Please Refresh My Memory - Does Anyone Know?

DL65

Reaction score
If this topic has been raised in other threads, I apologize.

I seem to recall that Jim Harbaugh alienated Michigan alumni and fans with less than flattering comments - when he was at Stanford - about the University of Michigan and academics by many of its players. I seem to remember many fans and reporters said he'd be a hard sell, if he hoped to return to Ann Arbor as head coach of the Wolverines.

Does anyone else have similar memories or recall an uproar over comments by Harbaugh related to Michigan?

Go Gophers!!

I vaguely recall that.
Fans and alumni can be pretty forgiving, though.

Can't remember, but I think it's a done deal he's going to Michigan at this point. No way they would wait this long to hire a coach if it's not him...

I sort of remember something like that.

At this particular point, I suspect those who were so offended are delightfully swallowing their pride and hoping like hell Harbaugh will have them.

When you're Michigan right now....beggers can't be choosers.
I'm sure when they floated over that ton of money they noted
that it's all water over a bridge, or under a dam....or, wherever.

When you're Michigan right now....beggers can't be choosers.
I'm sure when they floated over that ton of money they noted
that it's all water over a bridge, or under a dam....or, wherever.

If they get him, which all indications are they will, all will be forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Published August 2007:

They are not about to forget Jim Harbaugh for the swipe he took three months ago at his former school.

"He's not a Michigan man," Wolverine running back Mike Hart, right, told Angelique S. Chengelis of the Detroit News. "I wish he had never played here, but it is what it is."

Harbaugh, in his first year as Stanford coach, told the San Francisco Chronicle in May: "Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there, but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in, and when they're in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They're adulated when they're playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won't hire them."

Jamie Morris, one of Harbaugh's teammates, used to consider the former quarterback a close friend. Today, they no longer speak.

"We've dissolved our friendship," Morris said.

Morris, who works in the Michigan athletic development department, said he talked to Harbaugh shortly after the comments were printed.

"I said, 'Jim, here's my question for you — do you really believe the comments you said, or are you saying them to make you look good?'

"He said, 'I believe them.' And I said, 'Would you have said it if [former coach] Bo [Schembechler] was alive?' He said, 'That's not the point.' And I said, 'That's exactly the point. You didn't hurt Michigan, you hurt your coach, and you hurt the guys you played with. These are the teammates you turned your back on.' "

Then it became heated.

"We said, 'We're not friends anymore,' " Morris said. " 'You lose my number, I lose yours.' "

And from April 2007 - Note that Pete Carroll didn't leave for the NFL until 2010, just before the investigators showed up on the U$C campus:

Say this about new Stanford football coach Jim Harbaugh: He stands by what he says and doesn't back down from anyone. That includes the bullies of the Pacific-10 Conference, the USC Trojans.
Harbaugh got into a little hot water late last week when he told CBS SportsLine.com that he heard USC Coach Pete Carroll was leaving the school after next season.
But rather than claim he was misquoted, Harbaugh has said in subsequent interviews that he was only repeating what he heard.
"It's been widely publicized that he has interviewed for other jobs, and that is what I've heard," Harbaugh said Monday. "I definitely said that. But we bow to no man. We bow to no program here at Stanford University."
Harbaugh was talking about the importance of having a stable coaching staff when he made his initial comments about Carroll. He pointed out that Carroll has had a lengthy stay at USC, but added, "He's only got one more year, though. He'll be there one more year. That's what I've heard. I heard it (from) inside the staff."
Naturally, the comments didn't sit well with the man who returned USC to national prominence. "If he's going to make statements like that, he ought to get his information right," Carroll told the Los Angeles Times. "And if he has any questions about it, he should call me."
Monday, Harbaugh said, "I gave Pete Carroll a compliment, really. He's created a great program at USC and, you know, I said what I've heard, that he won't be there past next year.
I don't claim to be the definitive source on what Pete Carroll is going to do next year."
Asked if he had touched base with Carroll to clear the air, Harbaugh said, "I don't have any questions about his future."

Harbaugh is a prick...a massive prick, and I hope he shows up in Ann Arbor and fails miserably. I have a good buddy who played hockey at Michigan at the same time as Harbaugh, and he has nothing good to say about this prick. He often said he was surprised he could even enter a classroom because his head was too big to get through the door.

He will quickly become more hated than urban legend myer at tOSU.

But Harbaugh was right. Michigan has majors it steers its dumbest jocks to, just like any other school. Michigan is too arrogant to admit that, as evidenced by guys like Hart and Morris. They'll forgot about Harbaugh's comments very quickly in Ann Arbor if he starts beating OSU and MSU on a regular basis and starts winning some conference titles.

Excuse me, you mean division titles, right?

