Pro Football Focus has Mafe leading Power 5 in 3rd and 4th down pressures; Senior Bowl notes Otomewo

He's rising. Kiper had him as a sleeper to move into the first round. Should be a good combine guy, and he's produced this season.

Very interesting. I knew he was having a decent year but I didn’t get the impression that he was doing this. Congrats to him!
Yeah, it is kind of odd because our D-Line is playing really really well but individual guys are not truly standing out.

Yeah, it is kind of odd because our D-Line is playing really really well but individual guys are not truly standing out.
Fleck and Rossi have made it clear they have the DEs recognizing pressures with containment are often what is needed rather than attempting a sack which gives up containment.

MJ Anderson had a couple series against Maryland where he really made himself seen by people in my section. But I know what you are saying overall.

MJ Anderson had a couple series against Maryland where he really made himself seen by people in my section. But I know what you are saying overall.
Yep, seems like when a team has a great D-Line you get one or two just absolute studs that dominate the game. But in our case we get plays from Mafe, Big O, Rush, Pinckney, MJ, Martin....it is really cool to see.

The thing that still gets me is that we go from the first 2 games of the year with almost no pass rush of any kind to speak to all of the sudden we have d-lineman in the backfield all game causing problems for the other team. It has been really fun to watch.

He finished out the season maintaining these and he will definitely go high in the draft. Almost perfect size for a rush DE in NFL.

Yep, seems like when a team has a great D-Line you get one or two just absolute studs that dominate the game. But in our case we get plays from Mafe, Big O, Rush, Pinckney, MJ, Martin....it is really cool to see.

The thing that still gets me is that we go from the first 2 games of the year with almost no pass rush of any kind to speak to all of the sudden we have d-lineman in the backfield all game causing problems for the other team. It has been really fun to watch.
I think this new DL rotation strategy took a while to sink-in and the players hadn't bought in fully during those first couple games. They get it now and it shows.

The last 2 games have been against dynamic mobile QBs. I love that they didn't over-pursue on pass rush to greedily chase a sack and instead limited/contained the QB. That kind of pressure doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, but absolutely can shutdown an offense.

Pro scouts see team effort so don't go just on individual stats. NFL teams want same kind of efforts. I think Boye goes at least Round 2 and maybe sneaks into first.

I think this new DL rotation strategy took a while to sink-in and the players hadn't bought in fully during those first couple games. They get it now and it shows.

The last 2 games have been against dynamic mobile QBs. I love that they didn't over-pursue on pass rush to greedily chase a sack and instead limited/contained the QB. That kind of pressure doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, but absolutely can shutdown an offense.
Going to be interesting to see what our D-Line can do against the run of non-mobile QBs coming up on the schedule. The ends won't have to be quite as worried about keeping the QB in the pocket meaning they can really cut it loose and go after him.

Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana are all near the bottom of the league in terms of the number of sacks given up on the season. Hopefully Mafe, Big O, MJ, and Rush can all get in there cause problems.

Fleck and Rossi have made it clear they have the DEs recognizing pressures with containment are often what is needed rather than attempting a sack which gives up containment.
One of those things that are a mystery to me.

As a DL, do you take the bait and drive up the field if the OL guy falls back and maybe get to the QB ... or is it going to open a hole for the RB?

U sacked it Jonny With that post!

The Gophers plat team defense. They rarely break discipline. That is a testimonial to what PJ Fleck has said: Player-led teams win championships.

Top Bottom