Presbyterian football coach Kevin Kelley, known for never punting, is leaving program after one season

Unsure where he is going next…

I think his philosophy, as radical as it is, is pretty fun.
There are a couple free documentaries on Youtube following those teams (in the QB1 type format).

Not only does he never punt. They onside kick after every kickoff. I believe they go for 2. In the show, they were so devoted to not punting that they went for it on like their own 10 on a 4th and 20. They are NOT punting the ball.

A lot of it seems really cool, some of it seemed overly devoted to the schtick.

Heard the interview by him before the St. Thomas game. He talked about all the disadvantages of being a Division 1 FCS school that was the smallest of its kind and did not have any scholarships to offer. Essentially said "kids have to pay $50,000 to prove they are Division 1 talent." He says "it is to hard of a sell." His words did not inspire confidence that he was enjoying what he was doing. Losing a lot is not fun.

I'd love to see him get a shot at say, a MAC school. There has to be a program out there that thinks 'what do we have to lose by trying this out?' I would absolutely tune in to these games.

Heard the interview by him before the St. Thomas game. He talked about all the disadvantages of being a Division 1 FCS school that was the smallest of its kind and did not have any scholarships to offer. Essentially said "kids have to pay $50,000 to prove they are Division 1 talent." He says "it is to hard of a sell." His words did not inspire confidence that he was enjoying what he was doing. Losing a lot is not fun.
Yeah, I am sure that's difficult but he was playing against other schools in the exact same position (at least in terms of not getting scholarships). It is a tiny school though, like 1,000 kids.

I'd love to see him get a shot at say, a MAC school. There has to be a program out there that thinks 'what do we have to lose by trying this out?' I would absolutely tune in to these games.
Certainly a school like SW MN State would be interesting. We couldn't watch them though.

Surprising tidbit for fans of the Wire, the actor that plays Clay Davis is an alum of SW MN State.

Carleton almost beat St. Thomas. His team would have been in the bottom 1/3 of the MIAC.

Last edited:

Carleton almost beat St. Thomas. His team would have been in the bottom 1/3 of the MIAC.
. . . about what are you talking? When in St. Thomas's current 22 game win streak against Carleton did they almost lose -- and what bearing does that have on this thread.

. . . about what are you talking? When in St. Thomas's current 22 game win streak against Carleton did they almost lose -- and what bearing does that have on this thread.
The last two games against Carleton the scores were 68-0 and 63-15. Those are close games for Tommy Kowalkowski

I'm not trying to attack you on here, but I'm sure your kid would appreciate it if you stopped posting nonsense online.

The U was full of idiots when they didn't offer him a scholarship. Now, obviously, you have beef with his current (former?) coach and team and you're making it obvious online.

Do your thing, but I know I would have been petrified if I were his age and my dad was doing this stuff.

They went 2-9 and people think this style will work at a higher level?

They went 2-9 and people think this style will work at a higher level?
The guy won a ton of state high school titles. I just can't imagine that Presbyterian can get much of anything for football talent.

Top Bottom