Prediction. Oturu goes first in 2nd to Dallas

Correct. Take the millions. He can make a roster and $3.9 over 4 years.
Not sure about your numbers? Anybody could but 2nd round likely gets NBA minimum of $560,000 if they make the roster. But that was last year...salary cap likely less this year with no fans all season.
Had he stayed at his rate of improvement I believe he would have definitely gone first round next year. That is guaranteed at your numbers at end of the round minimum. If he went Top 10 with team success it would have been an incomparable amount guaranteed vs possible.
So, I believe he should have stayed.

Not sure about your numbers? Anybody could but 2nd round likely gets NBA minimum of $560,000 if they make the roster. But that was last year...salary cap likely less this year with no fans all season.
Had he stayed at his rate of improvement I believe he would have definitely gone first round next year. That is guaranteed at your numbers at end of the round minimum. If he went Top 10 with team success it would have been an incomparable amount guaranteed vs possible.
The first selection of the 2nd round last year (Nicolas Claxton) signed a 3-year $4.2 million deal. So, not a stretch to assume Oturu gets something similar if drafted in the same spot this year.

The first selection of the 2nd round last year (Nicolas Claxton) signed a 3-year $4.2 million deal. So, not a stretch to assume Oturu gets something similar if drafted in the same spot this year.

Yes, and a second rounder can actually get a second contract a year quicker than a first rounder. I believe there is one less team option year.

That might have been likely 20 years ago but staying in school doesn't improve one's draft status like it used to.

That might have been likely 20 years ago but staying in school doesn't improve one's draft status like it used to.
It still works both ways, if you look long term. For every freshman that jumps to the NBA and makes it, there are many that try it and never get drafted and end up out of BB altogether. Some of those would have developed with another year or two of college and had a better chance to make the pros.
I wish I would have saved an article (I can no longer even remember the author) analyzing the NBAs fixation on drafting underage potential instead of more proven developed talent. It showed that, if a team doesn’t get the rare KG or Labron, the chances of a draftee succeeding are strongly correlated with proven success at the college level.

I think it still depends on the player. There are so many factors. There many cases I’d agree with you. I just don’t think Oturu is one that does.
Miles Bridges fits your premise.

Staying in school may have hurt his draft stock if he had another year with less than 1 3 made per game, no handles, and no evidence of the ability to guard a person who can go to the rim off the dribble

I think he is a second round pick and I think he was smart to leave.

the only way staying was smart is if the nba next year decides to go back to a version of itself that includes a non stretch center

If we are solely looking at a draft stock thing, I doubt he'd get any higher. Most bigs stock tops out at their sophomore level. Some rare cases you see a jump. Also we need to consider and remember there is a loaded draft class coming up at some point when the one and done rule is dropped by the NBA.

He will likely be more positively impactful in the NBA than Humphries who was a starter at one time and averaged over 10 points a game in at least one season out of 10 or so (as long as he does not marry a Kardashian). Oturu will be the best UofM rep in the league since Bobby J, which has got to have an effect on recruiting, so everyone wins.

He will likely be more positively impactful in the NBA than Humphries who was a starter at one time and averaged over 10 points a game in at least one season out of 10 or so (as long as he does not marry a Kardashian). Oturu will be the best UofM rep in the league since Bobby J, which has got to have an effect on recruiting, so everyone wins.

Is there still one available?

Article on top 50 prospects in "The Athletic." Supposedly it's a compilation of 5 NBA scouts' opinions on each player. Here's their take on DO. Just about everybody's work ethic and motor was questioned. Little unfair to take about 20 years of Gopher basketball futility and pin it on Daniel though it looks like he might go in the first round.

Daniel Oturu, 6-9 sophomore center, Minnesota. “He showcased the ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter, but he can also play with his back to the basket and finish at the rim. He’s worked his way into the first round. I don’t know if people realize he’s got a chance to be a legitimate NBA 3-point shooter. A little silly, a little young, but you hope with time he matures. Really nice kid. Talented offensive guy at his size. My concerns are with his work ethic and motor. Doesn’t play hard all the time. I’m not sure he’s a winner.”

Article on top 50 prospects in "The Athletic." Supposedly it's a compilation of 5 NBA scouts' opinions on each player. Here's their take on DO. Just about everybody's work ethic and motor was questioned. Little unfair to take about 20 years of Gopher basketball futility and pin it on Daniel though it looks like he might go in the first round.

Daniel Oturu, 6-9 sophomore center, Minnesota. “He showcased the ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter, but he can also play with his back to the basket and finish at the rim. He’s worked his way into the first round. I don’t know if people realize he’s got a chance to be a legitimate NBA 3-point shooter. A little silly, a little young, but you hope with time he matures. Really nice kid. Talented offensive guy at his size. My concerns are with his work ethic and motor. Doesn’t play hard all the time. I’m not sure he’s a winner.”
Interesting analysis regarding motor and work ethic. Have to admit we saw a few examples of that in isolated incidents in some of last year's games. Youth may indeed be a bit of a problem in those areas for Oturu. On the other hand, seems like we've seen people with questionable motors, (often a by-product of being better, or at least competitive with your competition with-out really trying) realize that they've reached a point where they really need to extend themselves to compete.

Some are able to find those extra gears and willingness to keep up (depending on maturity and pride), others don't have the heart and pack it in. We've also seen some guys who figure it out after a couple of years of growing up, though it can be too late at that point. Hoping Oturu is a guy that figures out "quickly" how difficult it is just to keep up with the pro's, let alone excel and stand out. Based on his growth from Frosh to Soph, I think he can. Would be awesome if he gets his will to match his talent at the NBA level.

Pretty decent intel....33rd pick to the T-Wolves and onto Tommie Thibs and the Knicks and onto the Clippers.. Very near first pick of 2nd round but nobody predicted a 3 teams in 30 seconds scenario.

Last edited:

Top Bottom