[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Illinois 40-17

Damn fine game. Scored 40, defense held Illinois to only 3 offensive points. Offense had the plays that resulted in turnover touchdowns, but more pros than cons for sure. Great to see Smith and Brooks tag-teaming again.

Onto 4-2 Nebraska! Big opportunity next week. Way to close the door on Illinois in crummy conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pompous Elitist

Encouraging game all around after a really messy start.

Defense, running game, Rodney, Shannon, St Juste, Durr, Winfield, Martin all had great games. Oliver had a nice sack, may be the Cashman replacement we’re looking for. Spann Ford will be a weapon.

Meh would include receiver hands. Morgan struggled a bit early but I’ll blame it on the rain.

Bad would include the INT and TJ 50/50 hands making a return. I can’t think of anything else.

RodentRampage

If you had told that the Gophers offense would give up two TDs and the margin was 23, I wouldn't have guessed the Gophers won.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Encouraging game all around after a really messy start.

Defense, running game, Rodney, Shannon, St Juste, Durr, Winfield, Martin all had great games. Oliver had a nice sack, may be the Cashman replacement we’re looking for. Spann Ford will be a weapon.

Meh would include receiver hands. Morgan struggled a bit early but I’ll blame it on the rain.

Bad would include the INT and TJ 50/50 hands making a return. I can’t think of anything else.
I know TJ6 is the golden child, being from Mpls, but good grief, his drops are just plain maddening. Sure, it was wet today, but WTF. With CAB and some of the younger receivers waiting in the wings, I'm not sure we see much of a drop-off next year when TJ has moved on. Great player, and he'll go down as a great all-time Gopher but he could be so much better.

stocker08

I know TJ6 is the golden child, being from Mpls, but good grief, his drops are just plain maddening. Sure, it was wet today, but WTF. With CAB and some of the younger receivers waiting in the wings, I'm not sure we see much of a drop-off next year when TJ has moved on. Great player, and he'll go down as a great all-time Gopher but he could be so much better.
Bateman dropped a couple too though. But I don't think there's any question....we won't lose a step next year at WR. Bateman is already a more talented receiver than TJ....and CAB has all big ten potential.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

UpAndUnder43

Spano-Ford played and got targeted and caught a TD. Makes teams work to stop that going forward.

Running game and OL were dominant. Morgan didn't get hit much at all (only 17 attempts, but still)

Defense dominated. Illinois had one decent drive that stalled out and they missed a FG. Forced a fumble or two. Got an INT. Lots of big hits, and I don't remember any penalties????

Bob_Loblaw

Your first sentence and your last sentence don't really jive. I think TJ is a golden child here because of your last sentence. I don't even know if I would call him "the golden child", he is a revered Gopher because, as you said, he's an all time great.

GophersInIowa

Still haven’t played a complete game yet but still sit at 5-0. Continue to clean things up and they should continue to win a lot of games.

Panthadad2

I'm re-watching the game now because I was distracted working in the garage this afternoon. I'm realizing now that the Gophs simply look like better athletes as well as better coached. Then I wonder, how in the hell did the Illini make the Gophs look like little kids last year?

Panthadad2

Still haven’t played a complete game yet but still sit at 5-0. Continue to clean things up and they should continue to win a lot of games.
You think? Giving up two defensive touchdowns to the Illini and yet still blowing them out? That might be the first time I've ever seen a team win in that scenario.

Latest profile posts