Potential Conflict for B10 Home Opener

Southpaw

Reaction score
The Strib posted its Big Ten Bowl projections today. They have the Gophers, with a projected record of 7-5, playing in the Champs Sports Bowl at 7pm on Dec 29th. Why does that date and time ring a bell? ...Oh yeah, that's the exact date and time of the Penn State B10 home opener. I'm cringing at the thought of the Gophers rescheduling the BB game to a day game (on a workday) to accommodate those fans that want to watch both games (apparently they never heard of Tivo). Under similar circumstances last year, I and many other fans, had to skip the rescheduled Michigan State game because we had to work. I also understand that the parking was a bit of a challenge for those who attended the game.

Let's hope our Gophers can play themselves into a better bowl game so we won't have to worry about a time change for the BB game.

The Strib posted its Big Ten Bowl projections today. They have the Gophers, with a projected record of 7-5, playing in the Champs Sports Bowl at 7pm on Dec 29th. Why does that date and time ring a bell? ...Oh yeah, that's the exact date and time of the Penn State B10 home opener. I'm cringing at the thought of the Gophers rescheduling the BB game to a day game (on a workday) to accommodate those fans that want to watch both games (apparently they never heard of Tivo). Under similar circumstances last year, I and many other fans, had to skip the rescheduled Michigan State game because we had to work. I also understand that the parking was a bit of a challenge for those who attended the game.

Let's hope our Gophers can play themselves into a better bowl game so we won't have to worry about a time change for the BB game.

Champs is the best we can hope for right now. I see no scenario where we would go higher than that, even if we win out and go 8-4.

I'd be more inclined to think we'll be in the Alamo Bowl on Saturday, January 2 (same day MBB plays at Iowa).

Nice catch. Gees, I hope they don't make the same decision. Under no circumstances should a Gopher basketball game (especially a Big 10 game) be moved to a weekday time (when most people are at work) to accomodate a Gopher bowl game, unless that bowl starts with an "R" and ends with an "e".

Big Difference

Last year the game was on New Year's Eve, a non work day for a good number of people, making the possibility of getting to a day game more likely.

Only a fool would put a game during the day on a standard workday. That's right, this is the U of M Athletic Department. Anything is possible.

Not as many as you think had the day off. The atmosphere last year for the Michigan St. was not as electric as a result of the time change... maybe because the team laid an egg on the court... but I would see the athletic department moving the game again this year. sadly.

Top Bottom