iowa/Penn State/Northwestern winner, 8:30 (BTN)

SS, with Iowa having the worst defense in the league, what do you think the % chance is that the Gophers catch Iowa in the standings before the tournament?

For this to happen:

Gophers have to beat Maryland 30% chance (I'm being generous here)

Iowa must lose @ Wisconsin 80% chance

Iowa must lose @ Nebraska 50% chance (especially if the same refs we had at Neb are working)

We move to the #6 seed based on our head to head win over Iowa, right?

SS, with Iowa having the worst defense in the league, what do you think the % chance is that the Gophers catch Iowa in the standings before the tournament?

For this to happen:

Gophers have to beat Maryland 30% chance (I'm being generous here)

Iowa must lose @ Wisconsin 80% chance

Iowa must lose @ Nebraska 50% chance (especially if the same refs we had at Neb are working)

We move to the #6 seed based on our head to head win over Iowa, right?

It depends on what Ohio State does, as well. But yes, if Gophers and Iowa only two teams tied at 10-10, Gophers get tiebreaker.

So, if Gophers, Iowa, and OSU are all 10-10 does it boil down to best record in common games?

Gophers 1-1 7 seed

OSU 2-1 6 seed

Iowa 1-2 8 seed

I just don't see OSU beating the Badgers without Wesson. So I think they will finish 9-11. Iowa could easily finish 10-10 and if Coffey adds a third 30pt effort to his streak we could see the 6 seed and be much better positioned to face an MSU team with no Nick Ward.

Last edited:

So, if Gophers, Iowa, and OSU are all 10-10 does it boil down to best record in common games?

Gophers 1-1 7 seed

OSU 2-1 6 seed

Iowa 1-2 8 seed

I just don't see OSU beating the Badgers without Wesson. So I think they will finish 9-11. Iowa could easily finish 10-10 and if Coffey adds a third 30pt effort to his streak we could see the 6 seed and be much better positioned to face an MSU team with no Nick Ward.

Yes, head to head among the three tied teams would be the 1st tiebreaker.

For what it's worth, there are whispers Ward might play Saturday vs. Michigan. More likely, I would expect he'll play in Big Ten Tournament.

Last edited:

Revisiting this thread, I am really hoping the Gophers can avoid playing Illinois in their first game. Would love to draw Indiana.

Of course, if the Gophers win on Friday at Maryland then I couldn't care less who they draw as they would be in regardless.

Revisiting this thread, I am really hoping the Gophers can avoid playing Illinois in their first game. Would love to draw Indiana.

Of course, if the Gophers win on Friday at Maryland then I couldn't care less who they draw as they would be in regardless.

I agree/ I have no desire to sweat out selection sunday. Its a lot more fun wondering what seed they'll get rather than if they get a seed

Projected Big Ten Tournament pairings (through Wednesday results)

The Gophers move up a spot in the projections after Ohio State's loss @ Northwestern last night.

This Big Ten Tournament bracket projects out the remainder of the season, with the following results:

Illinois over Indiana (tonight)
Wisconsin over Iowa (tonight)
Indiana over Rutgers
Iowa over Nebraska
Maryland over Minnesota
Michigan State over Michigan
Penn State over Illinois
Purdue over Northwestern

#12 Penn State (7-13) vs. #13 Nebraska (5-15), 5:30 CT (BTN)
#11 Rutgers (7-13) vs. #14 Northwestern (4-16), 8 (BTN)

#8 Illinois (8-12) vs. #9 Ohio State (8-12), 11:30 (BTN)
#5 Maryland (13-7) vs. Penn State/Nebraska winner, 2 (BTN)
#7 GOPHERS (9-11) vs. #10 Indiana (7-13), 6 (BTN)
#6 Iowa (11-9) vs. Rutgers/Northwestern winner, 8:30 (BTN)

#1 Michigan State (16-4) vs. Illinois/Ohio State winner, 11:30 (BTN)
#4 Wisconsin (14-6) vs. Maryland/Penn State/Nebraska winner, 2 (BTN)
#2 Purdue (16-4) vs. GOPHERS/Indiana winner, 6 (BTN)
#3 Michigan (15-5) vs. Iowa/Rutgers/Northwestern winner, 8:30 (BTN)

hmm, I see Indiana beating Illinois tonight. I guess this would drop Illinois into the 7/10 game as our opponent.

Lots of potential movement between 5 and 11 in any case.

Top Bottom