Practice and game roster limits need to be set to 75

Some guy

Reaction score
In the new era of NIL, strict roster limits for PRACTICE need to be set.
Why does a kid turn down a walk on at Alabama? To be a scholarship player at another school.

private companies can now pay the way of walk ons.

Roster size limits are the only way you can have NIL and some semblance of parity

In the new era of NIL, strict roster limits for PRACTICE need to be set.
Why does a kid turn down a walk on at Alabama? To be a scholarship player at another school.

private companies can now pay the way of walk ons.

Roster size limits are the only way you can have NIL and some semblance of parity
So you want to eliminate 30-50 players from most rosters (our 2019 roster had 110 guys on it).

Lot to be figured out with this whole NIL thing but I think you are overestimating the amount of money companies are going to throw at rank and file players that will provide them zero benefit.

Some players will cash in huge, others will benefit a little and the vast majority will probably see next to nothing from the change. Players are still going to want to play and many aren't going to want to just go ride the bench at a place that offers them more NIL money than somewhere else. I highly doubt we are going to be discussing life changing sums of money going to the vast majority of these college football players.

So you want to eliminate 30-50 players from most rosters (our 2019 roster had 110 guys on it).

Lot to be figured out with this whole NIL thing but I think you are overestimating the amount of money companies are going to throw at rank and file players that will provide them zero benefit.

Some players will cash in huge, others will benefit a little and the vast majority will probably see next to nothing from the change. Players are still going to want to play and many aren't going to want to just go ride the bench at a place that offers them more NIL money than somewhere else. I highly doubt we are going to be discussing life changing sums of money going to the vast majority of these college football players.
One guy just paid for 36 walk ons at BYU to have a full ride.

scholarship limits exist for competition fairness. Most schools won’t have a guy willing to do that. Rules should be in place. Maybe the correct number is higher than 75. Someone might take a free ride plus 12k a year to go to one school over a full ride at another school

It is not permitted under NIL to pay someone to attend a specific school. These players were not incented...oh, who are we kidding. We know exactly where this is going to go.

One guy just paid for 36 walk ons at BYU to have a full ride.

scholarship limits exist for competition fairness. Most schools won’t have a guy willing to do that. Rules should be in place. Maybe the correct number is higher than 75. Someone might take a free ride plus 12k a year to go to one school over a full ride at another school
It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does with situations like this because it is basically like having 36 additional scholarships, assuming of course the company plans to keep doing this every year. That would certainly get a little dicey.

It will also be interesting to see just how much money companies are willing to put towards college athletes as things settle in. Right now it is going to be pretty crazy because it is so new, similar to how the transfer portal has been way more active than it most likely will be once things settle back down in a year or so. Once we get past this initial wave we will then find out just how much companies are willing to shell out for next to no benefit to them. Because outside of maybe generating some good will towards your brand, paying for a walk on to go to school isn't going to bring much value to your company.

It is what it is. I am sure Fleck is actively looking for ways to get funds to his players as well.

Agree with the spirit of the OP.

You simply amend it like this:
- 75 roster max to any player that receives any amount of athletic scholarship or NIL payment
- 30 additional roster spots max for players who receive no form of money other than official academic aid from the school/FAFSA

That gets you back to I believe the current roster max of 105 (for fall camp). Do you really need more than 105 bodies at practice? Even to run scout teams? I doubt it.

Another thing to consider, BYU tuition is on the cheaper end of the spectrum. ~$6,000 a semester for non-church members, ~$3,000 for church members.

Another thing to consider, BYU tuition is on the cheaper end of the spectrum. ~$6,000 a semester for non-church members, ~$3,000 for church members.
True. But there are other schools out there that are reasonably cheap with big donors.

Scholarship limits were put in place to level playing field. NIL renders scholarship limits pretty useless

Not necessarily: more long term than short term: but yes…to have a playing field somewhat level with NIL you have to have practice and game roster size limits. Practice limit is more important than game limit to me

BYU is a sleeper school under NIL. They have an entire church and system of associated businesses that can back it. Ever seen the LDS temple in Salt Lake or Los Angeles or another major city? Lot of cash there to support the church's athletic program.

BYU is a sleeper school under NIL. They have an entire church and system of associated businesses that can back it. Ever seen the LDS temple in Salt Lake or Los Angeles or another major city? Lot of cash there to support the church's athletic program.
Agree.

BYU is a sleeper school under NIL. They have an entire church and system of associated businesses that can back it.
Yeah, but on the other hand: what non-Mormon would ever play for that school?? No alcohol, no drugs, no sex. You have to be a stone-cold sober Mormon from birth, to accept that in the first place.

They (the church leadership) probably only want Mormons on the team.

Top Bottom