Post Game Notes

As someone said, RB blocking was great. It was. On passes, WI often blitzed Sanborn or Cheney up an open gap. Our RB, esp Ky and LeCaptain, didn’t wait for the block—they charged the gap and stopped/redirected the blitzer, giving Tanner time to find the open receiver. That is awesome contribution in a non-running play.
Credit not only to the RBs for picking up the blitzes, but also to the coaching staff for clearly identifying what WI was likely to do, and clearly coaching the team during the week on what we would do to counter, including passes to the vacated spots from the blitzers.

I know the OC gets a lot of criticism, some deserved, but this week the Gophers were well prepared and executed a really good game plan. They moved the ball and scored 23 pts on a really good defense.

Nice recap Bob.
2) Coach acknowledge that he completely screwed that one up.
9) I wasn't able to go to the game. Watching the Jump around on TV was absolutely awesome. I'm hoping that someone has a video of the whole thing so that we can watch it from time to time.

One other thing. Allen. It has been said he has been hurt most of the year with both of his legs. To me, this doesn't sound like very good care of his legs the way he was limping yesterday. Wonder if he'll have long term issues or if is something that will take care of itself through rest?

Credit not only to the RBs for picking up the blitzes, but also to the coaching staff for clearly identifying what WI was likely to do, and clearly coaching the team during the week on what we would do to counter, including passes to the vacated spots from the blitzers.

I know the OC gets a lot of criticism, some deserved, but this week the Gophers were well prepared and executed a really good game plan. They moved the ball and scored 23 pts on a really good defense.
I just re-watched some plays. Tanner's TD pass to CAB, on a field-wide crossing route, was a slow developing play. One on the LBs, I think Sanborn, shot a vacated gap cleanly on a blitz. Ky Thomas surged forward to meet the LB and, before the LB could maneuver, crumpled him like a rag doll. Gave Tanner the extra 2 seconds standing his ground, clean, to make the play work. RBs who play like this when they aren't carrying the ball are an enormous benefit to a passing game.

One of the time-honored ways to beat a defense whose LBs are blitz crazy is to release a TE to the place vacated by the blitzing LB. Why we didn't do that against BG is a topic for the ages. But we did do it against the Badgers, with great success, punishing them for their risk-taking. Thank you.

One of the time-honored ways to beat a defense whose LBs are blitz crazy is to release a TE to the place vacated by the blitzing LB. Why we didn't do that against BG is a topic for the ages. But we did do it against the Badgers, with great success, punishing them for their risk-taking. Thank you.
We did it on the pass to Bucko too.

Bucko hesitated for a second like he was going to pick up the Sanborn blitz and ran right by him for a 35 yard gain. It was a pretty big play to swing some momentum back to us after the pick 6.

Badger fans were much more tolerable and sober today than years past. 2019 was the absolute worst. I think GameDay had fans getting extra trashed. This was a pleasant reprieve
Had a row of them behind me. They were insufferable. Not drunk but very condescending.
Some day they will come to the realization that their days are over.

We did it on the pass to Bucko too.

Bucko hesitated for a second like he was going to pick up the Sanborn blitz and ran right by him for a 35 yard gain. It was a pretty big play to swing some momentum back to us after the pick 6.
Gotta admit, after the pick 6 I pretty much gave up hope. I've watched too many Gopher/Badger games. Man it feels good to win one of these!

Gotta admit, after the pick 6 I pretty much gave up hope. I've watched too many Gopher/Badger games. Man it feels good to win one of these!
Yeah, it felt like the typical Badger/Gopher game until Walley's pick.

Top Bottom