Post-Game Reaction Thread: Gophers Dominate Northwestern

What’s with BTN refusing to run our game in the 60 minute format. Every other game has been on a couple times and all are scheduled to run again, except ours. This assumes the guide is accurate.

What’s with BTN refusing to run our game in the 60 minute format. Every other game has been on a couple times and all are scheduled to run again, except ours. This assumes the guide is accurate.
On their schedule for today/tomorrow they are playing 3 unlisted B1G Football games in 60 at 11pm, 2am, and 7am. I assume one of those is ours as the listed games they have are PSU/OSU, Iowa/Wisconsin, and MSU/Michigan

Maybe it's the 6 PM one that isn't labeled?

On the direct TV guide the 6PM game is labeled Iowa Wisconsin.

On the direct TV guide the 6PM game is labeled Iowa Wisconsin.
BTN's website defaults to ET and says that 6PM is the unlabeled game and 7PM is the Iowa Wisconsin game. So the options are in CT are 5pm, 10pm, 1am, 6am

It has become obvious that the play calling we see is because of Morgans limitations. Even PJ said the interception was due to a bad throw by Morgan. If we had an elite QB with our running game we would see different play calling and even more points being put up. I appreciate Morgan, but I’m looking forward to next year and beyond to seeing if the other QB’s can raise the level of play.
After a rough start, Morgan is back up to 60%, the best stats ever for a Minnesota QB. The Gophers will have to pass to win some of the remaining games.

This to me was PJ's ideal game. Dominated time of possession, took basically zero risks on offense, game seemed well in hand by half time, and the entire 4th quarter was garbage time. The improvement of the Oline since they bye has been very notable. I mentioned it before but I don't know if it was a personnel issue, or a technique issue, or something they found in their tendencies in their self scout but they are noticably better in both the run game and pass protection. The only real negative I saw in this game was a hint of our WR's (outside of MBS) being unable to separate on a few plays. The main culprit was Jackson and this was just his first game back, so this is really stretching for something to pick at. I did like the passes to the backs and Morgan keeping one for a TD. The more you can put on tape for those Iowa and Wisconsin defenses to have to cover, the better.

Rossi's defense keeps getting it done. Not concerned about the rushing yards in this game as a number of them were gained after the lead was 2 scores. If the other team wants to run the clock out on themselves, go ahead. Even on the garbage time TD, Thomas Rush was just a split second away from a sack and potential fumble (though not sure what Sori-Marin was dong in coverage) it just seems like we're really locked in on that side of the ball. The Dline gets a lot of praise and rightly so. I can't remember having guys behind the starters who also consistently make plays before this year. I am sure the 5th guy has made plays before, but not 6,7, etc. My one nitpick here is that I hope Oliver starts playing better as our sub package linebacker. A few games ago I thought he was really coming on, but it was a struggle for him against Maryland and (I could be wrong here) I don't think he had a strong game in this one either. It will be interesting to see if we play a more traditional 4-3 against Iowa/Wisconsin and if so if that's Oliver in their with Gibbens and MSM or someone else.

I am still very concerned about those rivalry games. My biggest question is can Minnesota get to these 3rd and shorts and against these better defenses by being this conservative and if they can...can they convert ag the rate they have been recently? I noticed a lot of the 3rd down conversions in this game came after Kramer was hit behind the line of scrimmage or after Irving had to bounce it outside when met with resistance.
They'll have to pass some to beat Iowa and Wisconsin. Northwestern was at the bottom in defense against the run, so run on them, but you won't be able to do that in every game.

They'll have to pass some to beat Iowa and Wisconsin. Northwestern was at the bottom in defense against the run, so run on them, but you won't be able to do that in every game.
I keep seeing this posted in various threads.....does anyone really think the coaches aren't aware of the fact that we will almost certainly need to throw more against the likes of Iowa and Wisconsin?

Is there a tweet with the Lecaptain run? I don't see one anywhere.

Edit: didn't see you asked for a tweet -- I didn't see the broadcast clip on twitter

Tweet or video. Either works. Thanks for the clips. I was up moving around towards the end of the game and only caught the tail end of the run.

I checked my guide on the TV and none of the Football in 60 games is ours. They even have Minnesota Volleyball in 60. I sent BTN an email so we will see if they get back to me.

Last edited:

Top Bottom