Potential All Big Ten Gophers

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Seems like Carter and Wilhite are locks though who knows which team. Hageman likely will get on there too.

Other possibles might be Campion (has played well all year and injury free), Barker (injury makes this less likely), Kirkwood, and Stoudermire (has seemed solid, at least to me, at CB).

Outside shot: Aaron Hill. Always seems to be around the ball.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Derrick Wells will at least get an Honorable Mention I would think. I would think Carter and Wilhite will end up on the 1st or 2nd team depending on how either plays the next two saturdays. Wilhite has the best chance for 1st team, whereas, Carter, if he doesn't have another stellar game will unfortunately end up 2nd team to honorable mention. (Although, I think Carter's play should garner some 1st team accolades, but, unfortunately, my opinion doesn't matter. :( ) And, maybe Campion for Honorable Mention well.

Seems like Carter and Wilhite are locks though who knows which team. Hageman likely will get on there too.

Other possibles might be Campion (has played well all year and injury free), Barker (injury makes this less likely), Kirkwood, and Stoudermire (has seemed solid, at least to me, at CB).

Outside shot: Aaron Hill. Always seems to be around the ball.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Think you're right about Carter, Wilhite and Hageman having a shot. Can't say I know enough about individual players around the Big Ten to make a very well educated guess. Do know though that when it comes to the NUMBER of players on 1st and 2nd teams these things seem to alway depend heavily on where their team finishes in Conference play. 4-4 finish would help a lot. 2-4 finish may leave only one spot "open".

Always tough to project who they will pick on the O-Line for each team but of our group Campion has the best shot of getting noticed at that position.

As for likely I agree Carter and Wilhite are near locks to end up on one of the teams. Wells, Stoudermire and Shede may also get some consideration though not sure any of them will make it.

On offense Kirkwood maybe has a shot if he has two really strong games to close things out but he is probably a longshot as there are quite a few guys in front of him right now that would be more likely to win. Had Barker stayed healthy he might have had a shot in weak crop of receivers but with missing 3 games don't see any way he gets the nod. Not sure how the TE position shakes out but if Rabe caught a bunch of TD's the next two weeks maybe he gets a look? Seems unlikely though.

Are these awards supposed to be based on conference game performance only or is it for the entire season?

Wilhite, Carter, and Hagemen are locks for first or second team as far as I'm concerned.

Are these awards supposed to be based on conference game performance only or is it for the entire season?

Wilhite, Carter, and Hagemen are locks for first or second team as far as I'm concerned.

That's a good question. I guess I was working under the idea they are for the entire season but they very well could be Big Ten only. If that is the case I would say Wells is out of the picture as his biggest impact was during the non-conf season.

I think we have several players who deserve 1st- or 2nd-team status, but we'll probably be lucky to have anyone even on HM. We're the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten.

Just looked at the stats for conference games only. Baring some huge numbers if they go Big Ten stats only we may very well not get anyone on any of the teams.

Wilhite only has 3 sacks through 6 conference games which doesn't put him in the top 5 and he also doesn't rank anywhere on the list in terms of TFL. Carter is #2 in PBU but only has the 1 pick. Carter would probably get at least HM. No one on our defense is anywhere close to the league lead in tackles when you just look at conference games.

On offense Campion is the only guy who has any shot of earning enything outside of maybe Nelson getting on the freshman team.

I think we have several players who deserve 1st- or 2nd-team status, but we'll probably be lucky to have anyone even on HM. We're the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten.

"Several" is quite generous given the number of 1st/2nd team slots available to all 12 B1G teams' players. Wilhite and Carter should get 1st or 2nd team, but not a chance for Kirkwood with all the other RBs so far ahead in the stats. Particularly bassed on conference only stats, no one really shows up in the top 5 in any category for the Gophers. Of course the OL doesn't really show up here but I suspect the top rushing teams are more likely to have the top rated OL.

I don't think there is any end of year freshman award from the B1G.

Top Bottom