Post-season eligibility

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
With the new WBIT (32 teams) and the WNIT (48 teams), 148 teams will be playing in the post-season. At 15-14, the Gophers cannot finish below .500, which presumably would make them eligible. If invited -- and given the injuries and the finish, that might not be likely -- should they accept?

Last edited:

With the new WBIT (32 teams) and the WNIT (48 teams), 148 teams will be playing in the post-season. At 15-14, the Gophers cannot finish below .500, which presumably would make them eligible. If invited -- and given the injuries and the finish, that's might not be likely -- should they accept?
Most years I would say yes but this team quit when Braun went down. I see no confidence in their body language and their level of play. As much as I would like to see the season continue and don’t know if I can witness anymore beat downs.

If Hart is cleared, accept it.

After this PSU game, I see no benefit playing in the postseason with the current available players.

Has anyone heard if there is any possibility of Braun returning if there is a postseason? That's the only reason I can think of to prolong this season at this point.

They won’t clear Braun regardless. Her and Hart will be shut down.

I can’t imagine they would turn it down. The coaches have to assume that everyone is coming back next year, even if fans assume/wish otherwise. It’s better for recruiting, it extends P’s postseason streak and it allows them to play some of the bench in (mostly) meaningless games.

They won’t clear Braun regardless. Her and Hart will be shut down.
But the Gophers have steadfastly refused to list either as out for the season. Hedging has been surprising in case of Braun.

Most years I would say yes but this team quit when Braun went down. I see no confidence in their body language and their level of play. As much as I would like to see the season continue and don’t know if I can witness anymore beat downs.
couldn't have said it better myself.

Has anyone heard if there is any possibility of Braun returning if there is a postseason? That's the only reason I can think of to prolong this season at this point.
The way they have been playing Braun will make 0 difference. Don't forget they lost 2 games in a row to Wiscy and Illinois before Braun was injured. They are a complete psychological wreck and they need to hire a new sports psychologist and have DP go on sabbatical so someone else can get them back on track.

With the new WBIT (32 teams) and the WNIT (48 teams), 148 teams will be playing in the post-season. At 15-14, the Gophers cannot finish below .500, which presumably would make them eligible. If invited -- and given the injuries and the finish, that's might not be likely -- should they accept?
Absolutely....Getting any post season ball is a benefit. If nothing else help it develop other players so next year you are at least 1 more deeper. I know this season has turn 180 for the worse, but their is still a lot of potential going forward as the team will become older. Reality is they are still one of the youngest in the big 10 and lot to develop and learn to be competitive. This is where is becomes key to keep brining in good recruits and fill in key spots through the portal.

Coach P has to understand Sanders won't be back next year for sure, so might as well play Senden more at the PG. See more Dalan, Madol on where they are at and get some game film to review for next year. It is hard once big 10 season rolls to develop through practices and games are many time every 3/4 days with travel and rest, etc.

PG - Senden
SG - GG
G/F - Battle (see if Battle can post up or cut for layups.
F - Heyer/Czinano
P - AJ / Holloway / Dalan

The way they have been playing Braun will make 0 difference. Don't forget they lost 2 games in a row to Wiscy and Illinois before Braun was injured. They are a complete psychological wreck and they need to hire a new sports psychologist and have DP go on sabbatical so someone else can get them back on track.
She went down when they lead 57-50 and was shooting 50% from 3-point range with 4 makes. I'd mark that game as one without her as she has shown she was more than capable of bringing them home in the 4th if healthy.

Is it true for both Men and Women that WNIT and NIT home games not an option? I thought I heard Grim on radio after a men's game that because of State High School tournaments neither Williams or Pavillion will be available for Gophers Post season play in those tournaments.

I cant remember where I read it, but I did read that Coach P would welcome an invite to the WNIT. Your thoughts if they are invited to the WNIT and both Sophie and Mara are cleared by then would you play them?

I cant remember where I read it, but I did read that Coach P would welcome an invite to the WNIT. Your thoughts if they are invited to the WNIT and both Sophie and Mara are cleared by then would you play them?
There is also the new WBIT tournament this year that is owned by the NCAA. Based on what I’ve read, it sounds like the WBIT gets to pick its 32 teams first before the WNIT picks its 48 teams.

If cleared I'm sure she would play, I don't believe they are cleared unless 100%.

I have a friend who is a foot surgeon and he says minimum recovery, assuming it is a broken bone, would be about 8-10 weeks. I think this week (Wednesday) was 5 or 6 weeks since surgery. I would guess best case scenario would be about March 20th, assuming this was 6 weeks post surgery.

Very encouraged with Battle’s play this week and if they get an invite I think they should go. If Braun and/or Hart are cleared to play even minimum minutes, even better. Doesn’t sound like a lot of chatter about players leaving more chatter about next season. If that is truly the case I say play on! I do think GG and Heyer need a little rest as they play almost the entire game. I think a week of rest would do them and the rest of the team would be welcomed. Really like this focused version of Battle and would like to see some more.

Neither Braun nor Hart were available for the 2nd Wisconsin game

Is anyone really surprised that new post-season tournaments are here? It’s that CC effect.

Gophers should definitely accept any invitation to play in the post season. I trust our medical personnel and trainers to advise Coach if Hart and Braun are ready to play. We have witnessed some good play from Madol, Holloway, Senden n Johnson and they all could benefit from more playing time. I’ve recently seen some positive posts that have me hopeful our core group of Braun, Battle, Heyer n Hart will all be returning. Go Gophers !

Will the gophers keep practicing until they get the news if they will be invited for post season play or not? Whole week until selection show for the NCAA.

Will the gophers keep practicing until they get the news if they will be invited for post season play or not? Whole week until selection show for the NCAA.
I think they can practice until tournament selections are made. If not selected then normal off-season.

That means after the NCAA field is announced Sunday night, the 32-team WBIT field will be announced, followed by the Women's NIT, which is a separate entity.

The Gophers (16-15) would be eligible for the tournament. The field is chosen by a panel that includes five former head coaches and three current athletic administrators. First-, second- and quarterfinal games are played at home sites. The semifinals and finals will be played at Hinkle Fieldhouse on the Butler campus in Indianapolis

Anyone know how Hart and Brauns rehab is going? Hopefully the Gophs get some preseason ball.

I was watching all the 19-win teams get into the NCAA tourney. If only we had beat WI x2 and Rutgers in the regular season…

Top Bottom