Playoff could have used 8 teams this year

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
GA should be in - a travesty to keep it out. FL State fans screaming, and how about Ohio St, lost only to #1 Michigan by 6 pts? Eight would have accommodated them all, plus TX and Oregon. But next year's arrangement looks weird: 12 teams that include the Power 5 champions whatever their rank or record, plus the top four teams skip the first round, which would mean eight would play down to four? Then be joined by the four exempted? Sounds jerry-built and sure to be controversial and wouldn't it require 11 games in all? That would obliterate the bowls and amount to a second season in which a ringer could win it all, as in basketball. Don't like this, don't like the NIL, don't like the open portal. We need a lot of reform to get the game back to rationality, but an expansion to an 8-team playoff would have made sense. It would require seven games rather than three.

I hear you, but they decided on 12, because that makes it a lot less likely that any teams with legitimate championship aspirations will be left out.

and after the cluster that this year's CFP committee produced, I think there will be even more buy-in for the expanded playoff next year.

just for fun, here is what the 12-team playoff would look like this year based on the final CFP rankings

1st round
#8 Oregon vs #9 Missouri -- winner plays #1 Michigan in quarterfinals
#5 Fla State vs #12 Oklahoma -- winner vs #4 Alabama in qtrs
#6 Georgia vs #11 Ole Miss -- winner vs #3 Texas in qtrs
#7 OSU vs #10 Penn State -- winner vs #2 Washington in qtrs

LSU is left out as the #13 team.

Probably should just go to 32 so every division win yet can get in and then we just play forever. The decision was easy this year and they fucked it up. It isn’t about your “eye test”. The games on the field matter and you should have to win them.

Probably should just go to 32 so every division win yet can get in and then we just play forever. The decision was easy this year and they fucked it up. It isn’t about your “eye test”. The games on the field matter and you should have to win them.
Exactly, a win is a win. FSU won the games in front of them along with the conference championship. This "eye-test" is an excuse because the narrative wasn't met.

FCS has 24.
Division II has 28.
Division III has 32.

All with conference autobids.
It's not unreasonable to have 16 for FBS with ALL conference champions getting an autobid.

I hear you, but they decided on 12, because that makes it a lot less likely that any teams with legitimate championship aspirations will be left out.

and after the cluster that this year's CFP committee produced, I think there will be even more buy-in for the expanded playoff next year.

just for fun, here is what the 12-team playoff would look like this year based on the final CFP rankings

1st round

Liberty would’ve been in over Oklahoma

12 was the right answer if all conferences had an auto bid.

If only 5 conferences are getting an auto bid, 8 is better

At large bids ruin college football

Liberty would’ve been in over Oklahoma

12 was the right answer if all conferences had an auto bid.

If only 5 conferences are getting an auto bid, 8 is better

At large bids ruin college football
Yes. Liberty would have been in before OU if every conf. champ gets an auto bid. Just like in D3, UM-Morris got in the playoff and St. Johns did not.

I would like that eliminating or greatly reducing at large bids would force Notre Dame to shit or get off the pot. That they have an equal vote to a conference in FBS football matters is a joke.

1st round

Still think it's too many, and that 9-12 would have almost zero chance, but I'd watch all those games -- which is ultimately what that workgroup cared about.

Still think it's too many, and that 9-12 would have almost zero chance, but I'd watch all those games -- which is ultimately what that workgroup cared about.
Would love 12 if all 9 conference champs got auto bids. 3 loss teams lose autobid status and it converts to an at large.

This year 10 conference champs. Boise loses their auto bid

1 - 13-0 Michigan
Vs
8 - 11-2 Oregon Vs 13-0 Liberty

4- 12-1 Alabama
Vs
5-13-0 Florida State vs 11-2 Miami OH

3 - 12-1 Texas
Vs
6 - 12-1 Georgia vs 11-2 Troy

2 - 13-0 Washington
Vs
7- 11-1 Ohio State vs 11-2 SMU

And if you don’t want to see those opening round games. I don’t care.

