Poise

spermophilus

Reaction score
Wasn’t that the word that was used to describe this team/season? That tortuous last 60 minutes of actual (not game) time was anything but.

PJ said this is his most "connected" team he has coached, and that he doesn't believe in momentum. I truly believe he has been deleteriously infected by self-help gurus, culture consultants and new-age books. He's lost sight of x's and o's.

PJ said this is his most "connected" team he has coached, and that he doesn't believe in momentum. I truly believe he has been deleteriously infected by self-help gurus, culture consultants and new-age books. He's lost sight of x's and o's.
At least this loss allowed you to utilize your word of the day calendar.

Ugh, seriously! Our D was totally out of it. They haven't played that bad for awhile.
What defense were they playing in the fourth quarter. I don't know but it sure looked like they were playing a soft zone, no big plays, lots of holes underneath. Sit back and watch them beat us seemed to be what they were doing.

Ugh, seriously! Our D was totally out of it. They haven't played that bad for awhile.
Still can;t believe that drive where NU threw three, long, complete passes in a row for the TD. That was WAY TOO EASY!! That just should never happen. Rossi is incredibly overrated and now he must show some chops.

Still can;t believe that drive where NU threw three, long, complete passes in a row for the TD. That was WAY TOO EASY!! That just should never happen. Rossi is incredibly overrated and now he must show some chops.
The athletes on the field are slow. It's really that simple.

I vote S as in the coaches and players collectively S'ed the bed. Football is a 4 quarter game and they lost focus and instinct to finish the opponent. 20230924_122830.jpg

I've been a big fan of PJ, but you're absolutely right. This self-help, positive thinking nonsense of his has poisoned he and the team.

Rossi is not overrated. They are struggling to adjust on the back end of the defense the last two games. The defense has 4 transfers, missing their leader in Lindenberg, and playing 2 red-shirt freshmen. Hopefully they mesh and trust each other as the season progresses.

Since Rossi took over defense (I don't include 2020 when talking record because the season has many***)

34-13 overall
21-11 Conference

Fleck teams have blown 5 halftime leads over his tenure.

8 point lead at Purdue in year #1. (Not Rossi)
7 point lead at Maryland in COVID 2020 year.
4 point lead to tOSU in 2021
3 Point lead at Iowa in 2021
17 Point lead at NW in 2023. (Lead by 21 in 4th)

These above games and Purdue 2022 and Bowling Green and Illinois in 2021. (These stinkers were all on the offense).

7 Years, 1 bad blown lead to lose a game to a bad team and 3 terrible offensive performances.

13 Losses

2018- 10 to Northwestern
2019- 4 to Iowa and 21 to Wisconsin
2021- 14 to tOSU, 8 to Illinois, 4 to Bowling Green, 5 to Iowa
2022- 10 to Purdue, 12 to Illinois, 28 to Penn State, 3 to Iowa
2023- 18 to UNC, 3 to Northwestern

13 Losses under Rossi with 3 by more than 2 possessions.

Last edited:

Rossi is not overrated. They are struggling to adjust on the back end of the defense the last two games. The defense has 4 transfers, missing their leader in Lindenberg, and playing 2 red-shirt freshmen. Hopefully they mesh and trust each other as the season progresses.

Since Rossi took over defense (I don't include 2020 when talking record because the season has many***)

34-13 overall
21-11 Conference

Fleck teams have blown 5 halftime leads over his tenure.

8 point lead at Purdue in year #1. (Not Rossi)
7 point lead at Maryland in COVID 2020 year.
4 point lead to tOSU in 2021
3 Point lead at Iowa in 2021
17 Point lead at NW in 2023. (Lead by 21 in 4th)

These above games and Purdue 2022 and Bowling Green and Illinois in 2021. (These stinkers were all on the offense).

7 Years, 1 bad blown lead to lose a game to a bad team and 3 terrible offensive performances.

13 Losses

2018- 10 to Northwestern
2019- 4 to Iowa and 21 to Wisconsin
2021- 14 to tOSU, 8 to Illinois, 4 to Bowling Green, 5 to Iowa
2022- 10 to Purdue, 12 to Illinois, 28 to Penn State, 3 to Iowa
2023- 18 to UNC, 3 to Northwestern

13 Losses under Rossi with 3 by more than 2 possessions.
You make some good points. However, Rossi did have all of spring ball, preseason workouts and that was our 4th game of this season. I hope that they manage to start meshing soon.

Of all the madness on Saturday, this was the one that got to me. As frustrating as it can be, an 80 yard explosion can happen, as can 10-15 yard chunks.

That drive, it was big play, big play, touchdown!

Of all the madness on Saturday, this was the one that got to me. As frustrating as it can be, an 80 yard explosion can happen, as can 10-15 yard chunks.

That drive, it was big play, big play, touchdown!
And to the same player, same side of the field!

You make some good points. However, Rossi did have all of spring ball, preseason workouts and that was our 4th game of this season. I hope that they manage to start meshing soon.
Transfers from lower levels are likely adjusting and possibly breaking some old habits. When Fleck says, "our eyes are in the wrong spots." that's fixable.

Transfers from lower levels are likely adjusting and possibly breaking some old habits. When Fleck says, "our eyes are in the wrong spots." that's fixable.
If that's the problem, its fixable. Your comment made me think back to what I heard Mason say a few times. Mason's defense was also struggling and IMO the problem was lack of a pass rush. That is a tough one to correct because the need is some guys who are fast enough to get off their blocks. The guys are busting ass, but they just aren't fast enough. I think that is a big part of what Rossi is facing too. If a DC doesn't have the horses to regularly create a pass rush, his options are limited. (Stiggrow (sp) is a gamer however). So, I will retract my statement about him being overrated. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom