Poll! - Can you throw an NCAA Regulation Size Football 40 yards?

Poll! - Can you throw an NCAA Regulation Size Football 40 yards?

• Yes! I can throw a football 40 yards, if not a lot more

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • No. I am comfortable enough in my masculinity to admit I can't do it.

Votes: 68 54.0%

• Total voters
I know for certain that at 53 I can still throw it 50+ yards.

Recovery time is at least a week and a half however!

So, what was the argument?

In another thread there was discussion on Tanner Morgan's throwing arm strength which then went into a conversation about the percentage of GH'ers who could throw it 40 yards.
This poll will help provide a fair representation of the percentage of GH'ers who can throw the ball 40 yards.

As of today roughly 42-43 percent can confirm ability to heave it, roughly another 20-30 percent think they can’t (but likely could) and the MASH ward makes up the rest.

I have a turf field by my house with accurate yardage lines. I went out there last night and whipped it as far as I could with a NFL spec ball. Late 30s, good shape, former HS WR who over my life has been an average football thrower. First couple fell short as they wobbled or went off-line. Then I uncorked a couple in the mid-40s. I was about 50% at making it to the mark. I imagine a fairly high number on here could do it.

There's also a big difference between shot-putting a ball toward the heavens for pure distance and actually throwing a tight spiral with some zip into a receiving window with equipment on and rushers giving chase. Few of us could throw it 40 under those conditions.

Zero chance.

However I buy season tickets to watch people half my age do it so I could care less if I can or not. #RTB

I have a turf field by my house with accurate yardage lines. I went out there last night and whipped it as far as I could with a NFL spec ball. Late 30s, good shape, former HS WR who over my life has been an average football thrower. First couple fell short as they wobbled or went off-line. Then I uncorked a couple in the mid-40s. I was about 50% at making it to the mark. I imagine a fairly high number on here could do it.

There's also a big difference between shot-putting a ball toward the heavens for pure distance and actually throwing a tight spiral with some zip into a receiving window with equipment on and rushers giving chase. Few of us could throw it 40 under those conditions.

Second part is key. Throwing the ball 45 yards on the opposite side hash mark of your intended target isn't going to cut it.

I excel at throwing the ball in a tight spiral to a target downfield at their feet and several yards behind where they are when the ball arrives! Which is why I like Ricky Foggie so much!

And I’ll bet you took a running start. And you marked the ball where it hit the ground. Not many receivers catching one on the hop. Thanks for being honest.

Nearly no one on this site can throw a ball like Tanner Morgan, and no one could do it multiple times during a game. This isn’t a video game.

‘Nuff said.

And I’ll bet you took a running start. And you marked the ball where it hit the ground. Not many receivers catching one on the hop. Thanks for being honest.

Nearly no one on this site can throw a ball like Tanner Morgan, and no one could do it multiple times during a game. This isn’t a video game.

‘Nuff said.

Meh. Maximum velocity is more a function of getting all the joints from the legs, hips, back, arm rotating and moving the right way to generate maximum torque at release, like cracking a whip. I find it harder to maintain good form when running and I suspect others do too. I agree this is a learned skill and the accuracy of Morgan is pretty incredible. His hit rate last year on deep throws was NFL QB like. ZA seemed to struggle more with his long accuracy.

So, because of this thread, I measured how far I can throw a football. I'm 35 and fairly active and I threw it about 50 yards (slightly under). I don't think I'll be able to hit 40 yards in 10 years. In 20 years, nope.

Getting old sucks.

Also, I had a moment where my buddy asked me why I was measuring it was because of that evil genius Studwell. Congrats, Studwell!

Nope! My shoulder is shot. AC joint still has a knot on it. There is probably some rotator cuff issues as well. That being said, I don't know if I could when my shoulder was "healthy".

Nope! My shoulder is shot. AC joint still has a knot on it. There is probably some rotator cuff issues as well. That being said, I don't know if I could when my shoulder was "healthy".

Rub some dirt in it and walk it off man!

‘Nuff said.

Agree! I was talking to an in-law who played QB in HS, and baseball in college. The part of the conversation that stood out to me most was that he felt people should leave Leidner alone. Just making a roster at that level is something. Starting means you have to be pretty darn good.

The other thing that is missing here is that if you are throwing a forty-yard out, you are probably really throwing the ball 50 to 70 yards. Most of us here are decribing throwing the ball 40 yards straight line.

‘Nuff said.
How many people said they could throw as good or better than Morgan?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Why are there no videos of Gopherholers throwing 40+. Is it still 2005 on the GH?

I'm 49 and can still hit 45 yards (barely) with no run up or crow hop. Run up and crow hops will add distance, but you don't always get that luxury as a QB.

Agree! I was talking to an in-law who played QB in HS, and baseball in college. The part of the conversation that stood out to me most was that he felt people should leave Leidner alone. Just making a roster at that level is something. Starting means you have to be pretty darn good.

The other thing that is missing here is that if you are throwing a forty-yard out, you are probably really throwing the ball 50 to 70 yards. Most of us here are decribing throwing the ball 40 yards straight line.

I’d argue more like 43-47 depending on launch point but my pythagorean math may be fuzzy

I'm 49 and can still hit 45 yards (barely) with no run up or crow hop. Run up and crow hops will add distance, but you don't always get that luxury as a QB.

2 laps for standing next to laughing guy!

‘Nuff said.

This is absolutely true. I got over 40, but I put everything I had into it and it had absolutely no zip. My shoulder is now sore and I don't even want to try to do it again, much less multiple times in game.

I did take a bit of a running start too. So yeah, it wasn't pretty.

I’d argue more like 43-47 depending on launch point but my pythagorean math may be fuzzy

You are probably correct. I was thinking the entire width which would be like 53 to 55 yards using 50 as a nice clean number(Square root of (50*50)+(40*40)=~64yards). Hash to hash is probably only 30 to forty feet not yards. That would probably only be about two to three yards.

How many people said they could throw as good or better than Morgan?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

No kidding. Talk about moving the goal post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put some air under it and you should able to throw it 40 yards. Nobody is saying it as to be accurate of on a line right?

Put some air under it and you should able to throw it 40 yards. Nobody is saying it as to be accurate of on a line right?

53% of the posters here are man enough to admit they can't, and it's totally fine. It's what I expected. 40 yards isn't far by actual NCAA level QB standards, but for your average poster 40 yards is a long way which is why I argued that most posters couldn't do it.

Speaking of guys that can’t throw former Gopher Streveler looking to get the start this Friday on ESPN2 for the Blue Bombers. Their starter has a shoulder injury. Time to shine. The staff will look to build a game plan around dump offs and read option.

Top Bottom