Pride on Ice Preview: Gophers Host High-Powered Wolverines for Thursday-Friday Series

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Pride on Ice Preview: Gophers Host High-Powered Wolverines for Thursday-Friday Series
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/616116?referrer_id=388419

Game 30: Minnesota vs. Michigan

Date: Thursday, Feb. 25

Puck Drop: 7:33 p.m. CT

TV: Big Ten Network

Stream: BTN2Go

Radio: 1500 ESPN, Gopher Radio Network

Game 31: Minnesota vs. Michigan

Date: Friday, Feb. 26

Puck Drop: 8:03 p.m. CT

TV: Big Ten Network

Stream: BTN2Go

Radio: 1500 ESPN, Gopher Radio Network

Inside the Matchup

It doesn’t get much more important for a February series than this matchup. The two teams are separated by just one point in the Big Ten with the Gophers holding a 33-32 edge.

Minnesota is right on the NCAA bubble if the season ended today. They’re currently 15 in RPI and could get a big boost by knocking off No. 6 Michigan.

Two of hockey’s most storied programs have quite a close history. The Gophers hold a 135-121-14 all-time advantage.

Minnesota split a two-game series in Ann Arbor early in the Big Ten season.

Storyline Central

It’s been quite a year from Wolverine freshman Kyle Connor. The 2015 first round draft pick is excelling with an incredible 24 goals and 51 points in 28 games. Ryan Lambert of Yahoo Sports makes the case for Connor to win the Hobey Baker.

Justin P. Hicks of the Ann Arbor News takes a look at the importance of this series for the Wolverines.

Nate Wells of SBNation College Hockey has a nice piece on Minnesota’s view of the coach’s challenge.

Quotes

Don Lucia

“This is one of those weekends, with Michigan, that’s a highlight of the season, just because of the tradition Michigan has; they’re always one of the top teams in the country. They have some of the top players in the country as well. We’ve had pretty good success against Michigan over the years, in this building and we’re going to need that to continue.”

On the importance of beating a highly-ranked Michigan team:

“The first thing we’re worried about right now, obviously, is fighting for the Big Ten. That’s obviously a goal when the year begins. We’re one point up and the major goal is to try and be ahead of Michigan when the two-game set ends. Obviously they’re playing really well. We’re the last team to beat them in regulation.

"They’ve only lost one game since we beat them in December. It’s going to take a great effort on our part. We’re going to have to play a really good team-defensive game, manage the puck well, and not put ourselves in odd-numbered situations because we don’t have the offensive firepower that Michigan does. We’re going to have to play really well without the puck.”

Justin Kloos

On what he has to do when going against Michigan’s top line

“I just can’t overthink it. If I become too defensive that makes me a little bit ineffective on the way I play. If I try to focus on too much individually it usually doesn’t turn out too well for the team as a whole. I think we’re going to have to keep a third forward high when we’re in the offensive zone to make sure we don’t give up too many odd-man rushes. There’s not one thing we’re focusing on but we’re just going to have to battle a little extra when they’re out there.”

Thank you Big Ten for these stupid Thursday-Friday series.

Awful game. Looks like basketball gets some of the venom taken away for here

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

awful atmosphere.

awful crowd.

awful performance.

I picked a not so good game for my first Gopher hockey game of the year. Need to bounce back tomorrow night.

We were among the hundreds who hung around for the two Gopher goals. Collins' whiff and give away for the first Wolverine goal sort of set the tone for the evening. Plenty of energy left for tomorrow.

team looked like absolute shiiiiiite tonight. need a spark tomorrow or the reg season ship is Michigan's

We were among the hundreds who hung around for the two Gopher goals. Collins' whiff and give away for the first Wolverine goal sort of set the tone for the evening. Plenty of energy left for tomorrow.

colllin's play. so so brutal. one of the worst i've seen

colllin's play. so so brutal. one of the worst i've seen

Collins is horrible, I don't know how he makes it into the game. Sadek is better than him at both ends of the ice. My biggest complaint about Lucia over the years is that he seems to play the wrong d-men.

What bugged me most was that following the turnover Collins became a spectator. Motte got time to dance around with the puck in front of the net before burying it for a goal.

After, I think, the fourth Michigan goal some fans near the Gopher bench literally threw in the towel (well perhaps it was a flag or banner) but they tossed it over the glass and onto the ice requiring a brief stoppage. Then, after hurling some invective toward the Gopher bench, they turned and exited up the stairs.

What bugged me most was that following the turnover Collins became a spectator. Motte got time to dance around with the puck in front of the net before burying it for a goal.

After, I think, the fourth Michigan goal some fans near the Gopher bench literally threw in the towel (well perhaps it was a flag or banner) but they tossed it over the glass and onto the ice requiring a brief stoppage. Then, after hurling some invective toward the Gopher bench, they turned and exited up the stairs.

Not quite accurate that he became a spectator. Because he actually scored the goal for Motte if you watch it since it deflects in off his stick. But yeah. He can't make that play and then not intervene at all.

Not quite accurate that he became a spectator. Because he actually scored the goal for Motte if you watch it since it deflects in off his stick. But yeah. He can't make that play and then not intervene at all.

You're right, I just took a look at the replay and it was Kile that got credit for the goal; I don't know why I thought it was Motte.

For the first two periods of the game I actually thought we looked pretty good. Kloos is EXCITING. Bristedt is very, very good IMO. A couple of fortunate plays/bounces for Michigan is what gave them the 2-0 lead. Yes, the Wolverines had the better of the play, but they're actually a pretty darn good team so let's give them some credit. We even had some fight left in us until it went to 3-0, then it looked like we packed it in. I turned the channel and flung the remote at 5-0.

The Gophers better figure this out quick because the clock is ticking. Too bad there isn't someone that can join the team like Amanda Kessel just did for the women's team. Maybe we can get Van Wilder to give the boys the pregame pep-talk.

Top Bottom