POLL - Correct College Coach Post Game Response

What's the right thing for the coach to say post-game if there were player issues?

• Total voters
There are about 140 plays in the average game. A single game or a single player has never won or lost a game. Any coach who looks at things that way is missing the big picture. If they call it out in the press conference that's even worse.

The ideal answer would mention key mistakes that are bad and contributed to the loss but at the same time take some responsibility for not coaching better and also give credit to your opponent for making those plays. The goals are to show the team that you have their back but also show the fans that you're not okay with what happened so they don't lose faith in you. Plus it's not really a lie - in almost every game you could identify mistakes coaches made and mistakes every starter made. Fleck's answer was good and it seems like whatever he is doing on the PR side is working. It seems like there aren't many morale issues or players openly disliking the way he does things and although it is a small sample size, average home attendance so far this season is the highest it's been since they increased season ticket prices.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Depends on who the player is. I am guessing that some players use criticism as motivation to be better, others may lose confidence and get discouraged by it.
Well, tough part is fans don't know which players can use the criticism well and which will lose confidence. So if a coach call out the player, we might assume he's the type that can't handle the challenge. Then fans will argue about it for a while and waste time.

#2Gopher

Fleck or any coach. If you lose its a little trickier. Joe Morrison, when at South Carolina, would always say, "We'll have to look at the film and see what we need to work on." Calling out players by name or making excuses it to be avoided....obviously.
Bud Grant would always say this too about film. Then after reviewing film more times than not he would praise his team and state we just need to do a couple things after we all thought the team needed an overhaul.

50PoundHead

Bud Grant would always say this too about film. Then after reviewing film more times than not he would praise his team and state we just need to do a couple things after we all thought the team needed an overhaul.
But I also remember Bud's response when a reporter asked after a player (I believe it was Bobby Bryant) messed up terribly if it's "just a mistake." Bud's response was something to the effect, "Well, if every player gets to make a mistake, that's 22 mistakes and we'll never win a game if that's the case."

60's Guy

Fleck or any coach. If you lose its a little trickier. Joe Morrison, when at South Carolina, would always say, "We'll have to look at the film and see what we need to work on." Calling out players by name or making excuses it to be avoided....obviously.
I think this or saying as little as possible is best. You need some time to collect yourself...save your comments for the weekly press conference when you have had a chance to watch film, talk to players and coaches, put things in perspective etc.

We’ll get better, kids work hard, change our best, things to clean up, things to improve upon, excited to get back to practice etc etc great kids

I don’t think you ever criticize players in public. Like SON said, no one feels worse than so and so ... he makes that play 9 outta 10 times .. wouldn’t trade him for anybody etc...it happened...we’ll fix it.

PJ is mostly good at it. The stuff they did we we hadn’t seen before comments creates doubt in too many people that you aren’t preparing your team properly.

Brohm said

Hard after the injuries. We are a very young team and they have to play hard all the time or they won't play. Also said his first year he relied on transfers to tide them over but that did not work the last recruiting period so the young players have to grow. Also said they are a very young team.:)

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Hard after the injuries. We are a very young team and they have to play hard all the time or they won't play. Also said his first year he relied on transfers to tide them over but that did not work the last recruiting period so the young players have to grow.

Oh, I hope he didn't say that. The media will eat him alive!