Practice Facility

Reaction score
Since discussion about a practice facility has risen again in another thread, I thought it deserving of its own thread ...once again. While the "bells and whistles" are nice and "we must keep up with the Jones" is necessary to stay competitive with the better programs, there are more aspects of the practice facility that are being overlooked. Here are but three. First, it allows every aspect of the program to be under the same roof: athletics director's offices, coaches and their staffs, compliance, media relations, marketing, publications and business offices are some of the offices....think compliance as the key word here. Secondly, having separate courts for the men and the ladies eliminates scheduling conflicts for practice time and opens the door for more "open" gym time. Same goes for weight rooms and video facilities. Thirdly, there are many more baskets for shooting practice:free throws in particular. More free throws per practice time as the "line" to shoot doesn't eat into practice time. Same goes for individual instruction...the use of a basket. Lastly, by no means in order of importance, "study hall" facilities with all the necessities: oversight, computers, tutors, scheduling, etc. All under one roof.

Many practice facilities have been built mostly with private donations. Even the big money people have taken a hit lately, but I hope there are enough deep pockets in Minnesota to build a practice facility. If some of the "rural" programs can do it, why can't the "big city"?

We already have one called the Bierman Building, there is a nice court in there and what about the pavillion we have a court there too.

A practice facility does not cost that much were the big donors can't afford it.

If we are going to get a practice facility we may as well get a new barn and have the practice facility below like the TWolves have, and maybe a couple of classrooms because they are more likely to get money if Academics are being used in the facility.

We already have one called the Bierman Building, there is a nice court in there and what about the pavillion we have a court there too.

A practice facility does not cost that much were the big donors can't afford it.

If we are going to get a practice facility we may as well get a new barn and have the practice facility below like the TWolves have, and maybe a couple of classrooms because they are more likely to get money if Academics are being used in the facility.

New barn?!?!?!?! NO WAY.

Build the practice facility a couple blocks away or on a surface lot where it can be part of a parking facitlity. Increase parking spaces and get a practice facility, but leave the barn alone.

Even though it may not be popular but I think we should convert the Ridder Arena, the womens hockey team does not need their own facility and that project was railroaded through anyways by Chris Voelz before she left.

Even though it may not be popular but I think we should convert the Ridder Arena, the womens hockey team does not need their own facility and that project was railroaded through anyways by Chris Voelz before she left.

No, The U need 2 sheets of ice. Both for practice and for intramurals.

No, The U need 2 sheets of ice. Both for practice and for intramurals.

Especially because it's great to have the two sizes of ice sheet to practice on for both teams. Ridder stays, it is a great asset for the athletic department.

Ridder Arena = Big L's broomball glory

It's got to stay. I'm sure there are other places to build the facility.

We could move the practice facility into the new football locker room...it's big enough. : )

After reviewing the campus maps, tell me what you think of these places:

-Next(East) to the Softball Stadium
-One of the parking lots North of Mariucci (could conflict with Fair parking needs)

I think they should build a new Olympic Sports building north of Mariucci. That way the biggest court you would need would be volleyball and could really get the fans in close. Then you turn the Sports Pavilion into the Basketball Practice Facility. The advantage to that is that Tubby and Pam could both really large office suites. Both teams could 1 have insanely amazing lockerrooms instead of 2 very nice lockerrooms. The basketball team could be housed in one building. While there aren't aren't 2 seperate practice courts in this option you would have one in Williams and one in the new Practice Facility. I think everyone wins under this option.

I'm dating myself here, but what about renovating Cooke Hall? Who uses that now? Whoever that is, maybe they could get relocated elsewhere.

I don't think taking away any more surface lots is an option. With the football stadium, all those on campus surface lots are more important than they ever were for revenue and tailgating.

I don't think taking away any more surface lots is an option. With the football stadium, all those on campus surface lots are more important than they ever were for revenue and tailgating.

No need to take away a surface lot and lose revenue. I am not sure who did this, but I think it was an ACC school, converted a surface lot into a parking ramp and put the BB practice facility and offices under and adjacent to the lot.

Actually added spaces and revenue which help offset the costs of the new facitity.

We have several lots near Williams that could be converted this way and offer increased recruiting value and add revenue with added parking.

Its not like more parking year round plus on game days/nights isn't needed...and a practice facility or lack there of will limit our program in 2-3 years. Want to be in contention in the Big Ten and for final fours year after year...facilities matter.

Don't think for a minute that at some point Tubby will be wooed by a program that his building a 15 million dollar facility and aren't located in the tundra...

After reviewing the campus maps, tell me what you think of these places:

-Next(East) to the Softball Stadium
-One of the parking lots North of Mariucci (could conflict with Fair parking needs)

Klaeber Court (16th & 4th St.

Top Bottom