PP: Gophers men’s basketball will rely on big men Dawson Garcia and Pharrell Payne this season

BleedGopher

Reaction score

All these papers have darn paywalls now.

“Especially when we go to the big lineup….”??
What other line up would there be?!
Those two have to see over 30 minutes a game.
Isaiah Ihnen (6-10) at the 3, instead of JOJ (6-7) or Christie (6-6) is the BIG LINEUP!

Isaiah Ihnen (6-10) at the 3, instead of JOJ (6-7) or Christie (6-6) is the BIG LINEUP!
So, what is the change with Garcia and Payne? If they are out there in the big lineup, small lineup? They lean on each other ‘more’ in the big lineup?
(I did not read the article. Maybe I’m missing information.)

Last edited:

So, what is the change with Garcia and Payne? If they are out there in the big lineup, small lineup? They lean on each other ‘more’ in the big lineup?
With Ihnen at the three, Garcia would be more of an outside shooting threat, and less of rebounder, rim protector and low post-up offensive player.

With Ihnen at the three, Garcia would be more of an outside shooting threat, and less of rebounder, rim protector and low post-up offensive player.
And with Ihnen at the 3, Garcia and Payne can play screen and pop leaving Ihnen to go to the basket to offensive rebound.

It's a shame that Dennis Evans isn't in this conversation... anyways. Louisville had it's Red/White scrimmage last night (10/11 Wed.), Dennis ended up with 12 points (6-7fg...5 dunks and a layup), 5 blocked shots. Not a lot of footage of him #11 in red. https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-...cle_3f41b4ae-68a5-11ee-b3ac-4fb66603ca4d.html "
2. The Potential of Evans

At 7 feet, 1 inch tall, Evans is 3 inches bigger than his tallest teammate, Brandon Huntley-Hatfield. But there are four Cardinals who weigh more than Evans, who is listed at 215 pounds. His legs look like the legs of a 150-pounder.

I mention that because Evans has work to do in the weight room and in conditioning drills. Payne mentioned that the Cards' staff must help him get strong in his ankles, knees and hips.

That might take another year or even two.
But Evans appeared to have the skills to help this team this season. He's a big guy who plays like he wants to be a big guy. He ran the floor and worked to establish position near the basket on both ends.

He blocked five shots and likely altered the arc of at least five more. Defense matters to Evans.

He attempted seven shots and made all but one. The first five were dunks, and the sixth was a layup. His second flush was a reverse over his head with his back to the basket. There was nobody on the Cardinals who could make shots like that last season.

With experience and added strength, Evans looked like a guy who will impact games this season, even if he is a bench guy who plays limited minutes. It's been a few minutes since Louisville had a guy with his skill set.

"Dennis changes so much," Clark said. "Five blocks, you guys are going to see that all season. I think he should average that.

"But having Dennis under the basket (on defense), I mean l like to attack downhill but I've got to think (about that) even throwing lobs."

Last edited:

Top Bottom