PP Blog, More with Claeys

The "lack of depth" comment keeps on raising iys ugly head. I wonder what positions the staff feels comfortable with depth wise? My take is"
QB-NO
RB-OK
OL-Kinda OK
TE-OK
WR-NO
DT-OK
DE-NO
LB-OK
CB-NO
S-NO
FG-OK
Punt-NO

There are certain players who need to step up. Its starts in the offensive line. There is not one projected starter who has played anywhere near what they can or what we need. That includes Olson, Bunders, Wynn, and Orton. Gjere if cleared to play, needs to be the animal on the right side. He needs to justify the hype when he was recruited. All of the above have had nearly 9 months with Coach Klein. They have size, experience, they need to wantta.

The defensive line as well. Two highly recruited players have taken a spectator approach. Anthony Jacobs and Rasheed Hageman. Neither has reached anywhere near their potential. They and they alone are responsible. While Coach Kill will say no one is entitled to anything, but the unforgivable thing is not even reaching your potenial.

I was thrilled when Beal signed. Finally a highly recruited MLB. He had to sit out a year, but he also had all the time in world to hit the weight room, condition, review film. If he is not a factor in the defense, another highly recruited bust.

Secondary? What ever happened to Michael Carter? Is he actually backpeddling through his career?

The point I am trying to make is that there is untapped talent on the roster.

The "lack of depth" comment keeps on raising iys ugly head. I wonder what positions the staff feels comfortable with depth wise? My take is"
QB-NO
RB-OK
OL-Kinda OK
TE-OK
WR-NO
DT-OK
DE-NO
LB-OK
CB-NO
S-NO
FG-OK
Punt-NO

The depth thing is making better sense to me now. He runs practices where no one sits around at all. They want three huddles going at all times and if you don't have the depth, you can't get quality reps. This will limit the number of the kids being able to get on film and reps. We'll know what depth they have if any significant injuries occur.
Lack of depth at WR and DB is going to really hinder the QB's on this team this year.

Maybe this is nit-picking, but is there a difference between short term depth and long-term depth.

For example, I worry about our offensive line depth in the short-term. We've got a lot of young talent I'm not convinced is ready to step in this season to help if some of the older guys go down. In the long-term I think we're good in that regard.

Were depth is critical in defensive line. With anywhere from 60 to 80 snaps per game, rotation is critical. Its one reason why our pass rush sucked at crunch time. Quality depth at DT, DE, and Linebacker allow substition without losing anything. As the season wears on without that depth, 80 snaps times 12 games is 960 snaps.

Top Bottom