PPD: Gopher Season May Not be Over

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

John Shipley:

Mar. 10—The Minnesota women's basketball team might have more games to play.

Although knocked out of the Big Ten Conference tournament with a losing overall record last week, the Gophers might be an attractive team for the Women's National Invitation Tournament, which will announce its field Sunday night.

Minnesota has officially entered its name for consideration.
Messages to WNIT director Jared Rudiger and the tournament's spokesperson were not returned, and Gophers coach Lindsay Whalen declined to comment.

I think we are all but guaranteed to make the WNIT.. A big name from a big conference with a hall of fame coach and one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country. yea, the WNIT likes story lines.

You have to wonder with Nia Clouden already announcing that she is going to the WNBA if MSU maybe wrapped up their season? They had another injury filled season and just might want to shut it down.

John Shipley:

Messages to WNIT director Jared Rudiger and the tournament's spokesperson were not returned, and Gophers coach Lindsay Whalen declined to comment.
JG talked about this on Mike Grimm's Go Gopher podcast yesterday so it is definitely more than just a rumor.

Minnesota is one of 2 teams under .500 to get in. Looks like Northwestern and Michigan St passed on the nit.

Not surprised that MSU and NW passed on the bids.I’m guessing due to Clouden declaring for the WNBA and assuming Burton from NW is declaring next after not getting a NCAA bid. Why risk injury just before the draft? Hope the Gophers do well, great opportunity to keep getting experience.

Not surprised that MSU and NW passed on the bids.I’m guessing due to Clouden declaring for the WNBA and assuming Burton from NW is declaring next after not getting a NCAA bid. Why risk injury just before the draft? Hope the Gophers do well, great opportunity to keep getting experience.
and now watch us get South Dakota State in Brookings.. haha

but fun for the seniors to get one more game at least..

Our WNIT record from the Media Guide:

Ball State 0-1, Cincinnati 0-1, Green Bay 1-0, Illinois-Chicago 1-0, Milwaukee 1-0, Northern Iowa 1-0, SMU 1-0, South Dakota 0-1, South Dakota State 0-1, Western Kentucky 0-1, Total 5-5

and now watch us get South Dakota State in Brookings.. haha

but fun for the seniors to get one more game at least..
With the girls state tourney here this week, it probably will be a road game and the nit loves these regional matchups so a game like that would make alot of sense.

With the girls state tourney here this week, it probably will be a road game and the nit loves these regional matchups so a game like that would make alot of sense.
Green Bay
Marquette
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State..

would be my top picks if they do their normal regional match ups

I think it was more a matter of NW being disappointed not making the NCAA since they were on the bubble. Not sure if MSU felt the same, but the concept of the whole team avoiding playing more games because you’re scared that one player might get hurt seems a bit silly to me. Just don’t play her if she’s that worried about it.

I think it was more a matter of NW being disappointed not making the NCAA since they were on the bubble. Not sure if MSU felt the same, but the concept of the whole team avoiding playing more games because you’re scared that one player might get hurt seems a bit silly to me. Just don’t play her if she’s that worried about it.
MSU I understand they just didnt have many players left at the end of the season. NW had a pretty young team around Burton so more games you'd think would be important to them.

MSU I understand they just didnt have many players left at the end of the season. NW had a pretty young team around Burton so more games you'd think would be important to them.
I thin both opted out because of Clouden announcing she is headed to the draft and didnt want to risk an injury, same could be said about Burton.

Top Bottom