Potential MN Grown QB's

How the hell did Jim Paulsen compile that list?

You’d think the state would produce at least a single FCS level talent every other year at least. Seems more like every five or more.

See what big schools have underclassmen playing QB and assume they are D1 material.
Seems like it’

One kid only played due to injury and was the reason his team didn’t advance as far as the talent of the rest of the roster.

at least they mentioned two players from schools that are outside the Metro area. Usually, the Strib only pays attention to HS sports that take place in and around the 494-694 loop.

Feeney's dad has allowed his kids much opportunity, similar to Bauman's dad in Buffalo. Moore Head has 6A numbers, while playing schools like Tech and Sartell, who have won 1 game in three years. Playing his Freshman son instead of 200 pound Senior. His older brother is a backup at UND, and the starting UND QB went into the portal this year.

Last edited:

at least they mentioned two players from schools that are outside the Metro area. Usually, the Strib only pays attention to HS sports that take place in and around the 494-694 loop.

Get out of Minnesota once in a while, this is not unique to the Star Tribune. Do you think the Madison and Milwaukee papers do a great job of of the outstate coverate? From other places i have lived and followed I think the Star does a much better job covering rural/outstate areas. Madison/Milwaukee do not think anything exists north of the Dells and West of Appleton.

Get out of Minnesota once in a while, this is not unique to the Star Tribune. Do you think the Madison and Milwaukee papers do a great job of of the outstate coverate? From other places i have lived and followed I think the Star does a much better job covering rural/outstate areas. Madison/Milwaukee do not think anything exists north of the Dells and West of Appleton.

on the other hand, the Des Moines Register does a much better job than the Strib when it comes to state-wide coverage. I'm not saying they cover every school in-depth, but at least they acknowledge that there are teams outside the Metro area. FWIW, I lived in WI for 5 years and I lived in IA for 5 years, so I am familiar with media coverage in those states.

on the other hand, the Des Moines Register does a much better job than the Strib when it comes to state-wide coverage. I'm not saying they cover every school in-depth, but at least they acknowledge that there are teams outside the Metro area. FWIW, I lived in WI for 5 years and I lived in IA for 5 years, so I am familiar with media coverage in those states.
Who would you say is the go to prep coverage paper in Wisconsin? Does the Milwaukee journal sentinel cover the whole state ?

Who would you say is the go to prep coverage paper in Wisconsin? Does the Milwaukee journal sentinel cover the whole state ?

I mostly read the Madison State Journal. I would pick up the Sentinel on Sundays once in a while.

as I recall - and I lived in WI from '87 to '92, so it's been a while - the State Journal covered central WI HS sports fairly well. I can't swear that it covered the entire state, but I do think the Journal covered a wider area than the Strib does in MN. I lived in SW WI - in Baraboo and later in Platteville. So I would also read the Dubuque Herald. (worked as a stringer for the Herald and also did a little stringing for the Sentinel on news stories, not sports).

but the Des Moines Register had the best state-wide HS sports coverage and small-college sports coverage of any of the Midwest papers that I read back in the day. their "Peach" sports section was excellent.

I mostly read the Madison State Journal. I would pick up the Sentinel on Sundays once in a while.

as I recall - and I lived in WI from '87 to '92, so it's been a while - the State Journal covered central WI HS sports fairly well. I can't swear that it covered the entire state, but I do think the Journal covered a wider area than the Strib does in MN. I lived in SW WI - in Baraboo and later in Platteville. So I would also read the Dubuque Herald. (worked as a stringer for the Herald and also did a little stringing for the Sentinel on news stories, not sports).

but the Des Moines Register had the best state-wide HS sports coverage and small-college sports coverage of any of the Midwest papers that I read back in the day. their "Peach" sports section was excellent.
Madison State Journal?

Madison State Journal?

it's officially the Wisconsin State Journal - but it's based in Madison.

so that's how I always thought of it - the State Journal in Madison. most people in Wisconsin just call it the State Journal or the Journal.

Top Bottom