PP: After slow start, Alihan Demir emerging as Gophers’ third scoring option

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

At 6-foot-9, Demir was in the starting lineup at the outset but had a combined six points on 2-for-8 shooting, six rebounds, three turnovers and no assists in losses to Oklahoma and Butler in November. He then came off the bench in the next game against Utah and made just 4 of 16 shots.

“He was really frustrated early,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday. “He’s like, “I don’t know what my role is.’ ”

Demir is now averaging 8.2 points and 5.0 rebounds in 15 starts across 16 games. He has shot 44 percent from the field, 81 percent from the free-throw line and 36 percent from 3-point range.

“He is quietly playing terrific basketball,” Pitino said.

Go Gophers!!

His play was amazing against Michigan. If you haven’t watched that game, please do so, if only to see what Alihan did in that game. Early in the season, it seemed to me that Demir was only filling space in a spot where we just didn’t have anyone to play. That had completely changed. His confidence seems to be growing each game, and he is proving to be a legitimate power forward on this team. He has good post moves, good touch, good at the free throw line, works hard, and is a team player. He is not athletic, but I’ll take him!

Top Bottom