Potential New Tournament in Las Vegas in Late March (would include the top 16 teams from the Big East, Big 10, Big 12 that don't make NCAA Tournament)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Seth Davis:

Fox Sports is in negotiations with several power conferences to hold a postseason men’s basketball tournament in Las Vegas featuring teams that did not qualify for the NCAA tournament, multiple sources told The Messenger.

Discussions are ongoing, but the current vision is for the event to include 16 teams that would play at T-Mobile Arena during the final week of March following the NCAA tournament’s Elite Eight games. If the tournament happens, Fox plans to encourage its corporate partners to set up Name, Image and Likeness deals for players who are competing; the network will not be able to pay players directly due to NCAA rules.

Under terms of the proposed arrangement, the top 16 teams in the Big 12, Big East and Big Ten that did not qualify for the NCAA tournament — as ranked by the NET — would be required to play in the Fox event even if they are invited to the NIT. Those three leagues have rights deals with Fox. The network also has a rights agreement with the Pac-12, but it is unclear whether that league would be added due to complications arising from the Pac-12’s impending realignment defections.

Discussions about this new postseason tournament began during the 2022-23 season and have been led by Fox Sports’ executive vice president Jordan Bazant, who joined the network in early 2022 after spending the previous six years as the co-head of WME Sports. Bazant hosted a Zoom call over the summer with power conference commissioners and staff members, including those from the ACC and SEC, but sources said those efforts stalled when newly hired NCAA president Charlie Baker asked the commissioners to back away from Fox’s proposal. The idea was revived in the last few weeks around Bazant’s refashioned proposal to create an event that includes only teams from the Big 12, Big East and Big Ten.

One of the appeals of the Fox tournament is that it would take place in one city. Under the current NIT format, all games are played at campus sites until the semifinals and final, which were held last season in Las Vegas for the first time. “We like the idea of it, although there are some details that need to be ironed out,” one league source told The Messenger. “This would create more postseason opportunities in men’s basketball, and it would also open up more spots for mid-major schools to play in the NIT.”

Go Gophers!!

After the NIT was revamped and run by the NCAA with a selection process, there is the potential for power conference teams to play on road against mid-major teams that otherwise aren't getting to play those teams at home. I think I'd rather watch NIT games like that than the 10th and 11th place teams from these conferences square off on a neutral court (albeit Las Vegas).

After the NIT was revamped and run by the NCAA with a selection process, there is the potential for power conference teams to play on road against mid-major teams that otherwise aren't getting to play those teams at home. I think I'd rather watch NIT games like that than the 10th and 11th place teams from these conferences square off on a neutral court (albeit Las Vegas).
Bingo.

I'll take a hard pass.

ah, the joys of college sports.

where the TV networks can essentially tell the NCAA to go bleep itself, because the networks put up all the money and have the real power.

seriously, if the Fox tournament happens, the Gophers could finish 10th in the B1G and get an NIT invitation. (if they don't make the Fox tourney.......)

Unless this replaces/merges with the NIT, please no. We don't need more meaningless post-season tournaments.

if we play in this will we put up a sweet 16 banner?

Very skeptical they'll pull this off.

So essentially teams eliminated Wednesday or Thursday in their conference tournament are going to sit around and wait to play for two-and-a-half weeks? Not seeing it.

Very skeptical they'll pull this off.

So essentially teams eliminated Wednesday or Thursday in their conference tournament are going to sit around and wait to play for two-and-a-half weeks? Not seeing it.
Coaches have way too much work to do in the portal if their teams are that bad.

Sounds like Fox would pressure them because of TV contract but if it’s not there now, no one is jumping at it.

I wish there was someone making decisions for the best of the sport. College basketball is slowly getting destroyed by those that don't care about it at all.
Mishandling this anymore (fired coach lawsuit) could end Coyle’s career at this level.

I think some folks missed this bit:

Under terms of the proposed arrangement, the top 16 teams in the Big 12, Big East and Big Ten that did not qualify for the NCAA tournament — as ranked by the NET — would be required to play in the Fox event even if they are invited to the NIT. Those three leagues have rights deals with Fox.

I think it's a fun idea and it would only add to a few really fun weekends in Vegas for March Madness.

Barely missing the tournament but going to Vegas to watch March Madness and the Gophers? Sign me up.

Maybe I should be hoping for the bottom 16 teams in a tournament in Loughlin.

I think it's a fun idea and it would only add to a few really fun weekends in Vegas for March Madness.

Barely missing the tournament but going to Vegas to watch March Madness and the Gophers? Sign me up.

Maybe I should be hoping for the bottom 16 teams in a tournament in Loughlin.
How about us? There needs to be a cellar dwellers cup and it should take place at Buffalo Bill's in Primm.

goldengophers said:
How about us? There needs to be a cellar dwellers cup and it should take place at Buffalo Bill's in Primm.

Ooooo . . . some state minimum blackjack and Gopher bball. I'm all in.

Top Bottom