Please, no more talk about tradition!

Reaction score
I don't want to see any Gopher fans talking about a rich tradition anymore, it makes us all look foolish. ABC devoted part of their telecast to ridiculing the drought since we were last relevant. And obviously I like the new stadium, but it's tiny, reeks of corporate sponsorship, and (naturally) has absolutely no tradition. In fact, we've lost most of our games here, including every game this season. So please stop touting championships from before you parent's time like it has ANY meaning today - everyone just laughs at us when we do. The tradition is fielding a B10 doormat.

Pointless I suppose, but it really does bother me to hear fans flappin their gums with the state of the program what it is.

And I bet you think that if you give a bully your lunch money they will leave you alone, right? Smack talkers and bullies are alike in one respect: they come at you harder the more you cave into them. They laugh at you to get under your skin. It's not that our traditions are laughable, what matters is whether you're going to cave. Everyone's traditions seem absurd to outsiders. Michigan has a tradition of jumping up and touching the banner. Means nothing to me, but I'm not a Michigan fan.

Pointless I suppose, but it really does bother me to hear fans flappin their gums with the state of the program what it is.

If that bothers you, walk away. You can always get on the bandwagon with everyone else when things get turned around.

The Turnaround has begun already!

If that bothers you, walk away. You can always get on the bandwagon with everyone else when things get turned around.

The Minnesota coaches are on the verge of getting these guys to verbally commit!

3-stooges-football.jpg

I have to say that to some extent I agree. To me the value of the U of M football tradition can only be realized & relevant as a 'magnifier' of the program's success once the program gets good again.

i.e.
- the gophers own a five game win streak over (Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska) AND THEY LEAD THE ALL TIME SERIES
- the gophers have just won their EIGHTEENTH BIG TEN TITLE
- the gophers have just won their SEVENTH NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

contrast that with gems like,

- so what if we've lost twelve of the last 14 against UW, 13 in a row to Nebraska ... We still lead the all time series

it is entirely appropriate to reconnect with tradition, to honor heroes from the past, put up the championship years in the stadium, etc. It. Is something this program has that many others do not. But it is tiresome to hear people harping on it all the time. For example, and I realize I'll probably get torched for this, but I think the name of this forum is a little embarassing.

it is entirely appropriate to reconnect with tradition, to honor heroes from the past, put up the championship years in the stadium, etc. It. Is something this program has that many others do not. But it is tiresome to hear people harping on it all the time. For example, and I realize I'll probably get torched for this, but I think the name of this forum is a little embarassing.

Another pansy giving his lunch money to the bullies.

Another pansy giving his lunch money to the bullies.

Whatever. It's a stupid thing to harp on or brag about when the team has won six big ten games in four years. You said everyones traditions seem absurd to outsiders. The point is that ours seem absurd to insiders. I'm a 3rd generation season ticket holder and a stadium donor and I think it's nonsense to be bragging about national championships at a time like this. I dint think it's nonsense to recognize the family of Bronko Nagurski, or to retire the jersey of Bobby Bell, but I think that is quite different than what the original poster was commenting on.

Whatever. It's a stupid thing to harp on or brag about when the team has won six big ten games in four years. You said everyones traditions seem absurd to outsiders. The point is that ours seem absurd to insiders. I'm a 3rd generation season ticket holder and a stadium donor and I think it's nonsense to be bragging about national championships at a time like this. I dint think it's nonsense to recognize the family of Bronko Nagurski, or to retire the jersey of Bobby Bell, but I think that is quite different than what the original poster was commenting on.

+1

Where are all these people harping and bragging? I see it a little bit when Badger or Hawkeye fans are on here. But honestly, our rich tradition is about all we have right now. Would you rather all Gopher fans just curl up like France in WWII?

Seriously, do you guys really think most Gopher fans are ok with things right now because we won championships a long time ago?

I think the OP actually made some good points. We don't really have a rich tradition. A tradition is something that is handed down from year to year, decade to decade or generation to generation. Our 'tradition of winning championships' has not been handed down or continued. 'A rich history' maybe would be more appropriate. Yes, probably a matter of semantics.

FWIW I do think this 'rich tradition' thing comes up too often. I was around for some of those championships so I don't have to go back to my parents time. I also think the forum title is bad, and reeks of living in the past.

Just some thoughts-I can't sleep. Too much Folgers maybe?

I think the OP actually made some good points. We don't really have a rich tradition. A tradition is something that is handed down from year to year, decade to decade or generation to generation. Our 'tradition of winning championships' has not been handed down or continued. 'A rich history' maybe would be more appropriate. Yes, probably a matter of semantics.

FWIW I do think this 'rich tradition' thing comes up too often. I was around for some of those championships so I don't have to go back to my parents time. I also think the forum title is bad, and reeks of living in the past.

Just some thoughts-I can't sleep. Too much Folgers maybe?

No because it's not even late. The young people who need to be supporting this program are out getting drunk nit giving a damn. I'm so sick of being the laughingstock.

Seems to me

All the tradition left with the inflation of the teflon baggy in 82.

No, they don't seem absurd to insiders. They seem absurd to a small, but loud minority.

Coincidentally the last time the Gophers won a title these guys were still making movies.

You're right, but it was with Joe DeRita as Curly. Clearly, many steps below the genius that was Jerome Lester Horowitz.

As for the OP, I'm old. There was once a great tradition here. We should do more with it then we've done over the past couple of decades. Bringing the players from that era back to the stadium and recognizing them was one thing that Brewster did correctly.

Top Bottom