Let's be honest, 6 team playoffs with SEC and Big Ten getting a bye.

And for outsiders jealous that the big dogs eat first, well, that outsider dog will be eaten soon too.

Let's be honest, 6 team playoffs with SEC and Big Ten getting a bye.

And for outsiders jealous that the big dogs eat first, well, that outsider dog will be eaten soon too.
The problem with 6 is that in one season there may be 5 11-1 big ten teams and none of them played each other plus another 3 from the SEC and an unbeaten ACC team

Schedules are now broken

Would love 12 if all 9 conference champs got auto bids. 3 loss teams lose autobid status and it converts to an at large.

This year 10 conference champs. Boise loses their auto bid

1 - 13-0 Michigan
Vs
8 - 11-2 Oregon Vs 13-0 Liberty

4- 12-1 Alabama
Vs
5-13-0 Florida State vs 11-2 Miami OH

3 - 12-1 Texas
Vs
6 - 12-1 Georgia vs 11-2 Troy

2 - 13-0 Washington
Vs
7- 11-1 Ohio State vs 11-2 SMU

And if you don’t want to see those opening round games. I don’t care.
I really like this. Especially to losing the auto bid with 3 losses. Now to be fair, if an SEC or B1G champion ends with three losses - they should lose the auto bid as well.

I firmly believe every conference should get an auto bid.

The problem with 6 is that in one season there may be 5 11-1 big ten teams and none of them played each other plus another 3 from the SEC and an unbeaten ACC team

Schedules are now broken

I was joking with hard truth mixed in.

Eat. ;)

4 was plenty if they made the obvious choice. 3 undefeated P5 Champs, and the team who won head to head between the other 12-1 champs.
I GUARANTEE you'd be singing a different tune if the Gophers were 13-0 or 12-1 but passed over by a team with an equal record.

I want a 32-team playoff.

I have ZERO interest in fairness or integrity of the regular season. ZERO. I'm for anything that gives the non-paying schools a chance. Screw the Ohio States & Alabamas.

I GUARANTEE you'd be singing a different tune if the Gophers were 13-0 or 12-1 but passed over by a team with an equal record.
A 13-0 team shouldn't have been passed over. And if my team was 12-1 and got passed over for a 12-1 record that beat us head to head, I'd understand that's how it works. In 2019, we had the same conference record as Wisconsin and got left out of the title game because of head to head. No one here complained that system was unfair (we complained plenty about us losing the game).

I support a 16 team playoff with autobids for every conference (not just P5), but if the committee had done it right, this was not the year that proved 4 was unworkable

G5 guaranteed bids have gone from none to 1.

But you want them to go to 5??

You’re not real. The NCAA does not run the postseason in FBS. They have no authority to do so and will never be allowed to do so, unless of course all the power programs leave the NCAA for their own association.

G5 guaranteed bids have gone from none to 1.

But you want them to go to 5??

You’re not real. The NCAA does not run the postseason in FBS. They have no authority to do so and will never be allowed to do so, unless of course all the power programs leave the NCAA for their own association.
What I want and what I think will happen don’t have anything to do with each other

Maybe some day you’ll learn that about what you want? Have you accepted the gophers are going bowling yet? Or do you still think navy might

Any bowl could have waited for Navy. No rule language forbids that. Never said anything beyond that

I don't really care about FSU or any other non-B10 team but it's an absolute farce that an undefeated P5 team isn't in. This is as much of a joke as the BCS was.
5 doesn't go into 4 as 5 didn't go into 2 in the past.

What I want and what I think will happen don’t have anything to do with each other

Maybe some day you’ll learn that about what you want? Have you accepted the gophers are going bowling yet? Or do you still think navy might
Next he'll tell us how school districts should work.

As do I. Like every other level of football.
And pretty much every other sport. I can't think of another league where a team that goes a whole season winning every game it plays can not finish as champion.

Top Bottom