Published August 2007:

They are not about to forget Jim Harbaugh for the swipe he took three months ago at his former school.

"He's not a Michigan man," Wolverine running back Mike Hart, right, told Angelique S. Chengelis of the Detroit News. "I wish he had never played here, but it is what it is."

Harbaugh, in his first year as Stanford coach, told the San Francisco Chronicle in May: "Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there, but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in, and when they're in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They're adulated when they're playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won't hire them."

Jamie Morris, one of Harbaugh's teammates, used to consider the former quarterback a close friend. Today, they no longer speak.

"We've dissolved our friendship," Morris said.

Morris, who works in the Michigan athletic development department, said he talked to Harbaugh shortly after the comments were printed.

"I said, 'Jim, here's my question for you — do you really believe the comments you said, or are you saying them to make you look good?'

"He said, 'I believe them.' And I said, 'Would you have said it if [former coach] Bo [Schembechler] was alive?' He said, 'That's not the point.' And I said, 'That's exactly the point. You didn't hurt Michigan, you hurt your coach, and you hurt the guys you played with. These are the teammates you turned your back on.' "

Then it became heated.

"We said, 'We're not friends anymore,' " Morris said. " 'You lose my number, I lose yours.' "

And from April 2007 - Note that Pete Carroll didn't leave for the NFL until 2010, just before the investigators showed up on the U$C campus:

Say this about new Stanford football coach Jim Harbaugh: He stands by what he says and doesn't back down from anyone. That includes the bullies of the Pacific-10 Conference, the USC Trojans.
Harbaugh got into a little hot water late last week when he told CBS SportsLine.com that he heard USC Coach Pete Carroll was leaving the school after next season.
But rather than claim he was misquoted, Harbaugh has said in subsequent interviews that he was only repeating what he heard.
"It's been widely publicized that he has interviewed for other jobs, and that is what I've heard," Harbaugh said Monday. "I definitely said that. But we bow to no man. We bow to no program here at Stanford University."
Harbaugh was talking about the importance of having a stable coaching staff when he made his initial comments about Carroll. He pointed out that Carroll has had a lengthy stay at USC, but added, "He's only got one more year, though. He'll be there one more year. That's what I've heard. I heard it (from) inside the staff."
Naturally, the comments didn't sit well with the man who returned USC to national prominence. "If he's going to make statements like that, he ought to get his information right," Carroll told the Los Angeles Times. "And if he has any questions about it, he should call me."
Monday, Harbaugh said, "I gave Pete Carroll a compliment, really. He's created a great program at USC and, you know, I said what I've heard, that he won't be there past next year.
I don't claim to be the definitive source on what Pete Carroll is going to do next year."
Asked if he had touched base with Carroll to clear the air, Harbaugh said, "I don't have any questions about his future."

Harbaugh is a prick...a massive prick, and I hope he shows up in Ann Arbor and fails miserably. I have a good buddy who played hockey at Michigan at the same time as Harbaugh, and he has nothing good to say about this prick. He often said he was surprised he could even enter a classroom because his head was too big to get through the door.

He will quickly become more hated than urban legend myer at tOSU.

Unregistered User - Thank you for locating the info that I requested.

Go Gophers!!

Funny thing is, isn't his brother John a nice guy? (not that brothers have to have the same personalities)

Don't forget the Harbaugh/ Schwartz post-game slap. Harbaugh is a hot head and it's a bit surprising a stately blue blood program wants him as the figurehead. Urban Meyer is very refined by comparison.

Pelini might look better by comparison, before all is said and done. I'm hoping for some Hindenburg moments in the coming years. Harbaugh, Franklin, Beckman will give us some entertainment.

Don't forget the Harbaugh/ Schwartz post-game slap. Harbaugh is a hot head and it's a bit surprising a stately blue blood program wants him as the figurehead. Urban Meyer is very refined by comparison.

Pelini might look better by comparison, before all is said and done. I'm hoping for some Hindenburg moments in the coming years. Harbaugh, Franklin, Beckman will give us some entertainment.

Pelini are Harbaugh are both hot heads but in very different ways IMO. With Pelini, there is something about him that he just doesn't seem to get. Something that is lacking that you need to have to be a division I head football coach. I don't get that vibe with Harbaugh. Pelini's act definitely wouldn't have been acceptable at Stanford unlike Harbaugh. And I don't have a huge problem with calling out Michigan's athletic department if he truly does believe that they have admitted some guys that are well below their standards. It's actually refreshing to see a guy with some standards for his alma mater.

And I don't hate Meyer either. In fact it would make me damn proud to have two coaches of this caliber in this conference.

The weird thing with Pelini, is he seems to recruit quality individuals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom