Problem with Divisional Structure

Not fair to compare NFL. GB and NYJ are a lot closer in ability than tOSU and Rutgers are. Many similar examples.
Fine
Pick Ivy League baseball
Same scenario can apply

I was just agreeing that you can pick MLB, college baseball, NFL, NHL, etc and it is all the same. I will admit possibly far fetched at mnplsgoph stated. But may not as much if you look any other college basketball or baseball division.

Nothing wrong with the divisional set-up, except I’d prefer to see an even number of conference games.

It's what you get for selling out to get those 28 TVs in New York City tuned into BTN to watch 4 minutes of Rutgers battling Liberty before they flip back to Fast & Loud.

It's what you get for selling out to get those 28 TVs in New York City tuned into BTN to watch 4 minutes of Rutgers battling Liberty before they flip back to Fast & Loud.
It has been explained before but you might have been asleep. It DOES NOT MATTER how many people in the NY market watch the BTN. They ALL pay for the channel and that large chunk of $$$ goes to schools in the BIG.

I have always had this issue with the divisional structure as it sits in college football.

Lets assume Iowa and Minnesota each win out. Minnesota has a 8-1 conference record, while Iowa is 6-3. However, looking at just games against the West, they both would be 5-1 with Iowa owning the head-to-head win.

Obviously I'm not breaking news with the idea that the Gophers have a favorable schedule this season, and they don't need to apologize for it. But I've always thought it odd to base "division titles" on unbalanced schedules, when it would be just as easy to only use the divisional record.

Kind of like in 2015 when Iowa didn't play Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State during the regular season.

There has always been easier schedules & tougher schedules in the Big Ten. In addition to Iowas '15 season, Wisconsin didn't have to play Ohio State in 1998 or 2006, both years that WI had great records that probably would have had another loss had they played. In 2014, WI had crossover games with Maryland & Rutgers while Minnesota had Ohio State & Michigan (fortunately, MI had a down year for MN).

The key is for programs to take advantage of schedules if they happen to provide an opportunity.

The Gophers are in a better spot in the B1G West. It's tough in the East if you are not Ohio State, Penn State, or Michigan.

I have mixed feelings about the Jug game. But, how often has the Gophers won it in the modern era?

IMHO, the B1G West will get better with the current crop of coaches.

compromise: Division title is based on record within the division - but the cross-over games are the 1st tie-breaker. If (let's say) WI and MN both go 6-1 in the division, but MN is 2-1 in its cross-over games and WI is 1-2, MN wins the division. That provides an incentive to win cross-over games.
But, if MN is 6-1 in the division and WI is 5-2, Gophers win division. cross-over games only count for overall record and placement in the bowl pecking order.

No
No
No
That’s not a compromise and still doesn’t change anything. Now games that “don’t count,” “count”. Just like before.

Every team in every league (just about) plays an unbalanced schedule. Tiebreakers are introduced—head to head, division record—and everyone moves on.

this is a solution looking for a problem

Kind of like in 2015 when Iowa didn't play Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State during the regular season.

There has always been easier schedules & tougher schedules in the Big Ten. In addition to Iowas '15 season, Wisconsin didn't have to play Ohio State in 1998 or 2006, both years that WI had great records that probably would have had another loss had they played. In 2014, WI had crossover games with Maryland & Rutgers while Minnesota had Ohio State & Michigan (fortunately, MI had a down year for MN).

The key is for programs to take advantage of schedules if they happen to provide an opportunity.

2015 Iowa only had to play 8 Big Ten games, but they did also play Iowa State and Pitt in non-conf.

Now with 9 Big Ten games, no West team ever plays Maryland, Indiana, and Rutgers in the same season. Point being, Iowa would’ve had to play one of the four you mention, like we had to play Penn St this year.

Top Bottom